Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS vs S

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you when you look at the price differential between those two cars. One an optioned up S, the other (GTS) an out of box package. At the end of the day option costs are never recoverable on resale. If you guys had the V8 diesel which would you choose then?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

I would pick the diesel, though it's a little more dicey here because diesel fuel is not ubiquitous. The mpg is much better. I don't much care about resale issues because I keep my cars for 9-10 years, so I use up the value and have longer to enjoy the extras.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
speed21
Banned

Diesel and petrol prices are much the same here, petrol being the cheaper if not by a great deal. But yes the mileage is better in the diesel for sure. Fuel costs have never been much of an issue for me personally but the person who buys used may feel differently....not that anyone buys a car to sell it in that sense. But things do change and it's always good to know the exit strategy is sound if one needs to draw upon it. Being an SUV for me it is essentially a more utility type vehicle so practicality does (slightly) out weight the performance factor even though all these new cayennes deliver quite well in a handling and general performance sense. My main issue is the lead time for the V8 diesel and now looking at the GTS it does look very well packaged for the money....and its ready to go. The only thing missing really is the PTV and PDDC, as those things have to be built in on order.

So am I hearing you guys would prefer to sit out the 5 months for the V8 diesel in favour of the GTS that's ready to go? Hmmm. The GTS is very tempting.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

I saw a GTS on the lot last week (that's what I drove). It did not have the PTV and PDDC. I chose to order my own with those 2 features as I think they're quite important for the handling. I did drive an S with those additions. My GTS is now coming in May. I must confess the existing car was very tempting and drove very well even without PDCC and PTV.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
The only thing missing really is the PTV and PDDC, as those things have to be built in on order.
My understanding is that PTV is standard with the GTS, but PTV Plus and PDCC are options. I don't have these options, and I don't think they're needed. Handling is great without them - cornering is excellent, and roll is minimal.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by kocsis
I saw a GTS on the lot last week (that's what I drove). It did not have the PTV and PDDC. I chose to order my own with those 2 features as I think they're quite important for the handling. I did drive an S with those additions. My GTS is now coming in May. I must confess the existing car was very tempting and drove very well even without PDCC and PTV.
These are nice options to have but they are exxy and im just not sure if ill see the value out of them. I mean the vehicle is a truck and generally you would tend to not race it around in the same way you would say a 911. Would you say the feeling was really noticeable all the time on the S that had these options?...or just noticeable when you really pushed it in corners?

Originally Posted by Manifold
My understanding is that PTV is standard with the GTS, but PTV Plus and PDCC are options. I don't have these options, and I don't think they're needed. Handling is great without them - cornering is excellent, and roll is minimal.
Yes I'm told the GTS is tight on the road but not sure if it's too tight for a car of this nature or if the standard S has the more suitable ride characteristic for this type of vehicle. I guess I'd have to drive one to make that evaluation but getting a drive of a new GTS with only a few K's on the clock may not be possible so it'd be good to get a few impressions from those that have back to backed these two cars. I'm assuming the ride isn't jarring such as the sports chrono mode on the 911..?...or do you need to be in comfort all the time? Is comfort in the GTS the same as normal in the S or is comfort more like the same as sport in the S?

I have to look into whether PTV is standard on the V8 diesel but i see PTV plus is.
It doesn't have full leather (7k) or the alcantara hood lining (5K) which are both really nice features. And with the panoramic roof (which is a must for me) you don't get much Alcantara for the money. Then there are the active headlights with the led rim, the body kit and exclusive front bar etc. By the time you add all those in on the diesel it makes it an expensive vehicle. And then there's that wait....but no disputing its got some power and the economy to go with it. Hmmm.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the PTV and PDCC were not worth the $5k extra given my intended use. However you can feel a difference with them when driving the car. All comes down to how you drive it I guess.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I do wish the standard GTS seats had more (and adjustable) lumbar support. But so far they're fine for me, and the lateral support is excellent.

Another thing to note with the GTS is that it's probably wise to invest in good radar/laser stuff. Very hard to stay anywhere close to speed limits with this thing ...
really bugs me - i need lumbar these days for longer drives.

problem is that i also love the alcantera inserts as they are so nice on the butt in the cold of winter. nothing like sitting on regular leather & they heat up like rockets
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

The only time PDCC and PTV plus matter are in situations where sports car-like performance is relevant - notably in curves taken at somewhat high speeds. My 911 feels like it's on rails when I take a narrow road with S curves, or when I take a tight exit from the highway. Driving on straight highways, it makes no difference. The normal driving mode seems fine for most circumstances in the GTS - seems very much like normal position in the S. If you're trying to get that magical feeling of driving a truck but making it feel like a sports car, the GTS with PDCC and PTV+ comes closest.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kocsis
The only time PDCC and PTV plus matter are in situations where sports car-like performance is relevant - notably in curves taken at somewhat high speeds. My 911 feels like it's on rails when I take a narrow road with S curves, or when I take a tight exit from the highway. Driving on straight highways, it makes no difference. The normal driving mode seems fine for most circumstances in the GTS - seems very much like normal position in the S. If you're trying to get that magical feeling of driving a truck but making it feel like a sports car, the GTS with PDCC and PTV+ comes closest.
For me, PDCC and PTV+ along with PASM and the lower suspension setting A/S allows, make my S more fun at all times, not just when I'm pushing hard. The added responsiveness is apparent every time I turn into a corner, at any speed. There is no lag, it just goes where I point it; amazing for an SUV. It's a matter of personal taste, no question, but for me it makes even everyday driving more enjoyable.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
For me, PDCC and PTV+ along with PASM and the lower suspension setting A/S allows, make my S more fun at all times, not just when I'm pushing hard. The added responsiveness is apparent every time I turn into a corner, at any speed. There is no lag, it just goes where I point it; amazing for an SUV. It's a matter of personal taste, no question, but for me it makes even everyday driving more enjoyable.
IMO, that's the key. No one needs an SUV with these capabilities and such high cost. We're fortunate to be talking about wants.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM
speed21
Banned

Out of curiosity how many litres per 100 do you guys see out of these petrol 8's doing round town driving?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity how many litres per 100 do you guys see out of these petrol 8's doing round town driving?
i have had mine for 4.5 years and constant average of 15 l or so per 100. low average is 13.8 on more extended and high about 16.5 average around town.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you when you look at the price differential between those two cars. One an optioned up S, the other (GTS) an out of box package. At the end of the day option costs are never recoverable on resale. If you guys had the V8 diesel which would you choose then?
v8 diesel
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i have had mine for 4.5 years and constant average of 15 l or so per 100. low average is 13.8 on more extended and high about 16.5 average around town.
That's pretty good all things considering.

Originally Posted by mooty
v8 diesel
Yes V8 Diesel is looking more and more logical by the day, but ooh the wait. June seems so far away for my wife...

There is also rumour that the my14 GTS may see the V8 diesel too as the pecking order has now been upset. And hearing that i'm now less likely to risk it with the GTS petrol because if that v8 diesel materialises in the MY 14 GTS then it's light$ out. The bath on the petrol GTS will be ugly. Sigh.

Quick Reply: GTS vs S