New arrival: 2006 Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
chrissanders
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New arrival: 2006 Cayenne Turbo S

Hey Guys,

For almost 3 years I have owned a 2004 Cayenne S as my daily driver. It has been terrific, but since I am going through yet another mid-life crisis, I have decided to sell the S and buy a certified 2006 Cayenne Turbo S with only 28K miles. The Turbo S should be delivered next week. It will be my new daily driver and will tow my 944S to track weekends maybe 6 times a year.

Are there any issues on the Turbo S I should be aware of?

I have read about some problems with PASM and know Tubos are known to consume oil much quicker than non-aspirated models.

Thanks!

Gulf-Porsche 21
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 PM
mchi55
Advanced

Congrats on your new purchase. You will love it. I have had my 06 Cayenne Turbo S for about 6 months now, and I simply love it. (got it with about 37,000 miles on it and have added about 3,000 miles since).

But here are some issues I have ran into with it

- TPSM is acting up. It would say I have a flat tire or need more air, when the tires pressures are perfect. I have read others having similar problems, so it may be I need to replace the sensors soon ( so I guess not really a problem with the Turbo S...)

- you have heard correctly. The Turbo S consumes crazy amount of oil. I think my low oil warning light comes on every 1000 or so miles, and when I check, the oil level is low. It usually takes a quart, Mobil One Synthetic 0W-40 oil. Not a big deal, just more a hassle.

- I have not have any problems with PASM. It works great, you can tell the difference between comfort, normal, and sport settings.

- just like you I have heard of some stories on reliability, so I purchased an extended warranty through the dealer.

Otherwise, the Turbo S hs been very reliable and great to drive. Even the oil consumption is, in my opinion, a fair trade for all the performance. You will love it. Keep us posted on when you get it.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 939 Posts

You should be familiar with the common stuff - it's not really much different than your 2004 CS.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

MCHI55, consider using a heavier oil than the 0w40. Hopefully EW will pipe in with what her dealership recommended.

I run 5w40 in mine but it's just an S, no turbo.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
mchi55
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993BillW
MCHI55, consider using a heavier oil than the 0w40. Hopefully EW will pipe in with what her dealership recommended.

I run 5w40 in mine but it's just an S, no turbo.
Hi 993Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was told by my Porsche dealer in Wichita, KS to use 0W-40, and if I can't find that, that 5W-40 is ok too.

Doesn't the 5W40 bottle say for turbo-diesel trucks on it?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrissanders
Are there any issues on the Turbo S I should be aware of?
I'd just note that the brakes on the Turbo S are different from the Turbo. Pads and rotors are harder to find and a few dollars more. Not unobtainable by any means - they're right on the Suncoast parts site.

My Turbo S is pretty typical of the others: 30k miles, coils done, plugs done, coolant pipes done, hatch struts done. I think those are all the big issues. Everything else is smooth. It'll probably need pads and rotors in the next year, and I'll likely replace with OEM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mchi55
Hi 993Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was told by my Porsche dealer in Wichita, KS to use 0W-40, and if I can't find that, that 5W-40 is ok too.

Doesn't the 5W40 bottle say for turbo-diesel trucks on it?
I don't know about the Mobil 1 5w40, I run Motul 8100 X-cess in 5w40 and have also run Total/Elf in 5w40.

Yes, in KS I wouldn't go any higher than 5w40 myself but if you've got high oil consumption the first thing I would do is get rid of the 0w40 stuff.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic nor am I a chemical engineer, I've just done most of the work on all my cars for a shade under 40 yrs. Other than that, not an expert on anything.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 939 Posts

I run 05W-40 in my CS also with no issues. I live in a colder climate, and it works well for me.

I'm currently running Schaeffer Supreme 9000.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I don't know about the Mobil 1 5w40, I run Motul 8100 X-cess in 5w40 and have also run Total/Elf in 5w40.

Yes, in KS I wouldn't go any higher than 5w40 myself but if you've got high oil consumption the first thing I would do is get rid of the 0w40 stuff.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic nor am I a chemical engineer, I've just done most of the work on all my cars for a shade under 40 yrs. Other than that, not an expert on anything.

I run Motul myself on a 06 Turbo S - no issues. however, oil consumption is the same as with 0W-40 mobil and 5w-50 mobil...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Augustus
2nd Gear

When will it be delivered? Been considering an 06 Turbo S myself...

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM
chrissanders
5th Gear

Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback -- it is very helpful. I am still eagerly anticipating delivery of the Cayenne Turbo S. It is inside an enclosed trailer on it's way from AZ to NC. I have been stocking up on Mobil 1 0w40. Thinking maybe it will arrive on Tuesday. It comes with the 2 year Porsche CPO warranty. Any thoughts on whether Porsche will replace the plastic coolant pipes at no charge?

Thanks!

Gulf-Porsche 21
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by chrissanders
Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback -- it is very helpful. I am still eagerly anticipating delivery of the Cayenne Turbo S. It is inside an enclosed trailer on it's way from AZ to NC. I have been stocking up on Mobil 1 0w40. Thinking maybe it will arrive on Tuesday. It comes with the 2 year Porsche CPO warranty. Any thoughts on whether Porsche will replace the plastic coolant pipes at no charge?

Thanks!

Gulf-Porsche 21
Only if they break. This is something that should have been negotiated with the selling dealer, your local dealer won't have any skin in the game to volunteer that (unless you have a VERY good relationship with your local dealer),
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
chrissanders
5th Gear

Hi Bill,

I agree with you it would have been preferable to get the dealer to replace the coolant pipes. However, once I negotiated what I believe was a very fair price for the CTS, they would not even agree to colored Porsche wheel caps. Guess I am covered for 2 years if they break and if the plastic pipes last for 2 more years I will replace them then.

Regards,

Gulf-Porsche 21
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Deleted post.

Congrats and best of luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I love my Turbo S except my only gripe is a small annoying squeak in the front of the Panoramic sunroof that I will eventually find. I have done the IPD intake pipe, Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypasses, & Eurocharged Software flash which have all made it even more enjoyable, but all together not a huge difference over stock. Can't really say the IPD intake pipe made much of a difference but got it cheap from a friend and my stock piece did show a slight crack starting when I pulled it off, Secondary Cat bypasses made an improvement in sound, and theoretically should let the Turbos spool slightly faster, Eurocharged software doesn't really make a noticeable improvement in power (but I wouldn't expect too much as the Turbo S is basically a regular Turbo running already increased Boost so probably can't safely Raise the Boost much) but the Eurocharged did improve the throttle response which is a common Turbo owners gripe, it now reacts more like "with PSM off" response, a much shorter hesitation. I also use Redline 5w/40 motor oil which has one of the best HTHS (high temp high shear) ratings around and seems to consume less than it did with the Mobil 1 0W-40.

Quick Reply: New arrival: 2006 Cayenne Turbo S