Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Cayenne Diesel - what options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, a few thoughts before a more fullsome and detailed review. and BTW, Downtown Porsche told me I am their first diesel delivery and perhaps the first in the Country, but the line up is growing. First of all, torque and pick up are excellent. That was a big factor in my decision, as I'm coming off a 420 hp car. I ordered this in December, so there was nothing to test drive except Downtown Porsche's std V-6. That was fine, but I ordered the Diesel on a bit of a leap of faith. I'm so happy I did though. On the the cost savings, you need to consider a few things (or at least, these were my considerations) besides fuel savings. The current difference between diesel fuel and premium unleaded in Toronto area) is currently around 30 cents per litre or around $1.20 a gallon. I will drive around 25k kms per year so it starts to add up quickly. BUT, my decision was not based on fuel savings alone. I was also interested in the much extended range of these vehicles to avoid inconvenient fill ups. Most importantly though was performance. To me, the diesel is just materially more fun with the torque being a significant factor. So the way I see it, once you subtract the fuel savings from the cost difference, its a pretty small increment to pay for superior power and performance. YMMV, but that was my thinking and so far so good. So in my mind the simple fuel savings cost comparison is not even close to the whole story, as you are getting a better performing vehicle with more power in the diesel. And that's not even mentioning that the life expectancy and reliability of a diesel engine far exceeds that of a gasoline engine. Further evidence of this is in Porsche's residuals for the diesel, which I believe are higher than for the V-6.

A couple of other points. The sound is OK, but you don't buy a diesel for a throaty growl (get the "S" or more for that). I would say the sound is not a big plus on the diesel, but I'm saving that for my 911 in a few years. And yes the offroad mode toggle switch to lock diffs do come std with this vehicle. Salesman demonstrated them yesterday so I know they are there, although I am unlikely to use them. On the PASM not PASM question, I think I changed my mind about 43 times between december and the build. I finally decided in favour, but my salesman talked me out of it, and now I'm glad he did. The car without PASM handles beautifully with minimal role and very solid feel. Again, I think this option (along with air) is all about your personal needs and driving style. I am convinced that I would have had to try very hard to notice the difference if I had included PASM. Its all very personal though and I don't believe there are any "must have" options that apply to everyone. My former car (Supercharged Jag XF) was loaded with every available option, the vast majority of which I never used. That guided me when choosing options on the Diesel.

Anyway, longer than I had intended for now. Can't wait for the commute home!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Enjoy your new toy!!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

All good points Cowboy. Thanks.

My wifes current Infiniti M37S which she would be coming from to the Cayenne has virtually every option and I think 75-85% of it has rarely if ever been used. That was some of my reasoning for the TexasRider "option reduction package" . I saw a base gasoline Cayenne of $48,000 roll from the dealer for $90,000 without tax title and extened warranty , so a smooth $100K large all in . While I am glad that buyer got what he wanted, I dont need that much for Ms. Tex.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the details Cowboy. Your last point also resonates, I am coming from an X5 with every available option on it, to a more "base" Cayenne. To me the enjoyment that comes from the chassis, engine, and suspension far exceeds how one feels after a while from all the bolt-on gimmickry.

As for the off-road control on your Diesel, this contradicts that info I was going on, and could have been an extra point in swaying my diesel decision! Perhaps Canadians do get the better system because of our snow (like somebody else suggested), and the web site does not reflect that!

From Porsche website there are two drivelines available for the Cayenne:

Diesel and Hybrid:
Porsche Traction Management (PTM): permanent all-wheel drive with self-locking center differential, aut. limited-slip differential (ABD) and traction-slip control (ASR), variable rear torque split

All others:
Porsche Traction Management (PTM): active all-wheel drive with electronic controlled, map-controlled multi-plate clutch, automatic limited-slip differential (ABD) and traction-slip control (ASR)

And from a detailed article explaining the difference:

Depending on the specific version of the Cayenne, the driver is able to adjust the car's offroad abilities in various stages. The focus in developing PTM was on optimising driving dynamics on the road while retaining the outstanding offroad qualities of the Porsche Cayenne. The result is two different PTM systems geared to the specific characteristics of the new models: In the Cayenne Diesel and the Cayenne S Hybrid, PTM comes with permanent all-wheel drive complete with a self-locking centre differential. In the Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo, on the other hand, PTM features active all-wheel drive with an electronically controlled, map-guided multiple-plate clutch.

This active all-wheel-drive system is featured on the particularly sporting and dynamic versions of the Porsche Cayenne because, with its wide range of power and torque distribution, hangon all-wheel drive offers benefits in terms of driving dynamics, agility and traction control, thus highlighting the performance of the specific models concerned.

The Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo offer further functions operated via a central offroad switch in the centre console. Given their active all-wheel-drive system, the Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo come with yet another optional setting: In Offroad Mode 1 all relevant systems such as ABS operate in a traction-oriented offroad program, in addition to Porsche Hill Control. As soon as the driver selects Offroad Mode 2, the longitudinal clutch is closed 100 per cent of even better traction on difficult terrain.

BTW, If you are an obsessively detail oriented engineer, that needs to know about every piece of technology that lurks under the skin, and every variation thereof (like yours truly), following link is fascinating and mandatory reading about our cars … see you all back in a week after you get done digesting it!

http://www.netcarshow.com/porsche/2011-cayenne/
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Texas, I completely agree. The Canadian list price for diesel is $64,500 (includes tiptronic). I added the premium plus package, a wheel upgrade to 19" design wheels, outside black gloss and JBM paint. Total price was $80k before taxes! Add 13% taxes here and you've got a $90k V6 diesel, with no performance options and no real stereo upgrade (PCM and nav comes in the package). So thankfully for me, I don't use a lot of options or gadgets, and simply focus on the performance and build of the vehicle. I've only had her a couple of days, but so far not missing or regretting anything.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Has anyone checked out the HD Radio? I took delivery on a 2012 Cayenne V6 last Dec with the standard sound system; have the Bose on my 2004 CTT. The current Bose package offering (2013) includes the CD changer, but with a flash drive, not much use CD's anymore IMO. My CD changer on the 2004 CTT isn't great, as it's very picky what CD it will accept. Anyway, my thought is now the Bose can be unbundled, and you can add the HD Radio. BTW, if I want music, I'll use the flash drive / iTunes; I would be primarily interested in the HD radio for Talk radio, and noticed on the HD radio web site, that many talk stations are using this new digital format. Any thoughts.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and comments to everyone! I put in an order this past weekend and Porsche accepted it so it will be built at some point in the future. Below is the actual build. My dealer had just received 5 diesels and only 1 was was not sold, so I was able to drive it prior to the order. Great ride. Handled well even without PASM and air suspension. Torque and thus acceleration was outstanding (it's no turbo, but for a trailer hauler and open road driver, it will be just fine). I really was impressed with the quiet and comfortable ride, and did I say quiet, wow. Really nice. Fit and finish was excellent too. Looking forward to the new pepper! Thanks again for all the comments on the options etc.

Cayenne Diesel 92A AV1 Price
BASE Cayenne Diesel 55,750.00
N4 Dark Blue Metallic 790.00
N4 Dark Blue Metallic 0.00
TW 2-toneLthrInterBlack/TitanBlue 4,085.00
EXT TPMS 0.00
1D6 Trailer Hitch w/o Ball 650.00
1N3 Power Steering Plus 0.00
3FE Moonroof 0.00
9JB Smoker package 0.00
1BK AirSusp-Selflvl&HeightAdj-PASM 3,965.00
3S1 RoofRails w/Moldings-Aluminum 1,190.00
2ZH Heated3-spokeMultifuncSW 0.00
PE5 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0.00
Q2J 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0.00
2C4 Memory Package for Electric St 0.00
3PN Memory Package for Electricall 0.00
PU3 Premium Package Plus 10,180.00
3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind 0.00
4A4 Heated Seats Front and Rear 0.00
4D3 Seat Ventilation Front 0.00
4L6 Auto Dimming Interior Rearview 0.00
6XT Automatically Dimming Exterior 0.00
7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center 0.00
7T1 PCM with Navigation Module 0.00
7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear 0.00
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA) 0.00
8EA Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights w/PDLS 0.00
9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting 0.00
PU6 Bose(R) Audio Package 2,160.00
QV4 SiriusXM(TM) Sat Radio Rcvr 0.00
7D7 Six-Disc Changer 0.00
9VL BOSE(R) Surround Sound System 0.00
-------------------------
Total with Options $ 78,770.00
-------------------------
DSTCHG Destination Charge 975.00
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philg3
Has anyone checked out the HD Radio? . Any thoughts.
I tried but its not listed as available before Nov 2012. Dealer had no idea of prices, and I would've had to wait & wait, so we let it go.
Hopefully it will be a retro fit option latter on, or I will use a Pure Highway or Viva after market unit.
I believe that Stinger car audio are going to release some sort of OEM intergration HD radio unit, but no details as yet, or if it will work with Porsche's PCM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Nice build stronbl.

It looks somewhat similar to our V-6 gas Cayenne.
You got a trailer hitch where we got upgraded wheels.
You got a roof rack where we got Euro delivery.
You got diesel where we got gas.

You will enjoy it when you get it - have you thought of Euro Delivery
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
Nice build stronbl.

It looks somewhat similar to our V-6 gas Cayenne.
You got a trailer hitch where we got upgraded wheels.
You got a roof rack where we got Euro delivery.
You got diesel where we got gas.

You will enjoy it when you get it - have you thought of Euro Delivery
Thanks. Yes I have thought about Euro delivery but unfortunately I am not able to make my schedule work. Looking forward to its arrival hopefully in a few months.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Worth the wait!
It has been a year of great drives for us, and we are over 46,000 km so far.
I think I would have gone diesel if it had been available last year.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice build! I have the exact same build, with the exception of the two-tone interior. Supposedly I will be taking delivery of my car some time this week. It's been a super long wait so far!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
dntlvet
Pro

I will pick up my Cayenne Diesel Thursday AM as well.
I looked at the build sheet and the Trailer package is
1D6 TrailerCouplw/o RemovBallJoint 650.00
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Thanks for the details Cowboy. Your last point also resonates, I am coming from an X5 with every available option on it, to a more "base" Cayenne. To me the enjoyment that comes from the chassis, engine, and suspension far exceeds how one feels after a while from all the bolt-on gimmickry.

As for the off-road control on your Diesel, this contradicts that info I was going on, and could have been an extra point in swaying my diesel decision! Perhaps Canadians do get the better system because of our snow (like somebody else suggested), and the web site does not reflect that!

From Porsche website there are two drivelines available for the Cayenne:

Diesel and Hybrid:
Porsche Traction Management (PTM): permanent all-wheel drive with self-locking center differential, aut. limited-slip differential (ABD) and traction-slip control (ASR), variable rear torque split

All others:
Porsche Traction Management (PTM): active all-wheel drive with electronic controlled, map-controlled multi-plate clutch, automatic limited-slip differential (ABD) and traction-slip control (ASR)

And from a detailed article explaining the difference:

Depending on the specific version of the Cayenne, the driver is able to adjust the car's offroad abilities in various stages. The focus in developing PTM was on optimising driving dynamics on the road while retaining the outstanding offroad qualities of the Porsche Cayenne. The result is two different PTM systems geared to the specific characteristics of the new models: In the Cayenne Diesel and the Cayenne S Hybrid, PTM comes with permanent all-wheel drive complete with a self-locking centre differential. In the Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo, on the other hand, PTM features active all-wheel drive with an electronically controlled, map-guided multiple-plate clutch.

This active all-wheel-drive system is featured on the particularly sporting and dynamic versions of the Porsche Cayenne because, with its wide range of power and torque distribution, hangon all-wheel drive offers benefits in terms of driving dynamics, agility and traction control, thus highlighting the performance of the specific models concerned.

The Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo offer further functions operated via a central offroad switch in the centre console. Given their active all-wheel-drive system, the Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo come with yet another optional setting: In Offroad Mode 1 all relevant systems such as ABS operate in a traction-oriented offroad program, in addition to Porsche Hill Control. As soon as the driver selects Offroad Mode 2, the longitudinal clutch is closed 100 per cent of even better traction on difficult terrain.

BTW, If you are an obsessively detail oriented engineer, that needs to know about every piece of technology that lurks under the skin, and every variation thereof (like yours truly), following link is fascinating and mandatory reading about our cars … see you all back in a week after you get done digesting it!

http://www.netcarshow.com/porsche/2011-cayenne/
Steve, I have now completed my read of the manual and I stand corrected. The off road modes are indeed as you described. I guess I never paid much attention as I'll likely never use these.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

So practically what does that mean for the diesel owner? I asked my salesman at the time I purchased it and he thought it would have the same system as the regular V6. Apparently, this is not the case. For me, the most offroading this vehicle will see is driving on muddy fields at triathlon events, etc... Perhaps some gravel/dirt roads. I'm more interested in snow performance to be honest.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel - what options?