Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cartronics Bluetooth and Ipod Install from Hell With A Happy Ending.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cartronics Bluetooth and Ipod Install from Hell With A Happy Ending.

Before I purchased this unit I did research read some of the threads on this site, and watched videos. I have never seen where anyone had any major issues with the install. That was not the case for me. I am sharing this to possibly help someone else who may be looking into doing this install. Cartronics technical support was great but they said some of the issues I had only happen in 1 out of 100 sales (lucky me). My vehicle is a 2004 Cayenne S with Navigation and no phone buttons.

Day 1

I will start by saying in each case I feel I did not ask that one extra question through this whole ordeal. I was unaware that the plug on the existing CD changer had to be removed. If you have small hands and skinny arms you could probably reach under and around the cd changer to remove the plug. If you are looking at the changer the plug is on the left side of the rear. In my case I was able to touch the plug but could not reach the release. I ended up having to remove most of the trim on the passenger side of the trunk. This took about an hour due to wanting to be careful and not break anything. If I had to do it again It would probably take about 15 mins. Once this was done I was able to reach all of the screws holding in the changer and was able to slide the changer out, remove the plug and install the fiber optic loop they provided. The extra question I should have asked was Do you need to remove the factory cd changer?

Moving on to the dash. Accessing everything hear was straight forward just like in the videos. Removing the passenger panel and glove compartment were straight forward and easy. Here is where I made what could have been a very costly error. The white tab on the fiber optic connector would not come out. When I called customer support they said "sometimes they are tough but it will come out." Turns out I was actually pushing the incoming fiber optic cable which was also white thinking it was the back end of the white plug. I should have asked them specifically where to insert the small screw driver. Now hind site is 20/20 and I should have known better than this but I kept driving that screw driver into the slot until CRACK!!! I split the tip of the fiber optic cable in half. That is when I realized I should have been pushing inside the very thin crack that runs the length of the connector. That is when the connector came right out. So as thoughts of my entire audio system being ruined and destroyed entered my head I tried to see if the cable could be salvaged in anyway. I don't know alot about fiber optics but I do know that it is like a light bulb. It either works or it doesn't. There was just enough of the tip left to push it in far enough for the retainer to hold it in place. Thank God the radio began to play and I was able to finish the install. I should be fine. I gave it a good little tug and it stayed in place. After the install the Ipod and auxiliary output for my XM radio worked and sounded great BUT..............

Day 2

The Bluetooth was not working. As you may know at Cartronics the Bluetooth kit is $799.00 and to add the Ipod and Aux it is an additional $99.00. So the Bluetooth not working was a big deal. Since it was after hours I could not contact anyone at Cartronics until the morning. After checking all of the software versions they concluded the Bluetooth should be working. We did a test and we were able to get the Bluetooth to wireless send music through my system from my Iphone 4. This confirmed the Bluetooth was working and this meant it was something with the car. So I was off to the dealer. Cartronics stated that I needed to have the phone functions on my car turned on at the dealer. So I get to the dealer they said they have never had to do that before. Tech support did say this is an issue in 1 out of 100 cars so I was not shocked by what they said. 10 minutes later they came back and said my pcm would not communicate with their system, and their was nothing they could do. Now being in full panic mode thinking I may need a new pcm I get home and call Cartronics back again. Their response was "did you have the system in bypass mode?" Once again I should have asked them about that the first time. After I learned how to get into bypass mode we were back to the dealer again. This time they came back with good news. My pcm communicated and they were able to turn on the phone functions. Hats off to Beachwood Porsche In Cleveland, they did not charge me one dime to do this. The first thing I noticed when I got in the car was a little phone Icon on the bottom of my screen. Paired my phone with the system and SUCCESS!!!! Bluetooth and Ipod working perfectly. Thus the happy ending.

I didnt mean to right a book but I felt this experience was worth sharing. Would I do it again? Yes Would I be a little more careful? Yes. The only big self inflicted wound I had was the fiber optic cable. The other stuff was just the luck of the draw. But anyone looking to do this I would recommend finding out if your phone features are turned on. I just assumed they were on by default. Also if you have to remove the changer only put the mounting bolts back in on the right side. They are accessible and you should only have to do this when you sell or trade in you vehicle. I really hope this helps somebody, but I am very happy with the product despite the issues.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Great write up - thanks for sharing. This type of thing is exactly what forums are for...

Just so I understand correctly - your PCM doesn't have the 2 phone buttons on the top left? Does it have the Tel button across the bottom? How to you answer and end calls without these buttons and how do you get to your contacts?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Yes on this unit you have no controls on the radio. You must initiate and answer calls from the phone. As far as the phone book I'm not sure yet but I don't think it's supported.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

How is the sound over bluetooth?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM
willrwilli
Intermediate

The sound over Bluetooth is great. The sound only comes out of one speaker but that is normal. Also when streaming music through Bluetooth the sound quality is also good.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Hmmm... doesn't sound all that appealing. The Dension GW500/BTA1500 combo does the complete phone book in the PCM screen, is dialed using the PCM buttons, and generally works just like the factory setup should. It also outputs the phone from all the speakers as best I can tell. Dunno BT streaming, I've never tried it.. much easier to use a USB stick. It appears the Dension setup is also much less expensive (I paid $490 for mine with free shipping.)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
willrwilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hmmm... doesn't sound all that appealing. The Dension GW500/BTA1500 combo does the complete phone book in the PCM screen, is dialed using the PCM buttons, and generally works just like the factory setup should. It also outputs the phone from all the speakers as best I can tell. Dunno BT streaming, I've never tried it.. much easier to use a USB stick. It appears the Dension setup is also much less expensive (I paid $490 for mine with free shipping.)
Well for my situation this was the best (only) option. As mentioned my Cayenne does not have the phone buttons built into the radio. Because of this the Cartronics was the only one that guaranteed the bluetooth function would work with this setup. I know I paid a ton but it works as promised.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You only get sound out of 1 speaker ? mine is out of all speakers

Quick Reply: Cartronics Bluetooth and Ipod Install from Hell With A Happy Ending.