Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me... or does this surprise you??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM
race3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me... or does this surprise you??

Is it just me... or is it surprising that Porsche does not offer a "on star" type system? So many major car companies now offer this (mercedes Tel Aid, BMW Assist, etc. etc.). It is extremely helpful in accidents when you may not be able to call for help. Not to mention the other convenience features and security tracking if your car was stolen.

I'm really surprised that Porsche does not offer this as an OPTION. I'm about to get a Cayenne Turbo and wonder if there are any after market options to fill this gap. I know on star has a mirror with this tech built in that you can buy... but I don't want to replace the mirror. any other options? thx.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
pizazz
2nd Gear

I have a AutoPage alarm with the C3 cellular module. It allows gps tracking and lots of other functions including arming, disarming, locking/unlocking doors, and remote start. I still have to pay a subscription fee for the year. $125 I believe. I like the idea that I can get texts and emails when their is a problem with the alarm sensor. Much better than relying on the range of the RF transmitter.

OnStar does have that mirror retrofit option like you mentioned, I don't think the replacement looks that bad. If you want the features that is what you would have to live with.

I would like the security knowing that it would auto connect to a help center in a wreck situation. That is about the only thing I am missing. I just hope I can reach my iphone to dial help if I get in a wreck. Otherwise I am positive SIRI wouldn't understand and let me lay there bleeding out.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Porsche tech is devoted to providing more driving aids to safely go(much )faster than most other cars
Porsche(in my humble experience) gives you the tools to avoid accidents
PDCC,PTV,PASM,PCCB...no one even comes close to make going fast so ridiculously easy
Though if you tried to take curves at 150 in an Escalade..i don't even see how having onstar would help you
Just my Autobahn tested 2c...
Safe and happy trails to y'all
Ps:had a 150-175(mph of course!) run from Leipzig to Berlin(55-60 minutes)...and believe you me,I was VERY happy with the technology that allowed an average Joe like me to(safely) drive like that
Also,the Burmester is a pretty decent sound system
Oh and btw,don't try that at home!!!!

Last edited by jerry joseph; 12-05-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
whistle34
Advanced

i think they passed on that for the climate control glove box!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by whistle34
i think they passed on that for the climate control glove box!
Dude! My 86 951 has a climate controlled glove box

Honestly Porsche is just behind on some tech. Hell, it them till 2009 to offer Bluetooth in the Cayenne.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My personal opinion.... I think Porsche spends more resources in making the driving of their vehicles a more fun and satisfying experience than on all these little gadgets that cause distraction. That said, I do love the gadgets on the newer (2011+) Cayenne especially the little navigation window in the instrument cluster.

The 2010 X5 we test drove prior to purchasing our CS had all the bells and whistles in it... but when driving the car, it did not connect to us. Wife drove the CS the same day and it was her first time driving one and she was hooked and all smiles. She firmly wanted the Cayenne more than the X5.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

When OnStar was originally introduced, in-dash navigation systems were not common, and mobile phones were less common than they are today. Bluetooth was not common at that time. The system provided turn-by-turn directions, as well as an integrated telephone. It also featured a concierge service if you opted for the premium package. I had it in my 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero, and I found it somewhat useful, but not anything too special.

The only things that really seem useful about it now are the automatic notification to the call center if you're in an accident, and the remote unlocking. While these are nice, they aren't used very often. I think most people who got OnStar activated for a trial period with their new vehicle didn't renew it when it was time for them to actually pay for it. I'm guessing this is a pretty expensive system for a manufacturer to maintain, and Porsche didn't see the value in it.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
Ps:had a 150-175(mph of course!) run from Leipzig to Berlin(55-60 minutes)...
No pics of speedo = didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Is it just me... or does this surprise you??