Sponsored by:

955 V8 broken Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 955 V8 broken Intake Plenum

Hello guys, this is something that definitely I'm ashamed of myself,., I just broke the rear intake manifold tip where one of the small vacuum hose goes connected. i was removing this manifold intake to have access to the old plastic coolant pipes. Is just time to replace those plastic coolant pipes and seems is time to replace the intake manifold too...
Here below is the picture of how it is now...the left arrow is the broken tip. The right arrow is just a plastic cover covering another tip. my question is,,,,can I use this tip to connect the vacuum hose which should be connected in the broken tip? It looks to be a spare vacuum line connection tip. Does anybody know if I can seal the broken tip and connect the hose into this other tip?

If yes, it would be great. if not,,,I would need to start calling Stealerships or savages.......
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
carreragttech
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a piece of steel or aluminum pipe and superglue a 1 inch piece in with .5 inch sticking up let it harden the take the plastic piece the broke off and glue on the reminder of the pipe! It will be stronger then stock and if done correctly will look stock also!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great idea carreragttech.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carreragttech
Get a piece of steel or aluminum pipe and superglue a 1 inch piece in with .5 inch sticking up let it harden the take the plastic piece the broke off and glue on the reminder of the pipe! It will be stronger then stock and if done correctly will look stock also!
That's a great idea, I really thank you!! Today I was thinking on doing some kind of thread to the manifold where it broke and threading in a hose male stud of same diameter. But it is not a flat surface to thread taping it. Also,,,where to get such male stud? and the debris inside the manifold is not maybe a big thing, it can be easy taken out by blowing or shaking the manifold (with throttle body and injectors pipe weights like 25 pounds)..,that tiny piece of pipe is going to be a little hard to find here around Houston.

Tomorrow I'm going to look around for the little pipe, will keep you posted once I finish with it, and a nice picture!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

I did a repair on my plastic intake (turbo 996) and after over 3 years it is still holding. I have used 5 minutes epoxy with a little bit of fiberglass. Once the tube is in place, glue with superglue to hold it in place, after I applied the epoxy resin 5 minutes to the fiberglass (impregnated) and just turn 1 1/2 turn around the base of the tube. Forgot to mention I used little bit of sand paper to remove the glossy finish of the plastic tube and the intake to be sure the glue got a proper grip....I would not used the second tap because it did not look exactly in the same position and I would be worried that it did not have the same effect. But it is really hard to judge from your picture.

carreragttech got also a very good suggestion.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Angry

Originally Posted by jpflip
I did a repair on my plastic intake (turbo 996) and after over 3 years it is still holding. I have used 5 minutes epoxy with a little bit of fiberglass. Once the tube is in place, glue with superglue to hold it in place, after I applied the epoxy resin 5 minutes to the fiberglass (impregnated) and just turn 1 1/2 turn around the base of the tube. Forgot to mention I used little bit of sand paper to remove the glossy finish of the plastic tube and the intake to be sure the glue got a proper grip....I would not used the second tap because it did not look exactly in the same position and I would be worried that it did not have the same effect. But it is really hard to judge from your picture.

carreragttech got also a very good suggestion.
Reinforcing with fiberglass is very smart ! . When you say "Once the tube is in place, glue with superglue to hold it in place, after I applied the epoxy resin 5 minutes to the fiberglass (impregnated) and just turn 1 1/2 turn around the base of the tube." ....is about the new tube? the new tube that is going to be inserted in the hole, that it would need then later a little bit of fiberglass?

thank you for your valuable input !
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

If you can find out what type of plastic it is, you can also try a plastic specific glue (ex. abs or pvc). These glues are also solvents and when used melt the plastic slightly to bond everything together. The problem is the glues are plastic specific so, for example, abs glue won't work on pvc or others. Some Porsche plastic parts have a symbol that indicates the type of plastic. If you can get the right match you can get a very solid bond.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochy
Reinforcing with fiberglass is very smart ! . When you say "Once the tube is in place, glue with superglue to hold it in place, after I applied the epoxy resin 5 minutes to the fiberglass (impregnated) and just turn 1 1/2 turn around the base of the tube." ....is about the new tube? the new tube that is going to be inserted in the hole, that it would need then later a little bit of fiberglass?

thank you for your valuable input !

Yes , you can see it has a reinforcement especially if the rubber hose going to that pipe is under stress or the other end is located on the body. It was my case and I was afraid vibration from the engine could damage the pipe again. You will found your own and best solution after reading all the suggestions. None of them are bad. But I am convince it can be repaired. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Angry 955 V8 Broken Intake manifold

jpoint.,.,absolutely true, the reality is I haven't really found a pipe with such small size yet..,.today I check the manifold, the polymer is PA6 known as Nylon 6 or polycaprolactam. I've been browsing the internet and some hardware stores around to see what i can find with similar size, good enough for this application..,.,no success so far. I'm going to consider the plastic to plastic code bonding as you pointed ,.,to make sure I'm not going to fix it again in the future.

jpflip,., you bet ! After all these inputs now I have a better idea how to solve this issue keeping it simple & effective. Seem nobody would try to use the nipple next to the broken one (shown with a plastic cap in the picture with small red arrow).

Just for you to picture the size of the hole and pipe I need to match.,.it is almost exactly as those coffee straws.
Here's a picture of an antenna mast end that was pretty close to sit into the manifold orifice..,

Sooner or later I'm going to find it !
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Update...today I found a brake line (steel) of about 3/16" diameter..still need something smaller like 1/8". Still browsing around for such thing..any idea where to find a steel pipe of 1/8" diam? I'm afraid to drill the manifold...if that's the only way...I wouldn't have too many chances to do it perfect.

Already went to O'reilly, Advance Auto, Lowes... Tomorrow AutoZone..Home Depot.
Maybe small engine repair shop will help me out...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Ender
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jochy
Update...today I found a brake line (steel) of about 3/16" diameter..still need something smaller like 1/8". Still browsing around for such thing..any idea where to find a steel pipe of 1/8" diam? I'm afraid to drill the manifold...if that's the only way...I wouldn't have too many chances to do it perfect.

Already went to O'reilly, Advance Auto, Lowes... Tomorrow AutoZone..Home Depot.
Maybe small engine repair shop will help me out...
Don't they make that steel brake hardline in 1/8"? You might also find one of those steel fuel filters with a 1/8" steel barb sticking off that you could caw off and use....

Quick Reply: 955 V8 broken Intake Plenum