Volkswagen Parts on Cayennes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Volkswagen Parts on Cayennes?

Do the Volkswagen SUV and the Cayenne share a number of suspension and drivetrain parts? When I was at the Porsche dealer they had a Cayenne on a ramp and the ZF rear differential had the VW logo on it.

If they do share a number of parts I wonder what the percentage of VW parts are on the Cayenne and what percentage of Porsche parts are on the VW.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When the design teams went their seperate ways, they shared piece part supplier knowledge for cost efficiency. I think you were looking at a casting (piece part).
Old 07-12-2003, 09:09 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that they are more similar than just stamped parts. The same as many Porsches of the past. Other than a relay (previous Porsche) I have yet to buy parts. But I was told you can save money buying the VW parts that fit your Porsche.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I hope that works out
Old 07-13-2003, 02:13 AM
John from WA
Racer

They are the same. The only differance between the two is the engine, the software for the tranny, interior trim, and a couple of the body panels.

Cheers,
Old 07-13-2003, 03:41 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
While others tell me that many older Porsches contained varying proportions of VW parts, the Cayenne does not. The cooperative design stopped at the rolling chassis sans engine, and a few body panels are identical, but even the parts such as struts, springs, transmission, transfer case, etc., that could be common, aren't tuned the same, so they aren't the same parts. Absolutely there are finishing parts that are indeed the same, as P and VW are sharing that info for lower costs thru higher volume.

John from WA, the Cayenne and Toureg are NOT 'the same', even with your 'only differance'(s) (SIC) noted.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:01 AM
JeffES
Pro

A bit "off topic" here, but please note that VW is still quite a bit vertically integrated, with their own manufacturing capabilities (heavy machine shops, stamping plants, etc...). One can purchase a wide range of "VW made" pieces and parts - and VW is notorious in the industry for insisting that their logo appear on finished parts, or else you pay big $$$. This is the current situation on VW built Getrag manual trans. used in Boxsters & Carreras.
Porsche is, and has been for many years (decades), the industry's least integrated carbuilder - they "outsourced" long before it became a buzzword.
Again, apologies for being a bit off topic,
J
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

No problem Jeff, useful information
Old 07-16-2003, 03:33 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

http://europe.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=315
Old 07-16-2003, 04:47 AM
JeffES
Pro

Great link! Thanks!
J
Old 07-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I had a 52 P Speedster in the mid 50's. It had an 8" windshield and was a God awful car.

VW produced the engine and it said so all over. F. Porsche may have spec'd gear ratios, head grinding, tuning, etc., and it was raced in Europe. The major problem was the weight distribution in the car. The front would acqua plane at 90 % humidity. Very disconcerting....

In those years roll up windows in sports cars were considered a candy *** item. My XK120 had side curtains. The Speedster had roll ups and so did my 52 Alpha Spider (w DeDion rear end - independent suspend.) It out handled the Speedster easily.

History shows Germany in real bad shape in those years and their manufacturing ability was greatly diminished. It amazing what they have accomplished.

Sorry for the indulgent nostalgia.........
Old 07-16-2003, 03:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Great post Torags, very interesting
Old 07-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys,
I think the only way to actually finish this story off is for a group of people to visit the factory in Slovakia where the Cayenne and Toureg are actually built. Then you will see what is the same. Then take a trip to Leipzig to watch them assembly the Cayenne to see what is different. Anyone up for it. Maybe a tour package can be arranged but only for those who are genuinely serious. If I have an indication of genuine participants maybe I can see if something can be arranged.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Adrian

What an excellent excuse for a road trip...... I'd certainly be interested.....
Old 07-18-2003, 06:09 AM
PaulT911
4th Gear

I have to respectfully disagree with Torags, on some speedster facts. The speedster was not produced in '52 and no speedster ever had roll up windows, only side curtains. Speedster production began I believe in 54 and ceased in 58. After that, the convertible D was introduced, which was similar to the speedster but had much more comfortable seats, higher windshield and roll up windows. Perhaps this is the car you are thinking of. Also, although obviously very similar to the VW engine and sharing some incidental parts, the engines were indeed made by Porsche at their factory and indeed had Porsche stampings on the case, heads, and most other major components. Perhaps the engine you are recollecting was not an original? Sorry to hear you are not a fan of the car, I always thought it to be one of their best cars, even if it is rather spartan. Agree with you on the handling and weight distribution though, not easy to drive at the limits! Anyway, do not mean to ramble..

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Parts on Cayennes?