Lease almost up on X5M. Thinking about GTS manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Lease almost up on X5M. Thinking about GTS manual trans

Hey all,

I've had my X5M for nearly three years. Love it but I have 3 other cars and don't NEED it.

I have two 911's, a 993 C2S and a 997 Turbo and an Escalade ESV that I use when I go up to the mountains.

I think when the lease comes up on the X5M, my daily driver, I'm just gonna try using the 993/997/ESV interchangeably as my daily driver. But I have a feeling I might want something mid-range cause the ESV is difficult to park and drive in Hollywood and the 911's aren't practical.

I was tossing around the idea (to save some money rather than buying out the X5M,) getting a pre-owned, Cayenne GTS with a 6 speed manual.

Wanted to get some thoughts.
Thanks,

Last edited by B-Line; 06-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

perhaps down on power but the cayenne is a great drive.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No first hand experience but I've heard the MT can be a "challenge" in stop & go traffic. 1st is pretty much for towing and starting up inclines. If it were me and the vehicle was going to be used for DD duty in LA I would go w/ the AT. Just my .02.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is true that the gearing in first is to low, and while I start off in 2nd on slow rolls, you'll then experience some "delay" in building the RPM's to start to feel the pull.

That said, you may be able to just stay in 2nd gear in stop and go.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Hmmm,

Could 1st gear really be that bad? I would think Porsche wouldn't bother having an H box variation if it weren't fun to drive??
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Originally Posted by B-Line
Hmmm,

Could 1st gear really be that bad? I would think Porsche wouldn't bother having an H box variation if it weren't fun to drive??
If you lived close by, I'd happily invite you to try it for yourself. But I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not fun. It's just first gear, and how quickly you run through it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by s4treg
If you lived close by, I'd happily invite you to try it for yourself. But I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not fun. It's just first gear, and how quickly you run through it.
haha,

Do you get a nice chirp ripping into 2nd?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 AM
B-Line
Drifting

So, did some research. Turns out my lease buyout is about $51k on the X5M.
The Manheim auctions are fetching about 65k-68k for MY 2010 X5M.
Which essentially means, I can buy it for $15k minimum less than it's worth on the street.

It would appear that the Cayenne GTS are going for about $55k on Manheim.

So, I can basically keep my X5M for less than what it would cost me to get into a GTS.

Would there be any justification for buying out the X5M and selling it and picking up a GTS?

Or, I may just pick up the X5M, flip it and not replace.. I'll use the 997T or the Escalade as my daily.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM
s4treg
Instructor

All I'll say is...you'll be happy with whatever you do, keep, sell, get a GTS, not. Fortunately you're on a Porsche forum and we get it, because I'm sure there are many people that would love this dilemma.

Go with your gut and what you think will make you happy, what will bring a smile to your face. My friends some times tell me, don't buy things, buy experiences. My response; driving a Porsche IS and experience...every time.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Or, I may just pick up the X5M, flip it and not replace.. I'll use the 997T or the Escalade as my daily.
That's what I'd do. You may not like the idea of beating up your 997T or Escalade on your daily commute but you're paying for their depreciation regardless. So why not use them.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by daddyscar
That's what I'd do. You may not like the idea of beating up your 997T or Escalade on your daily commute but you're paying for their depreciation regardless. So why not use them.
I've already paid the depreciation on the 997T and then some... lol.
I bought it as a launch car (luckily at MSRP) in 2006.

Problem is, I know it sounds silly, but without Bluetooth and Ipod and Satellite... It's almost difficult to drive as a daily driver. You sort of need those things now, especially as a DD. At the very least, bluetooth.

And cause it's rear engine, headsets don't work well. too loud. And the aftermarket kits all seem to be crap.

The Escalade was purchased pre-owned as a mountain beater so someone else absorbed the depreciation on that one. Also doesn't have Bluetooth..

Sometimes the littlest things can be so insanely annoying.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing, you've got a stable of drool-worthy vehicles, and your post goes right to the heart of the matter for many of us: cabin creature comforts are noticeably absent on a lot of good cars that we use as DDs, my CTT included. I was just complaining about lack of bluetooth and iPod integration standard. I get in a friend's Ford Focus that has like 2 cylinders and cardboard seats, but the stereo can pick up MY playlists somehow.

As for X5M... isn't that the CTT Killer? I would have said keep it even if it were $15K the opposite direction!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

All makes sense. Just got a 2008 G500 with all the convenience options along with the all important illuminated "Mercedes Benz" door sills. Not sporty at all but I love this thing. I had a 2011 Cayenne V6 which was great but was just too large for regularly driving and parking in SF . . . just gets beat up with door dings and scratches. Key is to ignore the 10mpg mileage and the fact that it's too tall for one of the garages I park in.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple. Get rid of the caddy and keep x5m as dd. you'd keep the 911 for the driving pleasure anyway...
Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by seankrider
Amazing, you've got a stable of drool-worthy vehicles, and your post goes right to the heart of the matter for many of us: cabin creature comforts are noticeably absent on a lot of good cars that we use as DDs, my CTT included. I was just complaining about lack of bluetooth and iPod integration standard. I get in a friend's Ford Focus that has like 2 cylinders and cardboard seats, but the stereo can pick up MY playlists somehow.

As for X5M... isn't that the CTT Killer? I would have said keep it even if it were $15K the opposite direction!
Thanks, I'm very fortunate.
I think Porsche had done itself a great disservice not being ahead or at least on top of technology at the turn of the millennium. Funny thing is, I used to never drive my 993. It was a mostly track car, especially after I went Light Weight Flywheel, RS Clutch and Coilovers. It was just too damned agro for the streets of LA.
Then my rear speakers finally blew out and I decided to drop in a monster stereo system, Sub, bluetooth, ipod integration, etc. The bluetooth works kinda crappy but it works just enough, provided I have the windows rolled up, the sunroof closed, etc. and I'm not traveling at highway speeds with lots of road noise. -- Since doing this simple upgrade to my 993, it has since become almost my daily driver. I drive it probably more than I drive the X5M now. And all it took was the ability for me to be able to make some phone calls and listen to my playlists.

If the 997 had Ipod, BT, Satellite, it would most likely also get a lot of time in the rotation. Truth is, it's been sitting with a dead battery for a couple months and I barely care. I'm enjoying my 993 with stereo too much to notice.
- Had I not done that to the 993, I don't think I would even consider getting rid of the X5M.

But therein also lies the big problem, on the Escalade and on the 997T, the stereo is so integrated into the function of the vehicle, you can't easily change the head unit and add a good system. You have to do some crappy, 3rd party, aftermarket Parrot or something that is just not worth the time or money.

In terms of getting rid of the Escalade, that's the car I take up to the mountains. I fit 7 people in it, snowboard gear, my dog and I don't have to worry about swapping the wheels out for a snow tire setup. The X5M will not handle the snow on it's current rubber.
And, little secret, when I want to go out drinking, a date, cross town to a party, I hire a driver off craigslist for $15hour to be my designated driver. Works great. I use a rotation of 2-3 different drivers who I pre-qualify. Cheapest limo in the world!

Quick Reply: Lease almost up on X5M. Thinking about GTS manual trans