Sponsored by:

Cayenne Lug nut "locks"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Lug nut "locks"

Anyone have a spare laying around? I "had" the special lug nut socket for the 4 "locking" bolts on my 04 S, however I went the other day to get tires rotated, and alas, it's missing from the back of the truck

After a phone call to the dealer, they stated that you have to buy a whole new "set" of 4 locking nuts and "key". My "special" lug nut looks like a triple square or something similar. Anyone know if anything else will fit this, or where I could get a new "key" instead of ordering from the dealer.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you talking about these?
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/393011-fs-factory-wheel-locks-w-key.html
Old 11-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Ltc. Those are only on the older models (pre-993).

The hell is a triple square? Sports Cars til 05-06ish should have on each wheel a single round lug with several rounded out divits (half circles) on it. Usually 6 in total.

Your Cayenne (as well as current models) should have a lug on each wheel covered in triangle points. To get a new Cayenne Wheel lock Key bring your car to a proper dealer, have them use their master set to see what number it is, and have them order a new Key. Cayenne Wheel lock keys are like $15-30 depending on dealer markup. (It is a Key with an extra lug). You do NOT need a full set if you have actual Cayenne Wheel Locks

If you have something else. Then you will be best breaking that lock off, and putting on a new set of proper Cayenne Wheel Locks.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an extra, but I thought there were several versions
Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

There are 30 of the notched style, and about 20 of the sharp points cayenne/current style. Would kinda defeat the purpose if there were only one. As I said, if you have the proper style. You can get a new version of your key for under $30.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Ltc. Those are only on the older models (pre-993).

The hell is a triple square? Sports Cars til 05-06ish should have on each wheel a single round lug with several rounded out divits (half circles) on it. Usually 6 in total.
Triple Square
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

Was mainly using that for a reference on what the end of the lug bolt looked like.

I called the dealer and they said I'd have to order a new "set" of four lug bolts and key.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Triple Square
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

Was mainly using that for a reference on what the end of the lug bolt looked like.

I called the dealer and they said I'd have to order a new "set" of four lug bolts and key.
You are in Houston. Me too. I feel your pain. Did you try the new dealer on I45? They may not be as bad as the two Sonic owned ones.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Originally Posted by ozcav
You are in Houston. Me too. I feel your pain. Did you try the new dealer on I45? They may not be as bad as the two Sonic owned ones.
Cool...I'll have to make sure to keep you in the loop on any GTG we have. Usually I camp out on the 951 board.

Yep, the dealer on 45 north is MUCH MUCH better than the others...Porsche of North Houston. Their customer service actually exists, and Oscar in the parts department is a great guy to work with for sure.

Besides that, they still said that Porsche doesn't make that particular lug key anymore and the only way is to get a new set of lug bolts...I think $105 I saw em on evil-bay for $72.50 so I'll probably go that route.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I've been contemplating getting rid of the locking nuts all together- I don't know of anyone getting their rims stolen nowadays...seems they just would just take the whole car! Knock on wood, I don't know any of my friends/family who had their car stolen in the past 15+ years, and I have never heard of anyone getting their rims stolen in my whole driving career!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrew911
I've been contemplating getting rid of the locking nuts all together- I don't know of anyone getting their rims stolen nowadays...seems they just would just take the whole car! Knock on wood, I don't know any of my friends/family who had their car stolen in the past 15+ years, and I have never heard of anyone getting their rims stolen in my whole driving career!
You've heard of that guy named MURPHY and his whole law thing? and I bet you don't live in the 'hood either......
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Originally Posted by andrew911
Thou doth tempteth fate...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

OK, I hear you...I'll keep them on

It's just that I think the odds of one of the shops loosing my socket to remove the lock and me then being stranded on the side of the road with a flat are much higher than the wheels being stolen. But I guess while the outcome of the wheels being stolen is lower, the price is potentially much more.... We need an actuary to run a numerical model and tell me what I should do- ha!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

That triple-square is the current locking lug style, actually made by Porsche, and not the Mcgard ones.

Go to a proper dealer, and tell them to type 955-361-957-01-050 into their PET to find them.
The last 3 digits will be 050 through 069. This is the key number.

All they have to do is use their master set, match up to find the right number, and order with one of those numbers to get a new lug with Key.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks a ton Kevin!!
Will do!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Adunlap1
1st Gear

I Just bought a Cayenne Turbo and the tool is gone. 150 Miles to the nearest dealer. How can I get these things off without damaging the wheel? I need new tires now. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Lug nut "locks"