Sponsored by:

Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Block heater

I understand a block heater is not available for the cayenne. I have a 2005 Ctt. What are people doing to pre warm their engines in cold weather?
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Found an answer.
http://proheatproducts.com/index.php...&products_id=3
I think this will work just fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I live in FLorida!

Where do you live and how cold does it get?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

I live in the CDN Rockies. It can get to -35 to -40. Not very often. Usual cold snaps are -20 to -25. Not to bad. It is just hard on an engine to be repeatedly cold started. My wife and the 3.0 CS get the garage. I get the pole building with the boat and bobcat. We do get a lot of snow though. My driveway, hence the bobcat.

Last edited by mtnrat; 01-02-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!

My family is in Wisconsin and I go once a year but this is some serious snow you got there.

I have been out in -10 and -15 and never want to see -40!

Stay warm and I am glad you found your block heater! Can not imagine what is going on in the engine when everything is cold soaked to -40 and you crank up the engine! A true test for synthetic oil!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed several of those pan heaters, and they're a great product. I used the Wolverine brand, but these ProHeat look identical. To me, warm oil is more important on a cold start than is warm coolant. Plus, this heater is typically installed on the lowest part of the engine. So when energized overnight, conduction from the rising heat often heats the water jackets anyway.

But here's the fly in the ointment; they must be installed on a perfectly flat surface If you don't have at least a 4x5 flat spot on your oil pan, that 3.5x4.5 patch (a) won't heat at rated efficiency, and (b) risks getting torn off. On some installations, I used multiple smaller patches that total the recommended wattage for the capacity (like two 125s instead of one 250). Also, don't be tempted to over buy. These things are designed to keep the oil at a constant 125F when sized correctly. More wattage than necessary can coke the oil.

//greg//
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Looks like my driveway in winter (without the nice forest behind)! Not uncommon to have to shovel snow up onto mounds taller than myself by the end of Winter.

Looking at those picture, I can't wait to try my new Cayenne in the white!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest moving to california!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Then I would miss all the fun: peeling out, oversteer around every curve, four wheel drifts, anti-lock action at every stop, and ptm on overtime ... all while driving to work without exceeding any speed limits!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I've installed several of those pan heaters, and they're a great product. I used the Wolverine brand, but these ProHeat look identical. To me, warm oil is more important on a cold start than is warm coolant. Plus, this heater is typically installed on the lowest part of the engine. So when energized overnight, conduction from the rising heat often heats the water jackets anyway.

But here's the fly in the ointment; they must be installed on a perfectly flat surface If you don't have at least a 4x5 flat spot on your oil pan, that 3.5x4.5 patch (a) won't heat at rated efficiency, and (b) risks getting torn off. On some installations, I used multiple smaller patches that total the recommended wattage for the capacity (like two 125s instead of one 250). Also, don't be tempted to over buy. These things are designed to keep the oil at a constant 125F when sized correctly. More wattage than necessary can coke the oil.

//greg//
Thanks for the heads up. I can put it on a timer to turn on 3 hrs before needed.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

I received the proheat and installed it today. There is no place on the oil pan that is perfectly flat for the 3.5"x4.5" pad. I stuck it on pretty well though. and with the protective plastic pan under the engine and transmission protecting it, it won't get ripped off. I plugged it in and it gets pretty hot so I think it will warm the oil just fine. We will see. The toughest part was routing the cord. Crap these things seem to be hermetically sealed. I am not totally satisfied with the route but I didn't want to take the whole car apart.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
grohgreg
Pro

I was quite clear about sizing to a perfectly flat surface, and for good reason. You just rendered your vehicle vulnerable to engine fire - if it doesn't fall off first. Plus, incorrect sizing and/or installation absolves ProHeat from any liability. It's all on your dime. Obviously it can't be exchanged for two smaller ones, so I'd peel it ASAP - and write the loss off to OHS. It's not mandatory by the way, to install these on the bottom surface of the oil pan. As long as the heating surface remains below the oil level, side-mounting these heaters is an acceptable alternative.

Yours is a very good example of why they sell the 2x125w model 156-2CSA. Assuming you can find room for two smaller heaters, that is. If yes, get that one - and pay close attention to the installation instructions. It's imperative up front to install on oil-free bare metal, and at the end - to hermetically seal the pad edges with the heat & oil resistant sealant provided.

//greg//
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Gotcha. I will just chalk it up to experience. There are ribs and dents and curves all over this oil pan. I will see what the largest flat spot is and see what might fit. They have a lot of sizes and shapes. I ordered the first one before even looking at the pan. Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Resurrection

I`m thinking of doing this before winter

Anyone know what is the best size/combination of pads and where to place?

I`m guessing the 955 & 957 are identical in this respect.......?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:34 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

I had one on my 05. There is only a very small spot and it is not perfectly flat making it hard to get absolutely perfect contact. Any air pocket or gap has a good chance of starting a fire. I will look at the size as I bought one for a friend who never used it and has consequently sold his cayenne.

Quick Reply: Block heater