Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used Cayenne without CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 AM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Would you buy a used Cayenne without CPO?

So I have been shopping around for GTS's for some time now. I have found a couple from time to time that have the options I require (trailer hitch being a primary factor) but are offered for sale without CPO through individuals or non Porsche dealers. I am fearful of owning one of these new fangled P cars without a comprehensive warranty. My perspective is that because the CPO warranty extends beyond the balance of the factory warranty, it is very valuable. However the GTS's that are advertised by BMW and Mercedes dealers for example are asking the same price as the CPO'd cars from Porsche dealers. Porsche dealers have told me that a CPO is worth about $3K within the selling price of one of their advertised CPO cars. Even if these vehicles are relatively reliable for a performance oriented SUV, in the absence of a warranty, any non-covered repair(s) could easily/quickly exceed $3K.
Interested to hear opinions on this dilemma... thanks.

Last edited by turbo3six; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2008 GTS from a Merc dealer but I also purchased a warranty to go with it. So to answer your questions, yes, I'd buy one without CPO but not without a warranty.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently had an experience where I was glad I had CPO. With these vehicles, everything costs $$$. Also, there is little one can do without factory software.
If you don't buy it with CPO, atleast have some $$ set aside in case you run into any issues.
Regards.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In the words of Bobby Collins ... " are you out of your f&%ing mind?"
In the words of McGarrett ... "Book 'em Danno" (tribute to MadFox )

In a word ... No.

Aftermarket warranties have multiple layers of exclusions ... my favoite is an exemption against claims for plastic parts in the coolant system ... so cracked coolant tubes are excluded.

It's CPO or nothing.
If you decide to go into a long term monogamous P!g relationship naked, take several thousand dollars, place it into an airtight Mason jar and bury it somewhere out in the P!g Pen.
If you need a repair, go dig it up.
If you end your relationship with the P!g, go dig it up and celebrate.

Apart from that, I have no opinion on this subject.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
vyper340
Pro

U don't need a CPO but if you find one and price is close it can't hurt
Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, been there done that!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the replies thus far, which are mostly inline with what I expected the consensus here would be. Aftermarket warranties have garnered a reputation not unlike Timeshare vacation packages...no thank you.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Cliff Diving,it even has a slang term it is so bad a idea
Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

How much of the major work can you do yourself? What shape is the vehicle in now to the best of your knowledge? All records for work done?
I am lucky enough to have a decent shop at home with a lift and I took a chance two years ago and bought a '06 CTTS and did the coolant pipes first thing to be safe, also did fluids in the Diffs & Trasfer case & will do the tranny & filter in the next month or two. I've put 20K on it with no problems. I've just reached 56K so I'm sure the Cardan shaft is on borrowed time but other than that it's been great.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will say CPO is a plus to have to avoid potential $$$ issues with these cars or ANY cars. I purchased my CTT from original owner and no CPO. I did all my homework, checked service records, got a PPI done, etc... I read all the potential issues and have done the coolant pipes (preventive) and cardan shaft (broke). These items alone were pretty close to the $3k mark.
So far on my experience without CPO is good (knock on wood). Maintenance is the key and it was VERY well maintained and of course I will continue doing the same.

I guess all depends on the car and if this is a deal or not.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

You might be able to work a deal with an owner that has had all services completed at the dealer, have the seller sell it to the dealer at an agreed price, then you buy from the dealer at a price that includes the CPO. I have one for sale that would fit that criteria.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Since you've found the prices are the same with/without it (non-P dealer/P-dealer CPO) - why are you even asking? I wouldn't. I did own my P!G for about a week before anything big really turned up.. covered under CPO, saved me about $2500. Doesn't take much to cost that on a Cayenne at dealer rates.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 464 Posts

My '05 V6 was nekkid when I bought it a year ago. 15k miles later, it runs better than when I picked it up with absolutely nothing except oil changes. I love this truck; it's a member of the family.

I've said before: cliff diving ain't what it used to be. The 955-series are getting up there in years and miles. CPOs aren't even going to be an option before long; the worst of the kinks have been encountered and repaired; and you're going to start seeing age- and mileage-related problems anyway.

It's a Porsche, what could go wrong? Go for it!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

I wont be doing any of the repairs. I am only considering 09-10 GTS models which are still under factory warranty and have full dealer service history. An interesting purchase scenario proposed by Pranqster, thank you.
Looking for Meteor Grey/Black Tiptronic, trailer pkg, Bi Xenon Light Comfort, Bluetooth, XM Sirius.
Full leather and / or rear camera would be a bonus but not required... Pano roof not desired.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Cuba
Instructor

I just bought my 05CTT naked, not worried. I think it depends on what you're used to. I like to buy used cars and am used to repairs, sometimes expensive repairs, and some aren't. If you are a take it to the stealership everytime you think you heard something weird kind of person then yeah you're probably screwed. If you're used to repairs, know how to get your hands dirty on occasion, and have a good indy mechanic then just do it. Assuming there no major electrical gremlins of course...

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Cayenne without CPO?