Sponsored by:

Cayenne Diesel S

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel S

Live in Germany, and the 382 horsepower, 627 ft-lb torque (!!!) V8 Diesel S is now available for pre-order at a nearly 16,000 euro premium (base price 77.6k euro) to the 245 hp (base price 61.9k euro), 405 ft-lb torque V6 Diesel.
Have traded in my 996TT and placed the order for a regular diesel and asked for delivery to be delayed until April. As there is lots of time to change to an S and to change configurations, would really appreciate comments on the choice and on the optional specs, especially PTV+ and whether all season tires are completely out of the question on the S.
By the way, I don't care about mileage much, but the V8 Diesel claims combined driving 8.3l per 100k...that's 28mpg (and even 23.5 city). all that power and decent mileage. amazing!

Last edited by Joseph O'Reilly; 09-22-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: torque figure was too low
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to comment on your questions about PTV and all season tires: I have both on my Cayenne S (gas). PTV is very worthwhile. It helps give a noticeable sharpness to turn-in and especially in combination with PDCC the handling is amazing for a vehicle this size. In the same vein, I've yet to feel limited by the all season tires in the dry (i have the RS Spyder 20" with 275's) and they give the flexibility to use the car with confidence in bad conditions. If the diesel had been available in 2011 when I bought my Cayenne I'd definitely have considered it.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Thanks Mike, that is extremely useful feedback. PTV is only available on the Diesel S- another check in its box. The regular Diesel is very strong (similar to the gas S) most of the way up to 70mph, and then suddenly waves the white flag. Great everywhere except on the autobahn. I suspect straight-line acceleration on the Diesel S versus the gas S will be like better to 30-40mph, similar till the 70s, and then gradually trail away beyond. Handling may be compromised further vs gas models because the diesel motor is quite a heavy lump. Guessing the PTV and PDCC will be important in the V8 diesel.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $0.02

As there is lots of time to change to an S and to change configurations, would really appreciate comments on the choice
I really like the proposition of the Diesel S:
- As fast off the line as the GTS, but cheaper.
- As fuel efficient as the hybrid, but cheaper.
- Seems to comes with the more dynamic - multi-pate clutch diff 4WD - with off-road modes, instead of the 60/40 fix split on the lower diesel. And availability of PTV.

Seems to be the sweat spot in the line up if you have the E16,000. Although the point of handling with an extra 150kg in the nose raises a good point.

More details and debate of the drive train point sprinkled through this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...options-2.html

whether all season tires are completely out of the question on the S.
Winter:

If you want to get all season tires to avoid winter tires, typically my opinion is don't do it. I live in a "severe winter" region, where mandatory snowflake/mountain approve winter tires are the law and M+S are considered unacceptable. I believe forcing people to use winters here is a good thing here. Then again, if you live in a milder area of Germany where winter in mostly rain, perhaps you can get away with it.

Some people have the false belief that the 4WD will negate the need for winters. When hitting the breaks on snow and ice, your car has no memory of the 4WD that got it to that point except for the momentum it now has (not good on a overweight vehicle). And as for the advance traction management systems, they do not create traction, it only controls what traction your tires have in the first place.

See here for Winter vs All season testing on a Cayenne (40ft breaking difference at 30mph, yikes!)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=109

Summer:

Typically you would get N-spec: Micheline Latitude Sport if you order summer, and Pirelli Scorpion Verde if you order All Seasons.

Personally I chose to get all seasons for summer because:

1) Speed limits where I live are 100km/h, I don't have to worry much about handling at 250km/h.
2) They last three times as long, tread wear on the summer is 220, while all season is 600.
3) They offer some minor off-roadability. I.e. see what Pirelli has to say about the off-roadability between the Scorpion Verde in summer vs all season (hint ... lots of 0's for the summer):
Summer:
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/su...erde.tab?tab=2
All Season:
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/su...ason.tab?tab=2

Here is some good instrumented test results from the Pirelli Scorpion Verde on a 2012 Cayenne. Basically a well rounded performer with ~7.5/10 across the board:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160

While they did not test the Micheline Lattitude sport, UHP tires typically get an 8 in the handling, and 6's in many other areas.

I have spent time driving in Germany, and saw a couple of "doubt any survivors". So above points may not be as important to you as all out glued to the road at 250km/h on the autobahn "10% edge" that a summer tire will give you! Summer tires also typically do a bit better in the rain. Sumer tires = dead meat on snow and ice.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to clarify, my experience with All Season tires on my Cayenne S has been in California, in an area where there are no severe winters. If I lived year round in the mountains or where heavy snow was the norm I'd do as Steve suggests in his post and get a set of full Winter tires for that time of the year. But for most other conditions the All Seasons have worked well and I chose them basically for the same reasons he listed; after all, I'm not tracking the Cayenne or dealing with Autobahn speeds. BTW, the AS tires on my car are the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes and I've been very happy with them.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In middle TN quality All Season tires are a very viable option. I would not recommend them for more snowy climates but for me they're great. I even have them on the 993 as I drive it in the winter too.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

awesome feedback all, especially steve, thank you. good point about the diesel S hitting the sweet spot. one further point in favor of diesels generally- diesels hold their value tremendously well, so they are particularly attractive for a new car buyer. the extra weight in the nose is a real issue with all big diesels. but, miramara, 627 lb-ft torque is nuts!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

based on the posts here and the replies to 997c4, thinking of the following build.

Diesel S with PTV+ and air suspension
A1 black
MD platinum grey interior
7X8 rear camera
PA1 auto dimming mirror
0M1 100L tank
1N3 servo steering
C1Q 18 in Cayenne S III wheel
1NP those nifty color wheel caps
3B9 isofix for shotgun seat
4A3 front heated seats
9JB smoker pack
7TI PCM
9W5 cell phone bluetooth
QR1 compass
UF1 audio dock
S9Y Leipzig pickup

exterior and interior color choices for the cayenne in germany are weak. so much nicer for the boxter, panamera and 911...hence black ext and grey inside.

base is 77.7k here. optioned like this, 91k. could easily get to 100 with some other goodies, but trying not to.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
997CS4
Instructor

The Carmine red of the GTS will be available soon...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts
Default this just in...

At the Paris Motor show... Nice

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Bakes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on PTV.

Wasn't sure if I should get it on my V6 6-Speed, but I'm sure glad I did.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
In middle TN quality All Season tires are a very viable option. .
X2 in Western KY. Unfortunately we don't get to specify WHICH all-weather tire gets installed in Leipzig. Mine arrived with N-0 Continentals, which I insisted be changed out for the N-1 Michelins before I even picked up the car. Had Conti AWs on my E-class, and didn't like them at all. I consider the extra $500 for Michelins as money well spent.

//greg//
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
X2 in Western KY. Unfortunately we don't get to specify WHICH all-weather tire gets installed in Leipzig. Mine arrived with N-0 Continentals, which I insisted be changed out for the N-1 Michelins before I even picked up the car. Had Conti AWs on my E-class, and didn't like them at all. I consider the extra $500 for Michelins as money well spent.

//greg//
I think Conti makes 3 or 4 AS SUV tires, which ones did they come with? Even Tire Rack's site likes the DWS' but is not too fond of the others.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:39 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Tire Rack just lists whether tires are Porsche-approved (N-rated). They don't bother breaking it down by model and rim size. According to Porsche, there aren't any N-rated Contis approved for 18" wheels on the 2011+ Cayenne. Their official list only reflects the Goodyear LS2 and the Michelin Latitude Tour HP GreenX (a LRR tire). I had the LS2 on my Touareg and thought they were noisy. Don't have a clue why Leipzig put apparently non-approved tires on mine. But I didn't even waste my breath with the dealer trying to explain this. I simply told them to swap the Conti's out for the N-1 Michelin, and I'd pay the $500 retail difference.

//greg//
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Hey Jerry - S9Y Leipzig pickup
Great choice!!
Lucky to get the CD S, and take it on the autobahn!!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel S