Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critical Buyers Decision…How good is the Cayenne's AC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
ikegram
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critical Buyers Decision…How good is the Cayenne's AC?

Would really appreciate your collective feedback in attempting to avoid a case of buyers remorse. After some help from fellow board members as to what is contained with the 4-Zone system in the Cayenne, I'm now suspecting that the reason Porsche is offering this option is kind of an acknowledgement that the AC system in the Cayenne is 'weak' for the size vehicle.

I thought the 4-Zone option might be an aid for those who were ordering the Pano roof but research I've done on this board and others seems to indicate that without it, the default system 'struggles' to cool down a Cayenne that may have been sitting in the sun vs. maintaining an already cool vehicle. Now I realize what is cool may be a subjective thing, but feedback from folks in places like Florida state that in some cases they wish they'd ordered the 4-Zone option. I plan to purchase a Diesel and this option will not be available to me. I've live in the Southeast were things can get quite hot in summer. So I'd appreciate folks feedback on the Model 958's ac system…thx.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Not sure of the model #s, but I have an 09 w/ 2 zone and it cools just fine. And this is after baking in the sun in Utah in August while we were hiking a canyon. Driving in 100 degree temps across Nevada/ Utah, same thing, very comfy inside.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not had any issues with my '06 but I've never been anywhere but the driver's seat.

Suspect 4 zone is just recognition that you can't please all the passengers all the time (without it).
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

95-100 degree weather here in Cali and the NOT RECENTLY RECHARGED ac in my 2 zone '04 cayenne is blowing cold and comfy.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Our dogs have never complained about the temperatures in the back, even in high heat summer days.
2012 2 zone.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have stated, the a/c in the front in not an issue. The system is plenty strong enough to cool down the entire vehicle. It's just that passengers in the back don't get any appreciable air blowing on them.

So as a taxi or a limo, it would be a bad purchase, but otherwise it's not a real issue (we just like to bitch about it).
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM
mchi55
Advanced

I agree with everyone above. I have a 06 Turbo S, and am in Texas. Wen you first get in, I may need to crank the A/C to full blast but then a few minutes later it's all good. I carry my two little boys in the back alot of the time and they never complain of being hot.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Touareg TDI dual zone was a little anemic, so I had hoped for 4-zone in the CD. I too am concerned about the occasional rear passenger that happens to coincide with the occasional 100 degree day. But I am encouraged by the comment in another forum that said taking the Cayenne A/C off auto and selecting air from the dash vents only will result in more air being pushed rearward through the console vents.

I can't speak for those who live in a frying pan environment. But where I live, lack of 4-zone is an easy trade-off for the performance+economy of the diesel.

//greg//
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered 4 zone as my 9yo daughter always complains of stuffy in the x5. It's even a cheapish option four a change!
We do get +40c/120fdays here in Melbourne, so good a/c is paramount.
But I do remember when we just opened the window, man we have got soft and accustomed to the good life....
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

My wife complains about our Lexus RX 2 zone due to the limited air in the back when she sits there. She is at the age of hot flashes. I'm always redirecting the center front vents to her. The front AC is similar between the RX and the Cayenne we just bought. The 4-zone is much better for the rear passengers in my wifes opinion due to the additional vents in the side pillars. She is happy with the decision of adding it to the build based on its performance after delivery.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ikegram
Would really appreciate your collective feedback in attempting to avoid a case of buyers remorse. After some help from fellow board members as to what is contained with the 4-Zone system in the Cayenne, I'm now suspecting that the reason Porsche is offering this option is kind of an acknowledgement that the AC system in the Cayenne is 'weak' for the size vehicle.
Eh, Porsche also put rear A/C in cars like the 928 as an option. A good working front only 928 will freeze you out!

I do feel a bit of heat off the windshield in the Cayenne. I would suggest some GOOD heat reduction tint. (Read, not "dark" tint, but tint designed to reduce heat) You can get some tuff theme days that is almost clear but reduced a ton of sun heat. I will save your interior in the long run and pay for itself.

The problem with the 4 zone it that the air intake is in the rear luggage area. So if you have pets or dirt back there it sucks that into the system.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by Cole
I do feel a bit of heat off the windshield in the Cayenne. I would suggest some GOOD heat reduction tint. (Read, not "dark" tint, but tint designed to reduce heat)
I'm glad you brought that up, as I was unaware of the thermal/noise glass option when I ordered my diesel. It's ~$1100, which is - coincidentally - pretty close to the price of 4-zone.

//greg//
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
ikegram
Track Day

Interesting insight regarding the Porsche Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass option. However one of the downsides I've heard about this option is that it may impact the reception for things such as cell phones, radar detectors and others. If that's the case and the primary benefit sought is thermal isolation would one be better off adding a 3rd party thermal reducing film?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM
grohgreg
Pro

First, if you heard this in Porsche forums, it might be a good idea to go back and check the dates. High end Euro cars used to use outside antennas to get around this. But thermal glass technology evolved right alongside the recent proliferation of "hands-free"technology. If there are any current downsides, it's because owners bought the wrong kind of aftermarket film. Following the lead of the carmakers, thermal film makers also changed the formula of their automotive products. But there's still plenty of the old stuff out there, as well as plenty of non-automotive thermal film. It's just a matter of selecting an aftermarket thermal film appropriate to the application.

//greg//
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ikegram
Interesting insight regarding the Porsche Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass option. However one of the downsides I've heard about this option is that it may impact the reception for things such as cell phones, radar detectors and others. If that's the case and the primary benefit sought is thermal isolation would one be better off adding a 3rd party thermal reducing film?
I have the option on my 2013. It doesn't impact cell phone reception and my electronic toll tag works just fine as long as I keep it at the top center of the windshield. Can't comment on radar detectors however.

Quick Reply: Critical Buyers Decision…How good is the Cayenne's AC?