Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn by turn: PCM vs. IOS 6/iPhone

Has anyone done a comparison?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ios6 got me to the airport last week really well... with lots of highway lane changes and details.. was spot on. IDK why everyone is crying like babies over the new maps. In my town it shows way more walking paths than googles did. Apple can do no right these days for the haters.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done a comparison, but it's kind of easier to follow the PCM than the iPhone while driving or what am I missing?

I used to resort to TomTom on my iPhone when I had the previous (955) P!G, but only because the PCM was far inferior to this one.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

the iphone talks to you! I just had it in the drink holder and followed that SEXXY cyber voice.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

And PCM is silent?

And if it's the same voice that SIRI uses, well, then I'm not a fan and have that disabled
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yup same lame Siri voice. Idk the PCM in my 2004 is wonky looking I never give it a chance.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Ah, then I feel ya.

PCM in the 958 is a huge improvement. "Sexy" cyber voice and all.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 987 Posts

I use Tom Tom on my iPhone 4S when I travel and I'm in a rental car. It works fine. It actually has some nice features like re-routing for traffic and it notifies you of stop light cameras.

Last edited by Dennis C; 09-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traffic is one of the things that I like about the IOS. I hope it's better than the traffic on Sirus which I found to be intrusive with way too many warnings.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 AM
koruki
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Cayenne with turn by turn. Here is my experience with the iOS 6 turn by turn so far.

Lots of similar features, heck even the voices sound similar.

The PCM's advantage is in the displaying of the maps and routes on the main screen as well as the dashboards side LCD. The pre-displayed off ramps, closing distance bars are very handy. I don't have a holder for the iPhone so I just leave it in the cup holders, hence no visual guide.

The iOS6's advantage is in the touch interface and live data, traffic etc. You can touch the destination and start navigation, type in the address casually and it will auto complete it. The PCM's address input was always clumsy, you had to clear up city and suburbs, type the address as the directory saves it, type it in order.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I've been comparing the Androil/Google-GPS side by side with the PCM. I'm impressed with the Google product (and it's FREE.)

The Google GPS will do things like "Get on the Garden State Parkway and drive 30 miles north" - it then also comments on any intersections which might be tempting to wrongly take as you get to them. The PCM will only tell you each section of a route, even though the route is all on one road..

It is capable of showing Google road-pictures of intersections with the route marked on it with a nice blue line. These were amazingly good - they looked just like what I was seeing through the windshield.

I was able to find destinations by just telling it the destination (last night 'Upper Crust Pizza, Rt 206, New Jersey" - got me exactly where the place was and a picture OF the place.. without ever telling it the town it was located in. Impressive.)

The Google GPS also anticipated turns better then the PCM, it actually announced them a slight distance before the turn, not exactly AT the turn like the PCM likes to do.. and it never told me to "prepare" for anything. Also - it's vocal description of highways/street names was much better then the PCM does.

I can easily see the future of GPS moving to Android tablets in cars.. and combine the phone/entertainment all in one device.

Technology marches on..

Quick Reply: Turn by turn: PCM vs. IOS 6/iPhone