Sponsored by:

Automatic trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic trunk

Finalizing my order this week and am undecided on the automatic trunk/rear hatch lid option. I hesitate to keep this on the option list because I like to be able to cram the trunk full when necessary, and my experience with other automatic trunks is that sensors refuse to allow the trunk to close if any items are not fully inside (i.e. no "cram it in" override"). The reason I ask is that where I am, all Cayennes are optioned with the power rear hatch so I cannot personally test the standard rear hatch function, and the final coupling mechanism seems to be automatic on both the automatic and manual hatches, so that may prevent cramming no matter how ordered. Thanks...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes one cant overload the boot.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
yes one cant overload the boot.
Wish it was an option for me (or more importantly that the rear window opened separately) as I cram too, but you can still cram to some degree.

It's true it won't close on its own in such a case, but when it gets to the point where it refuses to do it you can manually close it the rest of the way.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a glass opening would be nice indeed. its would also be nice if P relocated the wiper underneath the spoiler for a cleaner look.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I beg to differ.
I have added items to the back, which the automatic "won't close"
(it gives its angry little beep and stops trying to crush the box filling the opening).

If one gives the hatch a gentle push to close, it will latch properly.

Not just once, but almost every trip we take to Vancouver this happens.

I wouldn't buy an SUV without automatic hatch, unless it truly failed the "I want to fit more than you say I can" test.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While were complaining ...

I also found the split hatch on my X5 more practical:
- Can sit on the bottom hatch ramp that was good for 500lbs (put on ski boots, etc)
- Can slide stuff out, without scratching bumper (bottom hatch protected it).
- Have a longer trunk extended by bottom hatch, for supporting long objects.
- Can drive with the bottom open, and only the smaller top hatch in the air with something hanging out of the trunk.
- Can drive with bottom closed, and top hatch open and have a nice downward angle for stuff like 2x4x10's to not fly out.
- Can leave top hatch open for those items that fit the bottom, but angled top cuts short.
- And most important, harder to smack your head!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Thanks all. As long as a gentle push is all it takes to cram, then I can still spend the $950 for the automatic hatch. Hoo-ray.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i find it interesting the "standard" options that aren't standard other places in the world.. the auto closing trunk can be annoying. but you can always override.. one thing about the new chassis is you can really pack it FULL of stuff... i would always think there is now way this door is going to shut, and it would shut no problem.. i do like the old "flip up" window.. but we can't have everything... they had to save weight here and there.

Quick Reply: Automatic trunk