Sponsored by:

DD: Diesel, GTS, or CTT

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DD: Diesel, GTS, or CTT

Greetings all. Cayenne newbie here - thinking of getting one. Will drive each tomorrow but that's different to living with one. Have cars for track & weekends.
Is the TT overkill for a daily / worth the premium on the GTS?
Is the GTS worth the premium on the S? (The extras/packages look good.)
How's the diesel for all-round driving (dirt, traffic, highway) relative to the GTS & CTT?
Any insight from owners would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First and only Porsche I've owned is the new CD. It's owned and operated on a working farm. Street tires aren't the best off road, but the AWD is forgiving. I've pulled a 6000# tractor uphill on wet grass with no difficulty. On road my tractor+trailer pushes the 7700 towing limit, yet - if it wasn't for the rear view mirrors - I wouldn't even know it's there. Regular driving; great performance and handling, excellent fuel economy. I've already seen 34.5 mpg, and I'm a long way from being broken in. With diesels that takes about 35k, but by then I expect this to be a 40 mpg daily driver.

//greg//
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

You must get some looks, showing up at a site with your tractor ... in a Porsche!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Cayenne Turbo (2013; my first one) as my daily commuter car and I love it. For me, it's not overkill and is worth the premium over the other models.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
743CO
Intermediate

Default WoW!!

Quite the question.

The best value is the Diesel. But there is more to driving a Daily Driver than value.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Due to using the Hybrids drive train the CD won't be as good as the others off road, but that should only impact serious off roading and extreme situations. The rest of the time I doubt there would be any difference when comparing the same suspension setup.

Out of those the CD is certainly the slowest, but it is far from slow.

Around town I've be averaging 24-26 in mine without babying. It loves to be on the highway. I had one case where I had the cruise set at 70 and it had creeped up to almost 35 before I had to get off the highway (roughly 35 mile trip at that point).

For a DD when you have other fast cars in the garage to use when you want to play, I think the Diesel is the best option.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

If 0-60 and top speed are important to you get one of the V-8's, otherwise get the diesel.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
You must get some looks, showing up at a site with your tractor ... in a Porsche!
If I lived in the city, I think the response would be "True dat !!"

//greg//
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Thanks all. I appreciate your comments. It will be useful driving them back-to-back. No tractors involved though!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Thanks all. I appreciate your comments. It will be useful driving them back-to-back. No tractors involved though!
Only if you get a Diesel
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove the diesel and liked it well enough to live with, but I know I would like the GTS or Turbo more. I think I would miss the 4 zone air and the full size spare in the diesel, but it feels like a great daily driver on a test drive.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 AM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Hi, I own the 2013 Diesel and it is just at the dealer for some fixes that needed to be done after delivery. Nothing major, but they needed to order parts and because of that I am having a loaner V6 since two weeks. So, I had the ability to compare at least these two. Summary, I miss my Diesel already. The options are actually nearly the same, both Plus package, however also some differences. I do have the Panorama roof, how could one only get the tiny, tiny moonroof? Second, I do have 18s, the loaner 20s and I do have PASM, the loaner does not. In the end, I can get the same sporty feeling as the loaner when moving PASM to sport, but I can also get it very comfortable, the loaner is always some kind of hard, so I would always decide again for what I have. Howeve, I have to admit, the look is better on the 20s. What about the engine. The V6 always feels like a heavy car that really needs to power, where the Diesel would just run like a sportscar. As I am not going over 75 mpg, I cannot talk about highspeed, but the overall feel is that the Diesel is the much more active car. And now coming to mpg. Average on the V6 22 mpg, on the Diesel 34 mpg. The V6 offers the start-stopp, which is missing to the Diesel (at least in US), but I would most likely switch it off, anyhow. You really can feel when the engine shuts off, going on is fine. Even my wife complaint, also she is not a real car fan (however is becoming it more and more since we have the Cayenne).
So, I guess, if I would not have to look for money and would be willing to spend more on a car, the GTS and TT or even TT S might be better (I have not driven them and if you are willing to spend that much money for a car, gasoline prices might also not bother), however if anybody is considering V6 vs. Diesel there should be only one answer, the Diesel.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I have an 08 ctt. The S drove fine, especially around town but after I loaded it up the way that I wanted I was within $10,000 of the turbo. I only have one car so this one has to tow boats, park in a condo or downtown office and act like a sports car. It does it all and very well. With 90K miles on it the only time it has given me a problem was with coolant pipes, otherwise very dependable. I average 15 mpg with a fairly heavy foot so that is the only real negative with the vehicle.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

If the Diesel could be optioned to look like a GTS, I would buy one. Can it?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If the Diesel could be optioned to look like a GTS, I would buy one. Can it?
If you are just trying to disguise a Diesel to look like a GTS in appearance alone, the front grill and optional quad tail pipes will still look different, and the headlights won't have the same exact look, but otherwise doable (and expensive).

My 2 cents: Diesel makes a lot of sense, especially in the USA (no autobahns, no need for decent acceleration above 80mph).

Quick Reply: DD: Diesel, GTS, or CTT