Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayenne GTS is much sportier and less truck like than the RR. I've had a RR in the past and have enjoyed them but you have to be ready for more of a "truck" experience. One thing to keep in mind is the resale of a RR. You will get killed financially buying a new one off the floor. Granted no one buys a new car as an investment, but still.....These things depreciate 30% in the first year, and the next few years are not much better on a percentage basis. Still a nice looking truck, and maybe I'll pick one up in 3 years with 15k miles on it for 35-40% of msrp.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the life of me I wonder why anyone buys a new luxury car. They ALL take a huge dump in the first two-three years. It doesn't make me feel special to drive a new car but rather a sucker. Even my 8 year old cayenne was in pristine condition and 80% off sticker. So much value even with a few repairs. I am very glad that ppl do keep buying new lux cars so I can buy their pampered used ones though.. So don't change a thing all you new car buying people!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no, those Brits figured they did not humiliate the Cayenne enegh in that last video, so they just did a part II:

* Warning, Porsche viewer discretion is advised.

Of course we all know it is because the Cayenne Turbo comes with wide UHP instead of all season tires
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

arguably the 955/957's generation is better suited for this duty
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tyres ain't tires.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been vindicated!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Oh no, those Brits figured they did not humiliate the Cayenne enegh in that last video, so they just did a part II:

* Warning, Porsche viewer discretion is advised.

Range Rover v Porsche Cayenne drag racing off road - autocar.co.uk - YouTube

Of course we all know it is because the Cayenne Turbo comes with wide UHP instead of all season tires
That brief comparison drive was perfectly fair to both vehicles right up until Sutcliffe started waving the Union Jack and singing Rule Britannia, then threw his observations out the window and declared a resounding victory to the Rangie. He had previously (I think rightly) observed the Cayenne is the better vehicle on-road and far more satisfying to someone wanting an M5, but needing an SUV for whatever reason. He observed the Rangie is more luxurious and "posh" and arguably an all-round more dignified and sophisticated machine for the status conscious types. Both cars went smartly up that grassy knoll without fuss and he acknowledged Porsche had done a good job.

For the drag race, the Cayenne got more mud and the Range Rover -- literally and figuratively -- took the low road, building momentum, then steering uphill on the untracked grass.

Anybody could drive up that grass in a 2WD family sedan with all-terrain tires (or tyres) and probably tow a small boat there, too.

The "review" was just a bit of fun and I don't see too many Brits going for the Cayenne.

Overall, I find the two cars to be expensive SUVs and have little else in common.

The Cayenne is smaller and feels cheap (sorry!) and the Range Rover feels like they need a year to get all the build quality and cabin design shortcomings sorted (creaky plastic bits, absurdly small storage compartments.) The Rangie has the air of grace and the smell of precipitous depreciation. The Cayenne has "elephant in the room" question of "is this one $50K and two years old or $150K and obsolescent because it doesn't resemble the rest of the Porsches and the next Panamera?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Mugatu
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad the Maserati Kubang isn't to market yet, I need something different and the RR is sort of unimpressive to me.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not quite the same thing, but I traded my CS in on an 10 RRS two months ago...there were three Cayennes traded in on the same day for RRS or LR4. So clearly these vehicles compete for the same customers. Prob much less so for big Rangie.

I wanted a CPO vehicle and did shop 11+ Cayennes. Just could not fall in love with the new design. It's just not me. Maybe you love it. But you could save boatloads and just buy a Lexus.

Love the Range...performance, looks, comfort are amazing. The new Rover you are looking at is absolutely beautiful IMO...hope thats next for me.

I look at reliability like this, is it possible to be worse than a 955? Nope.

Helpful? Good Luck, you'll probably love either one.

Quick Reply: 2013 Range Rover instead of Cayenne?