Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volkswagen Parts on Cayennes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:53 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey you lot got to slovakia, I will go where they are made instead.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Adrian
Guys,
I think the only way to actually finish this story off is for a group of people to visit the factory in Slovakia where the Cayenne and Toureg are actually built. Then you will see what is the same. Then take a trip to Leipzig to watch them assembly the Cayenne to see what is different. Anyone up for it. Maybe a tour package can be arranged but only for those who are genuinely serious. If I have an indication of genuine participants maybe I can see if something can be arranged.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
How long would a trip like this be? What would be the arrival and departure city?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trips to Cayanne country

Europe is small. For international flights, the easiest way would be to fly direct to Paris and then on to Prague. Take a train to Slovakia. Then a train to Leipzig. Train to Frankfurt and then fly direct back to the US. I know of these flight, but there may be others for example Frankfurt direct to Kosice Slovakia.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 PM
JeffES
Pro

Well, there is a "new" airport @ Leipzig - actually they're refurbishing/moving the old one. Last year there was still an old, rusting Anotov (sp) corroding away at the end of the "old" runway!
If memory serves, this thread started with a question about suspension & drivetrain. In that case, here's some stuff:
Engine(s) - assembled in Zuffenhausen
Transmission - modified BW/A shipped to Zuffenhausen, mated to engine
Drive Axles/Diffs - depending on version, shipped by supplier to Bratislava, installed there. Exception is TT, some drive components installed in Leipzig.

Basically, what "rolls" off of the train in Leipzig is a complete exterior, complete interior, some suspension/drivetrain. At Leipzig the powertrain is "mated" to the rest of the Cayenne.

Hope this helps,
J
Old 07-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

JeffES

Thanks for the info. What's your take on the air suspension. Do you think there is a difference between VW&P units?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PaulT911
I have to respectfully disagree with Torags, on some speedster facts. The speedster was not produced in '52 and no speedster ever had roll up windows, only side curtains. Speedster production began I believe in 54 and ceased in 58. After that, the convertible D was introduced, which was similar to the speedster but had much more comfortable seats, higher windshield and roll up windows. Perhaps this is the car you are thinking of. Also, although obviously very similar to the VW engine and sharing some incidental parts, the engines were indeed made by Porsche at their factory and indeed had Porsche stampings on the case, heads, and most other major components. Perhaps the engine you are recollecting was not an original? Sorry to hear you are not a fan of the car, I always thought it to be one of their best cars, even if it is rather spartan. Agree with you on the handling and weight distribution though, not easy to drive at the limits! Anyway, do not mean to ramble..
Hi Paul..

You're probably right on year of origin. I owned it in 58-59. The car did have side curtains because the windshield wouldn't allow windows. My 52 Alpha had roll ups.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
JeffES
Pro

"Different" - well, yes and no. The basic suspension layout is the same, with mostly common parts (note that even though the suspension(s) are assembled in a VW factory, they are not 100% the same). The real issue is in the "tuning" or application. The Cayenne's controller tends to react more quickly, esp on rebound, than the VW's, among other operational differences. These differences are required due to the power output of the C vs the T, and due to the different drivetrain (baseline of 50/50 split in the C, 60/40 plus in the T).
I can imagine that the aftermarket guys are already drooling over the possibilities! By the way, another difference is that the VW system "sets" a given range of compression/rebound, while the P system can actually vary the pressure, and thus the compression "and/or" the rebound on the same stroke! Very trick!
J
Old 07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

JeffES:

Thanks for the post.

(baseline of 50/50 split in the C, 60/40 plus in the T). You mean power allocation of 50/50 in T & 60/40 in C... Right?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

Torags, the C's torque distribution is 63% rear, 37% front, normally. The Tourag's is 50/50.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:55 PM
JeffES
Pro

JB is correct. I had a bit o'the Guiness whilst typing - thankfully the only mistake I made was in info - didn't spill a drop!
JB, I owe you one!
J

Quick Reply: Volkswagen Parts on Cayennes?