Hello and Tire Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Tire Pressure Question

Hello Fellow Board Members,

I just became a proud owner of a 2013 Cayenne S after months of waiting for it to be built and shipped over States side. After 200 miles my smile keeps on getting wider and wider each and every time I drive. My previous cars were mainly from the Mercedes family lineup but have always been admiring the Porsche brand. For a while I was deciding between the Cayenne and the Panamera but after having a baby and the poor quality of roads in Jersey, where I currently reside, made my choice easy. I can see a 2013 Carrera S in my future as well as a third car but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had a quick question about the tire pressure for fellow Cayenne owners. I decided to get 19" wheels and they came wrapped in Pirelli Scorpion Verde rubber. For some reason my dealer had my car set up for full-load with rear tire pressures up to 46psi (the tire has a max rating of 50psi) and 37psi in the front. Is there any advantage in running the car in full-load setup over the partial-load setup ? What is the different between the two. Anyone else running their Cayenne's in full-load with these high tire preassures ?

Thanks and I look forward to not just lurk, like i have done in the past, but to contribute to the board.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the happy world of Cayenne ownership & driving pleasure!

If you are running "full load" pressure in the tires, but not running "full load" in the car for weight, the tires are over pressurized by a bit.
Result - better fuel economy & poor tire wear.

Set your pressures for your actual use and you will get the best results.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!

From memory, I noticed the door sticker only indicated these overly high max load pressure numbers as if they are the only option. The owners manual, and TPMS display indicate lower pressures for "normal load", and lower yet for "comfort mode". Strange as all my other cars indicated normal and max load on the sticker. My care came new set to "full load" as well. And if you bring the car to a garage or dealer, they tend to fill your tires way up according to sticker "as a curtesy" ... and then you need to let air out.

Personally I use "normal load" with my 20" Verde's. If I were to load up the trunk, fill the car with 5 people, and hitch on a trailer, I would definitely use "full load"

When I played with the settings, it said there would be an on screen warning to reduce speed if I passed 100mph in tire pressure "comfort mode" ... screw that!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Good chance your dealer didn't even touch the tire pressure. I've seen quite a few higher end Euro-cars come off the truck with what seems like too much tire pressure. But in this case, "full load" is actually a misnomer, something was probably lost in translation from German to American English. The owner manual explains that "full load" pressure is to be adopted if (a) speeds above 100 mph are normal - and/or (b) regularly carrying above xxx pounds of passengers/cargo. Clearly a Euro-thing. Since I can't afford the speeding tickets - and seldom carry around anything heavier than my wife - I run mine with nitrogen pressurized to 35 front/39 rear

//greg//
Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Hmmm ... they must have fixed the "German translations" in my owners manual, where it defines 4 modes:

a) Comfort tire pressure Part Load
b) Comfort tire pressure Full Load
c) Part load
d) Full load

Cut and paste from manual:

"Comfort tire pressure for summer, snow and all-season tires up to 100 mph (160 km/h)
The comfort tire pressure speed threshold permitted for your vehicle depends on the national type standardisation and is displayed under “Comfort pressure” in the “Tire pressure” menu on the multi-purpose display on the on-board computer. Comfort tire pressure is only available on vehicles with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM)."

"The load condition of the vehicle must be set on the multi-purpose display. The tire pressure must be changed according to the vehicle load. Please see the chapter “SELECTING “CHARGE” IN THE TIRE PRESSURE MENU” on page 121."
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Hmm, now I'm confused. My tpms reads between 52 (cold days) and 58 psi (warm days). My '13 CD came with summer pirellis. Am I running them way to full? Obviously not mechanically inclined. Thx.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

That sounds way too high (dangerously so). Feed your info into the tpms setting (tire type, size, load, confort setting). Then press on fill info to see how much pressure to let out, or check recommended setting in owners manual. Front lower than rear.

Settings are for cold (before driving). Normal for it to go up higher than the recommendation when hot (while driving).

Sidewall max rating also for cold. Ok to exceed while hot (driving), as long as not exceeding when cold.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What would be the comfort/part load tire pressures for a 2006 cayenne s with 19" 275 pirellis?
Tia
Ed
Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Hmm, now I'm confused. My tpms reads between 52 (cold days) and 58 psi (warm days). My '13 CD came with summer pirellis. Am I running them way to full? Obviously not mechanically inclined. Thx.
The tire pressure segment of the MPD is not terribly intuitive, but can be useful when set properly. But the car must be parked to do this.

With the car parked and the MPD powered up, use the right thumbwheel to select Tire Pressures. Push thumbwheel, select ADJUST. Use the thumbwheel to tell the car you have summer tires on 18" wheels (assuming you didn't upgrade to a larger diameter). Then move up to CHARGE and select Part Load. Selecting TIRE will confirm that your input has been accepted. Then select FILL to read recommended front/rear pressures.

At this point, the system is learning - and it helps to start/drive the car a short distance. As you drive, the MPD will eventually display the current pressures in each tire. Park, put electrical system back to ACC. Select Tire Pressures again. This time the actual pressures will be replaced by + and/or - signs. That's how much air you should either add to or delete from the respective tire to achieve the recommended part load pressures for 18" summer tires.

//greg//
Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Glad to see this posted here. I am also a new Cayenne owner and my tires were also pumped up to max load pressures, even a little above.

Anyway I dropped the pressures down to the comfort level for my tires and what a difference it made. After dropping the pressures, my tires and suspension makes less noise just going down the road and going over those little "bumps" in life. The "comfort" setting is MUCH smoother! I suggest all to take a look at what tire pressure you are running.

Also, anyone know if Porsche is running nitrogen from the factory? Do not think it does anything for the ride but it sure does not leak like air.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
mchi55
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward 96 Viper GTS
What would be the comfort/part load tire pressures for a 2006 cayenne s with 19" 275 pirellis?
Tia
Ed
Not sure about 19", but on my 06 Turbo S, with 20", I have the fronts at 39 cold, and rears at 49 cold. That's what the side door sticker says and haven't had any issues.

2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

For 2011+ it is listed as 34/39. You would need to check in your owners manual if different for your particular year.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Since there is allot of confusion and interpretation, here is EXACTLY what the 2011+ owners manual states for pressure - for all models and tire types:

pressure.pdf
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
Also, anyone know if Porsche is running nitrogen from the factory? .
Not that I've heard of. In fact I've not yet run into any dealer of any model car that does nitrogen. It's typically an aftermarket thing, and nitro'd tires are ID'd by green valve stem caps. But the aftermarket nitro job is quite reasonable, at least around here. For my last two cars I paid $28 total, which included 12 months of free adjustments if/when necessary. To me that's important, because I try to follow the recommended tire rotation schedule. After rotation, pressures need adjusting.

//greg//
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Thx for the tips everyone. Will definitely play with tpms tomorrow and maybe call service on Monday. I wonder if the over filled tires explain my disappointing mileage so far. I'm getting nowhere near what is being advertised for the diesel, although I am driving a little aggressively.

Quick Reply: Hello and Tire Pressure Question