Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pano roof in hot climate....smart?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Speed21 comments. I love it, but the back seat passengers really love it. The kids get the best, but it really does lighten up the black interior.

aybe the new models are better as ours doesnt creak/groan. Its new but we have done a few kms on good ol OZ corrugations.

A better tint is a heat rejection tint. These are not always darker, in fact limo tints are like black paint.
Look up V-Kooll, and there was a tint advertised on this forum recently as well. V-Kool has a mettalized film so mobile/cell reception can be reduced, where this film cliams it doesnt.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My wife's 06 BMW X3 has a pano. She never opens it and you would never know it was there unless you looked. We'ver never had a problem or a "peep/squeek" out of it in almost 75K miles. My 10 GTS DE3 has a pano so this is a good thread. I never thought about the concerns/isuues raised here.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carcam, I see you ordered the insulating glass with the pano roof.

1) Does the pano roof defeat the purpose of the insulating glass because noise now enters through the roof? (when roof is closed of course). Or do you find the insulating glass a worthy option with and without the pano roof? Are you happy with both the pano roof and the insulating glass? I am considering both these options. If you ordered again, would you order with both options?

2) I will never really open the pano roof, so do you all still think it's worth it for the view alone?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I've never been much of a sunroof guy, just didn't see the point to open a little hole. I got the pano roof because I found a deal on a cayenne (I wouldn't have ordered it). I use the damn thing all the time. It's almost like a convertible, and it's a cheap option for porsche. It's turned me into a 6 year old - I get excited when the weather is warm enough to open the top and turn up the stereo.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 AM
997CS4
Instructor

Good question, SUVp.cay; I'm very interested in the answer on the first question. I am finalizing my order this month.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
vckjzvnv37
7th Gear

Great thread idea.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Hud99
Advanced

What does the ceiling cover of the pano look like? From other threads, I sense that its not a full cover but mesh type? Haven't seen one so I'm asking. Is the pano cover the same as the moon roof cover in design? Any pics of the pano in closed position? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the ceiling cover of the pano look like?
I was very disappointed during the test drives, some perforated cloth type of covering on a roller, that electrically gets pulled out. Looked really cheap, turned me off, and I decided not to get it. Especially when I saw the proper solid cover the X5 had that is the same as a moon roof cover.

Wife pleaded to get the Pano, and said "why would you ever retract the cover and ruin that beautiful view anyways?" She was actually right, I ended up getting the Pano, and never had any need to look at that cover!

Never felt a heat issue either, then again I live in Canada!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

I have a 09 CTTS with pano and love it. It's the equivalent of a targa (had an 07 T4S). No squeaking or creaking, just plenty of fresh air. Glad I have it and would do again. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

We have a Cayenne S (Tit Edit) with a Pano roof, and, since brand new, we did now more than 100'000 miles. I would say, the total number of miles with the roof open, ..should be less than 20 !!!

Reason : Very simple when you open it, and drive the car at 65mph on freeways, it looks inside like a "cat 5" hurricane !

It is true that it is very nice, ..if you stop at your favorite fast food, eat inside, ..and let the smell go high in the sky ! Also, it is nice to have a lot of light in the car, particularly in the cold seasons.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

If I lived in Northern climate, I would get it for sure.

My question was geared toward guys that live in hot climates only. TX, FL, AZ, NM, SoCal, etc. For those of you who live there, what are your thoughts?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
We have a Cayenne S (Tit Edit) with a Pano roof, and, since brand new, we did now more than 100'000 miles. I would say, the total number of miles with the roof open, ..should be less than 20 !!!

Reason : Very simple when you open it, and drive the car at 65mph on freeways, it looks inside like a "cat 5" hurricane !

It is true that it is very nice, ..if you stop at your favorite fast food, eat inside, ..and let the smell go high in the sky ! Also, it is nice to have a lot of light in the car, particularly in the cold seasons.
Good info...but, if you order another Cayenne, will you order one with the Pano roof again?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
e36bmer
Track Day

I live in West Texas, and it gets really hot here. So, I had 20% tint put over the tint that's already there all around the car. I even got 80% put on the windshield(practically clear, but they threw it in and said it reflects heat). I can tell that has significantly reduced the heat coming from the pano roof. with that up and the shade going on. i'd say I get less sun in my car than a non sunroof car with stock tint gets.

This was an option I kinda wanted when I got my Cayenne. But, now that I have it, I am so happy. I use it all the time and people hop in the car and the first thing they say is 'wow' and look at the sunroof.

downfalls: it doesn't leak in the rain, but when i go in a car-wash, the dryers blow some soap/water inside Also, it's a little noisy when driving at interstate speeds. I've been trying to figure out the issue, but haven't quite gotten it. I think my next step is to try to squeeze some weed eater string into the inside of the gasket to make it seal better. Still, these are minor issues to the cool factor of the roof.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay
Good info...but, if you order another Cayenne, will you order one with the Pano roof again?
Yes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

When the pano roof is closed, how man of you hear wind noise coming from it at highway speed?

If I plan on keeping my Cayenne for 8 to 10 years, is it best to not get the pano roof...to prevent creaking, noises, or other problems that will likely occur from it in the later years of ownership?

Quick Reply: Pano roof in hot climate....smart?