Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS vs S

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong, I have 06 S Titanium Edition, but if I had choice at the time, I would have bought GTS.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Mike, I'm sure your Cayenne is great. I wasn't really looking at it as a bargain, more of "Gee, I specced this base Cayenne to $82K - why not look at the GTS?" I tried to do a base Cayenne (or diesel Cayenne) in the mid-to-high $60Ks, but I couldn't hold back from the options. At that point, the GTS makes more sense for the money (even if it's not cheap).
Chris, maybe I misunderstood your original post. I was only trying to make the point that Porsche rarely gives anything away for free. If you spec an S and GTS identically, (at least insofar as you can) the GTS offers no advantage as far as getting some options more cheaply. In fact, some option combinations are cheaper if you buy an S. But the GTS does have stuff you can't get on an S, and if those particular options are important to someone, then the choice is obvious, regardless of the premium. I can certainly understand why in that case a GTS would be more attractive. The GTS wasn't available when I ordered my '11 S so I wasn't tempted.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 13 GTS is awesome. Stiff n sport. REally! You guys must be use to driving couches. Great DD.
Don't hesitate. LLTF
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,495 Posts

Review from Top Gear: http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/ca...est/gts-driven

Porsche's people like to claim the new Cayenne GTS brings ‘emotion' to its insanely popular SUV range. And they're right. That emotion mainly being: "How in God's name am I managing to corner this fast in a two-tonne 4x4?"

The Cayenne is a Porsche that will always split opinion, but, once you're on the move, it's always had that essential Stuttgart DNA. It shrinks around you in a way that the BMW X5s and Audi Q5s of this world simply can't match. And the GTS version moves the game on once again.

The normally aspirated 4.8-litre V8 from the Cayenne S has been fettled to release another 20bhp, up to 414bhp, with peak torque of 380lb ft coming in at 3,500rpm. It's also 160kg lighter than its predecessor, all of which means a 0-62mph time of 5.7secs and a vmax of 162mph. That's a second slower to 62mph than the range-topping Cayenne Turbo, but then choosing the GTS - as 17 per cent of owners have done - will save you around £20,000.

The suspension is lowered on a completely revised chassis set-up: by 24mm on the standard steel springs or 20mm if you choose air suspension. Plus, of course, there's Porsche's familiar alphabet soup of options. Trick active suspension management (PASM) is fitted as standard, but for the full ‘emotion' described above, you'll want Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) to further reduce body roll, and Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) to improve handling.

The result? The best-handling SUV we've driven to date. With the Sport button pressed, the steering response and lack of roll is remarkable: just point and go. It's only really when braking from speed that you become aware of all that mass surrounding you.

Even in Sport mode (Comfort and Normal modes are also available), the ride handles broken surfaces very well on 21in wheels (20-inchers come as standard). This was definitely not the case in the last Cayenne GTS. That should please James, even if it was apparently the results of strenuous testing at the 'Ring...

On public roads, in fact, it's so good that you're actually grateful for Porsche's Sound Symposer tech as it's the main reminder of just how fast you're going: the engine induction is piped into the cabin via the A-pillars, as fitted to the new 911.

Of course, there is a school of thought that says acting the racing driver in a £70k Porsche soft-roader with its PDCC and its PASM and its PTV simply makes you a bit of a GIT. But relevance to the real world aside, this is a remarkable feat of engineering. While we wait for a go in the new SUVs from Bentley and Lamborghini, the Cayenne GTS has set a new benchmark.

Chris Mooney

The numbers
4803cc, V8, 4WD, 414bhp, 380lb ft, 26.0mpg, 251g/km CO2, 0-62 in 5.7secs, 162mph, 2085kg

The verdict
As with the Panamera, the GTS version of the Cayenne is the right choice. It won't match the Turbo for outright pace, but it's better value.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I own a 13 GTS and the seats are comfortable. I am 5'11 210 pounds. I think top gear has it right it shrinks around you. It s nearly as much fun to drive as my 991. Mine is all blacked with 21" black wheels from the factory. If you want a road sofa buy a Cadillac Escallade. I used to have one. The Cadillac drives like a barn with a steering wheel in it. The GTS will astound you in how well it handles. I think it rides great. No 100K vehicle is a value. You just do it because you want to and can.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

I have or had gts (old style), v6 new style, diesel
all wonderful cars, way faster than need b. and I have had plenty of fast cars.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

One caution on the GTS (which the Top Gear review mentions). The thing is fast and beckons you to go fast, and you'll often find that you're going much faster than you realized, so make sure you leave enough room to get your braking done!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Talked to the wife today (and my detailer) - if the new RS4 Avant doesn't come to the US (I'm #1 on the list at my local dealer), I'm getting a GTS instead. Thanks for all the owner feedback here! When it comes time to order the car, I'll run the list by you guys to make sure I don't miss any options...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Worth to see. Use CC feature.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was surprised to find that you can only get the 8 way seats if you want the stitching GTS package
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i was surprised to find that you can only get the 8 way seats if you want the stitching GTS package
I do wish the standard GTS seats had more (and adjustable) lumbar support. But so far they're fine for me, and the lateral support is excellent.

Another thing to note with the GTS is that it's probably wise to invest in good radar/laser stuff. Very hard to stay anywhere close to speed limits with this thing ...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I had a 11' S and traded it for 13' GTS, I was blown away after my first test drive, the sound was intoxicating and I loved the sportier look with all the cosmetic options included in the price.
After a couple of months, my honeymoon is over, I find the ride to be very harsh even in comfort mode, I honestly cant tell that much of a difference between PASM modes, it sounds fantastic from the outside but the interior sound symposer gimmick is getting on my nerves and it cant seat my three boys comfortably in the back, none wants to seat in the middle.
Maybe the US/Canada- spec is less stiffer than the Euro version due to its marginally higher ride height as standard, my "S" was definetely a much more comfortable but very controlled ride.
I am kind of dissapointed with my GTS as a DD, I already have a 911 so no need for an SUV with sport manners, I am letting this go and get me an S or diesel with the GTS appearance SportDesign Package as a must option, I'll just wait until the facelift is due.
Interesting. Have placed an order for a new V8 diesel S last week... but not due till June (damn) so there's a bit of a wait and then a year on the facelift is apparently due. Was just looking at a GTS ready to go now, certainly an very attractive package so I'm now torn whether to wait for the V8 S Diesel or to just get the GTS now. Whilst i absolutely love the look of the GTS after reading your account I now have a few doubts on the higher bolstering and firmer suspension. Are those two issues that much of a deal breaker? Did yours have the PTV and PDDC?

PS I haven't driven the GTS yet but have driven a V6 diesel with pasm and 14 way seats which rode very well and was comfy, handled great and had good power. But hmm the GTS certainly does have a great look with the more aggressive looking front bar, headlight and grille set up etc...

Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I drove the GTS with the GTS seats. I'm 5'9" and 164 lbs. I thought the GTS seats were excellent, and the car in "normal" mode handled very cmfortably and even in sports mode was comfortable. I switched from the S to the GTS due to the amazing handling of the latter. I drove the diesel, and found the engine lacking. From the handling standpoint I believe that PDCC and PTV+ will make the diesel handle extremely well, though the GTS is lower and has wheels staggered and wider apart, providing some more stability. In a diesel without PDCC and PTC+ the handling (especially in curves) was significantly more SUV-like (induced a bit of motion sickness in my highly sensitive wife in the aggressive curves).
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where abouts did you find the V6 diesel lacking in comparison to GTS v8 petrol? Was it just the noise, or where did you feel it lacking? The V6 diesel felt to me to have had the power to shunt the weight around a bit better at trafficable speeds than the petrol V8 S (i'm told GTS is better than V8 S). I'm sure without any traffic and on an open road the V8S/V8GTS would be better but the V8S engine appeared to need more revs to produce what the V6 diesel had when you needed it. What mainly interested me with the GTS was the general trim level and the look of the exterior. No doubt it looks a very nice package and its obviously no slouch....altho maybe a bit thirsty. A down side to the GTS may prove to be the economy which may also knock the resale around. But not sure about the ride and the seat bolstering...

PS. The diesel i've ordered is the v8 with 282kw/850 mms of torques....apparently a bit of a monster on par with the turbo, so power not so much an issue, but more so the base spec of the trim and general look. I see the GTS has the same 0 to 100 times but not sure about the in gear 60 to 130's.... but the GTS has undeniably a great interior and exterior.. That is what i'm torn over mainly. But ultimately the drive is what its all about. The GTS looks so good vs the new V8 diesel which has all that power and economy. Hmmm..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

We don't have the V8 diesel in the US. Only the V6 with 240 hp, 406 lbs torque. For a V6 diesel it's surprisingly quick, but does not match the S, in my view. The fuel economy is attractive, though. The GTS look, for the most part, can be achieved with the sport design package, sports exhaust and wider tires, at least in the US. The few differences (the turbo "mouth", wider tires) are not such a huge deal. I just found that once I added the GTS look, the S priced out close to the GTS, and the improved drive (lower chassis, wider tires, somewhat more power) was worth it.

Quick Reply: GTS vs S