Sponsored by:

2013 Cayenne Diesel 'lectric gremlins

Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Cayenne Diesel 'lectric gremlins

Hey guys,

I'm 2 months and about 1700 km into ownership.

Two things:

3 times ventilated seats would not turn on
- ? related to low ambient temperature (about 0 deg Celsius at the time)
- anyone notice this at all before

A few days ago, PCM - no sound output at all (stereo, regardless of source, bluetooth phone). Tried restarting car. Also - PCM itself was gibbled. It was switched to FM radio and it would not allow me to switch sources (SAT, ipod, CD).
- After parking the car and restarting it 2 hours later it was back to normal

Anybody had any similar experience to these or possible explanations?

It's annoying and a bit disconcerting to say the least, especially on the heels of the whole clock malfunction thing (having the clock replaced under warranty tomorrow when I take it in for snow tire install)

tia
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 AM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had similar PCM experience several times in my '13 GTS. Also the auto stop/start function rarely operates when it is supposed to. Taking it in for service later in the week. I suspect these are software issues rather than electrical but we'll find out.

The clock has worked fine from day 1 though.

Last edited by SeaPors; 10-24-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012

3 times ventilated seats would not turn on
- ? related to low ambient temperature (about 0 deg Celsius at the time)
- anyone notice this at all before
In my 09 Carrera, the cabin temperature has to be 15C or above in order for seat ventilation to turn on according to the manual. While the Cayenne manual does not list a temperature, it does indicate that they wont turn on if the temperature is too low. I would suspect that 0C is below that limit and that this is normal behavior
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

My CD is almost 3 months old and I have 5500 kms on it. None of the issues you are having, but a few of my own. Garage door opener won't program, memory seat position only works half the time and discovering lately that the wipers are loud as hell. Love the drive and feel of this car and no regrets, but that shouldn't excuse Porsche for not getting the little stuff right. This is a very high end luxury vehicle and they need to get these correct (hire a Toyota electrical engineer!). Still in love though!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1300 miles on mine, mostly minor stuff so far. Hasn't gotten cold enough here yet, but - at 0C - I think I'd be using seat heater versus seat cooling.

Had radio on mute yesterday, hit a bump, speakers start blasting. Later than day it once again seemed to turn on by itself. That time I was making a turn, and could possibly have hit the volume on the steering wheel. Not sure. But steering wasn't involved the first time it happened.

Seat and steering always move as designed when I shut off engine/open driver door. And when getting back in, the steering wheel always moves into memorized position. But the seat doesn't always move, or moves partway then stops short. I hit the memory button for seat to finish it's programmed move.

Dash clock stopped at 480 miles. I can wait till scheduled service for a replacement. But what I can't wait for is a solution to the unacceptable open sunroof noise. But that's off-topic, we can talk about that elsewhere.

//greg//
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 Tiptronic V6 with 5500km, not well enough equipped to even have the OP's issues

Issues to date:
- Clock died twice ... waiting for dealer to get back to me on plan of action.
- Some interior ticking noises that come and go, here and there (back seat, roof, dash). Very minor, will not even bring it up for service.
- Stalled in stop and go traffic on the highway once. Engine shut down when I came to a stop (as it is supposed to), came back on when I touched the gas (as it is supposed to), then engine struggled and died at low RPM. Got a green warning on display to put in park, and re-start engine. Worked fine after that ... will report it when I go for the clock, hopefully there is a computer log. Many heated threads on this stalling issue, especially on the other board, including law-suits and government agency involvement! Having driven (and stalled) manuals before, not the end of the world for me if it is a once in the life of the car fluke.

Otherwise perfect!

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 10-24-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Greg, your description of the seat memory issue is exactly how mine is working. I hope there is a quick and easy fix. Also, forgot to mention my clock also crapped out after about 2 months. They are replacing and dealing with other electrical issues when I go in for winter tires in 2 weeks.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

Just got the pig back. Replaced the clock. It's still working so far .

Seat ventilation - apparently operating as intended. The service manager indicated it does not work below a certain car temperature (nor seat heaters above a certain temperature).

PCM - no fault codes and they checked for campaigns and technical bulletins with none found - 'customer to monitor'. Fair enough, it's documented now, at least.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Seat ventilation does not turn on if the cabin temp is below a certain temperature. Same thing with the seat heaters; cabin temp too high they will not turn on either. As for the PCM issue check to see which version of the PCM you have because there might be a firmware update. You did say you had a 2013 model and you should have the latest but check to be sure.

My one and only electronic gremlin happened last night. Driving home and suddenly a chime and a warning on the instrument cluster: "CHECK LEFT REAR BREAK LIGHTS". I was around the corner from my house so I waited until I was in my garage before checking the lights. They were both fine. Took her out later that night and again this morning; nothing. Let's hope this was my only electronic gremlin.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

That's one hell of an avatar & a username
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see not much ever changes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
^^^

That's one hell of an avatar & a username
Thanks; I've been using it for years and it still evokes the same reaction from people like it did on day one
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[
My one and only electronic gremlin happened last night. Driving home and suddenly a chime and a warning on the instrument cluster: "CHECK LEFT REAR BREAK LIGHTS". I was around the corner from my house so I waited until I was in my garage before checking the lights. They were both fine. Took her out later that night and again this morning; nothing. Let's hope this was my only electronic gremlin.[/QUOTE]

I got the same warning first night i had the 13CTT, in July.. Lights were fine. 2000 miles later no warning again. Seat memory works sometimes.
On my second clock after 2 clock repairs failed.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Hagel
AutoX

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Seat and steering always move as designed when I shut off engine/open driver door. And when getting back in, the steering wheel always moves into memorized position. But the seat doesn't always move, or moves partway then stops short. I hit the memory button for seat to finish it's programmed move.
I'm having the same issue, other then that haven't run into any problems... 2 months, 2k miles, and the clock is still ticking
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM
shopkins1994
8th Gear

My clock also died. My lane assist on the right goes crazy. More likely when it is raining out. Comes on when no cars, flashes all of the sudden. Still have to take it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel 'lectric gremlins