Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated - Ceramic Brake Pads - 368mm - MY08-10 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been using the EBC Yellows on my '06 Turbo S for almost a year now and no squeaks or grinding noises. On their website they list it as a track pad yes, but also a heavy SUV pad capable of higher temps than the Reds with a slight increase in dusting over the Reds. I have found that they do dust less than the OEM pads and the cold and hot braking are equal or better the the stock Turbo S pads. Would I purchase them again, for now I would say hands down yes, we'll see how long they last over time and EBC say's they are easier on the rotors than the Stock pads, and at well over $1K for a set of front Turbo S rotors I'll take what I can get.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question hahn.. where did you purchase your rotors if you don't mind.. thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
renaissance.man
Advanced

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I have been using the EBC Yellows on my '06 Turbo S for almost a year now and no squeaks or grinding noises. On their website they list it as a track pad yes, but also a heavy SUV pad capable of higher temps than the Reds with a slight increase in dusting over the Reds. I have found that they do dust less than the OEM pads and the cold and hot braking are equal or better the the stock Turbo S pads. Would I purchase them again, for now I would say hands down yes, we'll see how long they last over time and EBC say's they are easier on the rotors than the Stock pads, and at well over $1K for a set of front Turbo S rotors I'll take what I can get.
Thanks for sharing. I tried to do a quick search for CTT owners with EBC Yellowstuff pads for primary street-use, but came up short handed. Glad to hear that the relative heavy weight of the P!G helps with the cold bite. Looking forward to my new setup now. Should be better performance with less $$$ spent at the dealer.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM
grand.sapin
Cruisin'

Have you checked with these guys?

http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp

Let us know how the EBC works, I have to change the pads on mine pretty soon.
Are you using new rotors or re-surfacing the ones you have?
Thanks,
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I purchased my Turbo S front rotors (OEM 380mm $995) from www.msroadrace.com for the rears I got a set of EBC Sport rotors high Carbon (part USR1497 slotted, and very good looking rotor) from www.mudflaps.com for $216.22 a pair shipped, although it took a month to get them. Once again the EBC Sport rear rotors are a real nice looking anodized slotted rotor and I've read some very good feedback on their Hi Carbon Cast Iron rotors. I wish EBC made a front rotor, the OEM Turbo S 2 pc is a good design, I really wish Porsche sold the rotors and let us reuse the hats or that someone made a replacement.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I really wish Porsche sold the rotors and let us reuse the hats or that someone made a replacement.
I'm with you there. Doesn't make sense to have a 2-piece if you can't replace the piece that wears out.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM
renaissance.man
Advanced

Originally Posted by grand.sapin
Have you checked with these guys?

http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp

Let us know how the EBC works, I have to change the pads on mine pretty soon.
Are you using new rotors or re-surfacing the ones you have?
Thanks,
Just checked and it looks like they do make an appropriate pad for the 368mm. Depending on how well the EBC pads work out, I might give them next up at bat.

In regards to your question, I am within rotor spec so no need to replace rotors.

I am told that EBC pads are made to order and typically have a 5 day delay. I just got my pads shipped after about 10 days and it will take another 7 days to get here... sigh.

Good thing this wasn't an emergency.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I've never had to wait for a set of EBC pads to be made for any of my vehicles. Try www.autopartswarehouse.com they have great prices and free shipping for orders over $50. I think they do business under mulitiple company names and most parts are drop shipped from various parts warehouses.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Cordachine
8th Gear

I'm getting the sqeeeeeeek when stoping at slow speed, so I'm in the market.

Three questions:

1. Of those using the EBC Yellow's, how do you like them and how bout the dust vs OEM?
2. Has anybody found the 368mm ceramic's yet?
3. If the pad replacement light hasn't came on yet, does it need to be replaced?

Thanks all!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
renaissance.man
Advanced

For the record, squeaking does not necessarily mean that you need new brake pads- common misnomer. Visually inspect your brake pads to see how much compound is left on the brake pad backing plate.

Originally Posted by Cordachine

1. Of those using the EBC Yellow's, how do you like them and how bout the dust vs OEM?
Sorry, ended up going with Carbotech brake pads at the eleventh hour - returned the EBC pads. With a lot of online research, they were able to convince me that they were the better company for serious auto track/racing applications (not to imply that EBC is bad). They also had 4 different options of compounds, so I was better convinced that they would have something with the characteristics that I wanted.

However, user "hahnmgh63" should be able to chime in here to provide feedback for EBC brakes.

2. Has anybody found the 368mm ceramic's yet?
Not sure, however, Carbotech might have a ceramic option that is not marketed as such since they have four different options. Be careful not to assume that ceramic = best.

3. If the pad replacement light hasn't came on yet, does it need to be replaced?
If upon visual inspection, it appears to be "low", then the brake pad should be changed. See beginning statement. The added bonus is that you can reuse the wear indicators and save about $100 if you change before the brake light comes on. Now there is an incentive!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
grand.sapin
Cruisin'

Default Carbotech pads 368mm

Which compound did you choose for Carbotech pads?
Any feedback on how they perform (dust, noise etc...)?
I have the the 368mm on my also and will need to change them soon.
Did you re-surface the rotors?
Thanks,
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
renaissance.man
Advanced

Originally Posted by grand.sapin
Which compound did you choose for Carbotech pads?
Any feedback on how they perform (dust, noise etc...)?
I have the the 368mm on my also and will need to change them soon.
Did you re-surface the rotors?
Thanks,
As per one of the sales reps suggestion, I went with the XP8 front and 1521 rear combination.

I didnt mind a little brake squeal, but wanted good initial bite and fade resistance for autocross / light track. Main duty was as a daily driver. I did this upgrade in combination with SS lines and a new exhaust, so I haven't had much time to form an opinion. Right now I am very happy. They have a "normal" amount of brake squeal about 70% of the time. The other 30% they seem quiet. I haven't noticed under what conditions. When I noticed it, I was able to modulate the brakes to reduce some of the effect. They may continue to quiet down a little more with time.

To answer your other question, I did not have the rotors turned. Instead I opted to thoroughly sand the rotors to completely remove the previously embedded pad compound. This is the VERY minimum needed. I hear that Carbotech are very strict when it comes to bedding the pads and needed clean rotors for the first set of pad compounds.

Also, I should mention that Carbotech was the most expensive option.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
grand.sapin
Cruisin'

I just ordered the Carbotech CT1349 compound 1521, will get them in two weeks.
I also ordered a new set of Zimmerman rotors to go with and all new hardware, sensors from Sunset, will see how it goes.
Hopefully I'll get less brake dust then with the OEM pads.

I would like to do the braided brake lines, what brand and where did you get them?

Once i get everything i will put the Cayenne on jack stands and install my KW coilovers at the same time.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
maxcayenne
Intermediate

Default front pads option for 08 Turbo

I am relatively new to Cayenne (Porches for that matter) and this forum. I have a 2008 Cayenne Turbo with factory wheels and red front calipers. The brake pad warning light came on and need to change front brake pads. I read in some other posts about the Hawk Performance Ceramic brakes. I found the following on Pelican Parts. Part number is "Part #: PEL-HB501Z-625" and on the list page that takes me to the above link it says "Note: 0.625 in. Thickness. For use on vehicles with 350mm rotors":

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...25&SVSVSI=1086

Question #1:
Can someone please advise if these pads will work with my 08 Cayenne Turbo?

Question #2
Also does anyone have first hand experience how they perform? My driving style is just regular highway/city.

Question #3
In addition to the pads, I understand the sensor should be installed as well. Anything else besides pads and sensors?

many thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need new brake pad hardware. Also check the rotor thickness as they might need replacing as well.

Quick Reply: Frustrated - Ceramic Brake Pads - 368mm - MY08-10 Cayenne Turbo