Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On painting the rims, I cant recommend strongly enough, plasti dipping them. I did 18in turbos for my winters and they turned out great!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 AM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I saw the plasti-dip post yesterday. I am going to give this a shot, might see if I can get a cool contrast to the Titanium. Maybe the red color wheel kit...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They used BF Goodrich 265/65-18's for the Trassyberia (sp?) Cayenne rally trucks. I have no idea if they had to do anything to make them fit. I also do not know if the Trassyberias had air suspension - albeit the civilian models did. You did not mention if your Cayenne has air or not - that I recall, but too many Land Rover owners have had their air suspensions fail and their trucks drop to the bumpstops miles from tarmac. With oversize tires they could not even get towed out.

I saw an '04 Disco resting on its bumpstops leaving the gym this morning - which I took as a queue to purchase an extended warranty on my '08 FFRR today.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He has air.

Originally Posted by red95993
This is for my 2005 S with air suspension, hoping if I run it high there will be no issues.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Originally Posted by red95993
Funny, I saw the plasti-dip post yesterday. I am going to give this a shot, might see if I can get a cool contrast to the Titanium. Maybe the red color wheel kit...
Here are some pic's of the 18's I did (I even did the center caps myself).

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

and so the story with plasti-dip is if you get scuffs you can just spray it again? ..and it also peels off right? How durable is it? Is it hard or slightly rubberized?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
s4treg
Instructor

Originally Posted by endless_corners
and so the story with plasti-dip is if you get scuffs you can just spray it again?
Yes.

..and it also peels off right?
Yes, if you sprayed these on new rims, a year later you didn't like it, it comes right off and your rims look new again.

How durable is it?
It's more durable than paint, but not as strong as powder coating.

Is it hard or slightly rubberized?
It's rubber, which is why it holds up well, rocks kicking up while driving doesn't damage it. I left mine matte, but they make clear coats to go over it so you can gloss it up as well. It definitely has a textured feel to it, but when you see it, it's not lumpy or waffled. Overall, for my winter wheels, it's an excellent solution, even covered up the scratches and curb rash. For my 21" summer wheels, those were powder coated and I personally wouldn't use this method.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I think I'm gonna do this to the ml430. Is it easy to find the paint? Also what kind of prep did you do? Tire removal right? Also how did you mask the Porsche logo.. Careful tape job?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
s4treg
Instructor

I think I'm gonna do this to the ml430. Is it easy to find the paint? Also what kind of prep did you do? Tire removal right? Also how did you mask the Porsche logo.. Careful tape job?
Very easy to find black, they sell it at Home Depot. Other colors you'll need to Google (there's a website dedicated to Dipping your car). They have metallics, gloss, etc

You should take the wheels off the car, but you don't have to take the tires off. I've seen people that used index cards around the tire/rim and then sprayed them.

Prep job consisted of cleaning and then wiping down with rubbing alcohol.

Porsche logo, I was able to actually remove it from the cap. Mine was just glue/pressed on. That made it easy to just spray the entire thing. If you tape it off, you'll need to remove it quickly before it dries, OR cut around it before pulling off. Otherwise you'll pull all the plasti-dip back off, as it'll just peal away.

Perhaps we should take this to another thread, I'm starting to high-jack this off road wheels topic. PM if you want and I'll give you my email and/or phone.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I know... sorry for the Hijack folks!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Cole
Drifting

There appears to be no trimming. I think the rules of the rally forbid it anyway. (265/65/18)

I used the Duplicolor "wheel paint to do my turbo rims in black. Stuff is very durable. Just wipe the tire down with some sort of tire shine first and then the paint won't stick to the tire, no need to mask them off (it's also black paint so even if it did stick it would be hard to notice).

I've used the plastidip stuff on other projects with mixed results. It's harder to get a good touch up on than the Duplicolor wheel paint. The added thickness and rubbery nature of the plastidip can leave waves and wrinkles when scratched, instead of just a clean scratch to paint over.

I can say that the plastidip is a bitch to media blast back off once you screw it up!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cole. I hope the 265-55-18 BGF A/T's will work. My concern is when measuring my current setup with 275-45-19 Michelin's, there is only a little over an inch clearance on the front wheel from the wheel liner when the wheel is turned in about halfway. The BGF's are almost 3" taller...

Michelin 275-45-19 = 28.8" diameter
BFG TA's 265-65-18 = 31.7" diameter

Guess I will see if the tire shop will let me fit one tire first...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Cole
Drifting

Two things to consider.

Your current tires are wider. So when you turn the wheel the edge will get closer to the fender liner.

3" taller equals 1.5" at each side of the wheel. So the height is only getting 1.5" closer......until you turn the wheel, then it should actually be less.

Also note that the Tour-egg guys run this size all the time.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I see what you mean.

Did you by chance ever write for a 4X magazine? I used to read 2 or 3 of them, I remember a Cole at one of them...
I used to have a CJ 3-A and a 75 Blazer. The Cayenne is not as simple...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

I wrote for Rockcrawler.com for about 10 years. There is also Cole Quinell that wrote for several of the print mags.

Quick Reply: Off Road Tires