Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer installed hitch receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My OE hitch has a "Westfalia made in Germany" sticker that rates it for 7700lbs towing, and 616lbs tongue weight (3500kg/280kg). The American hitch is just a square receiver that is always visible.

The European folding hitch is 5950lbs/308lbs (2700kg/140kg). Would not meet American class III 5000lbs/500lbs, which is for "real trailers" ... in fact would not even meet class II 3500lbs/350lbs.

In America, hitch is factory built. Unless you "forget" to order, and dealer charges almost triple to install!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this one DIY a few years back, OEM. The hardware was relatively easy to mount (crazy sturdy, vs. the non-OEMs), and the bumper on/off was no big deal. You get to cut a chunk out of your bumper valance with a blade.

The hardest part was connecting the wiring harness - and to be more precise, pulling interior panels off to get to the rear passenger wheel well to tie into whatever is above the CD changer.

Whoever said if it's just for holding bikes, don't go OEM was probably right. For the extra $1000 you could get a nicer bike and fold your seats down a lot.

But if you're doing real towing, the 7,700 lb tow capacity is pretty impressive with the OEM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
I did this one DIY a few years back, OEM. The hardware was relatively easy to mount (crazy sturdy, vs. the non-OEMs), and the bumper on/off was no big deal. You get to cut a chunk out of your bumper valance with a blade.

The hardest part was connecting the wiring harness - and to be more precise, pulling interior panels off to get to the rear passenger wheel well to tie into whatever is above the CD changer.

Whoever said if it's just for holding bikes, don't go OEM was probably right. For the extra $1000 you could get a nicer bike and fold your seats down a lot.

But if you're doing real towing, the 7,700 lb tow capacity is pretty impressive with the OEM.
Agree with the heavy duty parts. The OEM comes with the 2" ball mounted one very heavy ball mount made of a solid piece of steel that must weigh 30 lbs! I doubt I would ever tow anything more than my jet ski but still glad I went OEM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
brquebral
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an OEM hitch installed on the 06 TTS I picked up a month ago for $1700. I tow 5-6,000 lbs regularly for my medical mission work. It looks pretty sturdy and I'm pretty confident that it will not fail me prematurely. I think it is worth the money (for me, at least).

Quick Reply: Dealer installed hitch receiver?