Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

ekeeton,

Congrats on the purchase!!

Our 2004 C-TT we have owned since new and now has 252,000+ miles on the ticker. We had the coolant pipes fail and subsequently replaced. We had to also replace the water pump - I think twice now - first one failed at 50k. At some point after the coolant pipes were replaced I would also smell coolant once it was parked or when sitting in traffic for prolonged periods - temp rose but never dangerously. Had my mechanic look into it and the coolant tee fitting on the back of the intake had failed and on the back of the engine there is a manifold that connects the coolant from the left and the right sides of the engine - there are o-rings that are used to seal it to the engine - one of those was pinched and was causing a slight leak. So we got all those fixed and every once in a while I still smell a very very very faint coolant smell - again once in a while. We had to replace a battery about 2 years ago and with it the air suspension computer. Vacuum pump and some of the lines at one point also last summer.

It may sound like alot but for the work it does it's been alot of fun to drive and very reliable for the mileage. I have some friends who have recently been in it with me and they cannot believe the power and handling combo (even with the high mileage).

I've never been one to buy a car (nice or not) and sit on it and not drive it - by comparison my 996 Turbo has 346,000 miles on it too.

When something breaks fix it, drive it when you want and go enjoy it!!

T2 - knocking on wood - your results may vary.................
Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

T2 - you make me feel like my Cayenne (107K miles) and 996 (113K miles) are young pups!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

T2, this is great news to hear that you have had good service and use from your 2004 Cayenne turbo over many years and a ton of miles. Thanks for sharing your Porsche enjoyment.....
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, T2. I'm going to have my mechanic look at the t-fitting and the o-rings. I haven't seen any temperature rise at all. I was mainly freaked out by the possibility of the plastic pipes still being on there. The PO seems to have been very conscientious at maintaining the car, so just about all the bad things I've heard about have been addressed.

This will be my wife's DD, and yes we plan on using it.
My DD is a 944 with 179K, my backup is a 928 with 125K, waiting for a water pump. And when everything else fails, the Jeep Wrangler with 240K pitches in when it's not at the beach.
I keep cars for a long time.

btw, while shopping for the car, I inquired about another C TT at a dealer. When I asked if the coolant pipes had been changed, the answer was "They don't need to, they've never leaked." I thanked the kind gentleman and hung up the phone while breaking into laughter.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised he didnt say.. sure so are coming down today?

Quick Reply: Buying advice for 2004 Turbo