Sponsored by:

GTS vs S

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GTS vs S

I know that this topic has been addressed before. Nonetheless... I have on order an S with all of the goodies: about $94k MSRP. A recent post made me think about changing the order to a GTS, for around a $9k difference. What do you think? I am very interested in sportscar- like performance but cannot buy a car that my wife will claim is too hard to sit in, too rough to ride in (it will be as much her car as mine, with my 997 as my other car). Does air suspension smooth out the ride? Is the car too rough?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

I just got a GTS, and have driven the base and diesel, but not the S. The GTS blows the base and diesel away with respect to sportiness. Can't compare with the S, but there's no way I couldn't get the GTS after driving it.

The GTS ride is comfy in comfort mode, sports car firm in sport mode, and in between in normal mode.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The GTS is worth the difference. Check the standard spec on both models - the GTS comes with a lot of goodies "thrown in" for less than they'd cost on an S.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The GTS is worth the difference. Check the standard spec on both models - the GTS comes with a lot of goodies "thrown in" for less than they'd cost on an S.
Plus you can't spec the S to have everything the GTS offers.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

GTS doesn't have an all leather pkg. pretty sure or hi end in cluster computer.....I want an 09 but my 04CTT is loaded not to mention much much faster. Probably just gonna upgrade to an 06 TTS to get some mileage back.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned that your wife's preferences are important to you. The big difference between the S and the GTS, on a day-to-day basis, for your wife will be the seats. The GTS has high side bolsters on the front seats that she may find to be annoying and uncomfortable. The S, by contrast, has very nice seats that are easy to get into and out of. A "S" with the PASM package will satisfy both of your needs. My wife loves her 2011 "S" and so do I. The extra performance of the GTS is academic unless you take it onto the track. (not sure why you would do that). My other car is a GT3.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

For me it came down to preferring the GTS looks ($5k performance package on the S), sound (can you get the sport exhaust on the S?), and interior options (love the full leather with alcantara which I don't think is available on the S). The extra power is just icing, as I agree with you in that you wont notice it on the street and I have no intention of tracking the car.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Isn't the dash on the GTS that cheesy grained vinyl? That's the killer for me. Love alcantara and the body kit and exhaust but man I love my full leather option...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Full leather (including the stitched dash) is available with all three seat options. Checkout the online builder at porscheusa.com

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Isn't the dash on the GTS that cheesy grained vinyl? That's the killer for me. Love alcantara and the body kit and exhaust but man I love my full leather option...
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
The extra performance of the GTS is academic unless you take it onto the track.
I respectfully disagree. Better handling on the road means more fun and more safety. I do intend to track the GTS one or two days, but only to get a better sense of the vehicle's limits in an environment safer than the road.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

A GTS makes a lot of sense IF you are already wanting many of the items that are standard on the GTS, but optional on the S. For me, this includes (but is not limited to):
  • Air suspension with PASM
  • Bi-xenon lights
  • Sport design body package
  • 20" wheels
  • Sports exhaust

Aside from that, the extra 20 hp is not extreme, but still a 5% bump. Plus, I like the turbo body style and the sound symposer is GTS-only, which adds to the sound over and above the sports exhaust.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GTS back seats

I read somewhere (in a British mag) that the GTS has only two sports back seats. Is that true - I really need the bench seats for 3 in the back.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I just got a GTS, and have driven the base and diesel, but not the S. The GTS blows the base and diesel away with respect to sportiness. Can't compare with the S, but there's no way I couldn't get the GTS after driving it.

The GTS ride is comfy in comfort mode, sports car firm in sport mode, and in between in normal mode.
I need to clarify some things on the GTS ride.

In comfort mode, it's reasonably comfy, but still not as comfy as a Lexus or MB, and the handling is somewhat floppy and unsatisfying for a driving enthusiast. I'll probably never use comfort mode.

In sport mode, when I say it's sports car firm, I mean it. You'll feel the grain of the road, and not be soaking up bumps. But this won't be an issue at all on reasonably smooth roads, and the handling is great. This is my default mode, even on somewhat bad roads.

In normal mode, you get a good compromise. Still good handling, but a ride that passengers would find more tolerable.

Of course, best approach is to do a test drive on varying roads, trying all the modes.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kocsis
I read somewhere (in a British mag) that the GTS has only two sports back seats. Is that true - I really need the bench seats for 3 in the back.
The back seat will handle three people, but the middle person will be less comfortable: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=2195
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
johndgt3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove two different 2013 cayenne gts's today and I'm extremely impressed. My short .02.......

My favorite of the gts models came with the pdcc option, a must for the purist. It has gt3 characteristics when full sport is turned on. Very flat in the corners, very quick rebound, firm ride, not harsh, reminds me of the default pasm settings in a 997gt3 and a exhaust note you will not find on any Porsche v8 model. I would say it's the best Porsche v8 exhaust note I've ever heard. The ride height and overall look also makes the Cayenne S look so standard, even the Turbo has a soft look compared to the gts. The interior was just beautiful, a mix of full leather and alcantara. Dash, doors, grab handles, etc... A real winner in my book at a good value.

The new Cayenne gts gets my vote hands down to any of my past Cayanne's. And that's coming from owning a mix of 1st and 2nd gen Cayenne Turbo and Turbo S models too.

Quick Reply: GTS vs S