Dension woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dension woes

Hope someone can help.

Purchased a BT1500 bluetooth adapter. I have been able to pair my iphone4 but I cannot get to any music ?

When i hit CD and then try and go into the CDLIST menu I just see "AUX GW" and no names of any albbums. When I hit track list I can change a few options around (.no ipod, .no usb etc..) but no matter what i selecet her I still cant access any music.

Also when i try and go into the phonebook I get an intial SUBMENU of ABC, DEF etc.. and when i go into one of these I am then UNABLE to return back to the full list of ABC, DEF, GHI etc.. Also, when i dial a number of receive a number i don't hear any dialling tone or ringing or voice ? Also, when i go into missed calls or recent calls the list is blank. It does not seem to be accesisng my recent calls list from my iphone ?

any ideas folks ? on the brink of sending this all back as it has to be the clunkiest thing i've ever experienced (even if it can access my tunes and phonebook properly)
Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

I remember that if you cycle the service switch on and off at least three times. it will somehow set it self or reset itself or whatever.
I did that on mine and all of a sudden I heard music and it showed the titles, tracks, album etc.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks Rob, much obliged

can I ask you where this service switch is ?

is this somehting on the 500 or the bluetooth BT1500 perchance ?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's the switch on the aux input. The one that changes the blue LED from solid to flashing for servicing the vehicle.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
jackal2513
Racer

ok, now youve got me ?

aux input, blue LED's ... im not certain my cayenne has these ?

is this something round the back of the PCM module or maybe something that is freely visible on the cayenne dashboard and i'm just being incredibly dumb ?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The switch on this part. It's part of the Dension.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think you don't have that part on the 1500.
Sorry for the wrong info.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

The question is - what is the 1500 plugged into if he doesn't have that switch? The BTA1500 isn't a stand-alone product, it needs the GW500 (or the Gateway "Light" 100) to work.

OP - have you opened your center console and looked in the bottom compartment? Thats the traditional place to mount the switch (and the iPod interface and USB interface.) I put my switch in the glove box, but all my other connections are in the center console.

FWIW - I have the GW500 and BTA1500 - It works fine for Bluetooth. Can't say for music on my phone since I keep all my music on a cheap 16GB thumb-drive.. which also works fine (and will also play on any of my computers and my Sony TV..)

For the phonebook - the interface is a bit odd.. let me see if I can describe it..

First you select Phonebook - and you'll get the <ABC> <DEF> etc menu. You use the selector **** to pick the alphabetical selection you want - and press it in. That phonebook opens - but the selector bar stays on the right side menu selection. Bring it down to DIAL - press the selector **** and you can scroll through the phone book numbers. To get back to the <ABC><DEF> selection - pick the top line (which will be the alpha selection - and press DIAL. It should then move to the alpha-select menu.

At least that's how I remember it working.. the lack of a Porsche specific owners handbook is a bit annoying at times. If that doesn't work - let me know and I'll take notes while at the truck.. It's a bit cumbersome, but once you get used to it.. it's OK.

AutoToys is looking for someone to take photos of using an iPhone with the interface. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an Android and it works..

BTW - when you don't hear dialing/ringing/voices - is the PCM showing the phone as ON and paired? I found my phone has to be on (not in standby) to initially pair with the BTA1500 when I first start the truck. Once it pairs, I can put it in standby mode, and everything works fine, and I do hear dialing/ringing/and voices. It's actually quite impressive with the THC Incredible-2 - sounds as good or better then just using the phone at my ear - and the other end has no problem with echo. An earlier dumb phone I had did have bad echo problems.. apparently that's phone dependent (as is phonebook functionality.)

BTW - there are also settings you can make for the volume for the speakers and for the sensitivity of the microphone. Those are detailed on AutoToy's website and probably on the Dension support website. If you can't find them - lemme know, I have a PDF somewhere I can send you.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks Rob, I actually have that part but its not connected up to my 500 as i didn't think i needed it
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 AM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks deilenberger, I have a gateway 500 MOST and the 1500 BTA

I get your explanation about the phone menu, thx for that - i will give it a try.

The ringing does seem to work now so my only problem is getting all my music.

I can't get any track or album names no matter what i do, the display just says AUX GW and also on the display it says '1/6' so presumably it still thinks its a CD changer. If I go into CD list and select 'MENU' instead and then go into 'track list' there are some other options ".no IPOD, .no USB" etc.. but seleceting these doesn't do anything.

Should I have that little box plugged in for some reason ?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You need that switching box installed to setup the Dension configuration for either a paging mode or select mode.
Plug the selector module in and read the manual again.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
You need that switching box installed to setup the Dension configuration for either a paging mode or select mode.
Plug the selector module in and read the manual again.

Thanks. I never needed that box before when I just had my iphone linked to the 500 by cable.

I installed it nevertheless though. Switched it on an off a number of times. It doesn't appear to do a lot and I still can't access any music. The only differemnce is, if the switch is in the up position then the PCM doesn't recognise the phone at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

The switch takes the GW500 out of the loop, and leaves the MOST fiber connection as a feed-through. When it's enabled (solid DOT) - the PCM now should see the phone, music sources, etc. When it's disabled - it's as if it doesn't even exist.

You might try a USB memory stick, put some MP3's in a subdirectory on it and see if the GW500 can see it when it's connected.

In order to "correctly" use the in/out switch, after changing the position of the switch (especially to OUT of circuit to enable a CD changer - which I have) you must wait until the blue LED goes out. If you open the door, that seems to trigger the MOST bus again, and the switchover won't work. Once the LED goes completely out - restarting the engine will enable the changed "state" of the GW500. This is more important if you have a CD changer also installed.

Question - when your iPhone was connected via cable - you were able to access the music on it?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
jackal2513
Racer

yes, with my iPhone connected through the regular lead the MP3's work perfectly

but then of course the phone doesn't work
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
jackal2513
Racer

dension support also sadly appears to be next to useless

I have tried raising various 'tickets' on their support forum but no one has been boetherd to answer me

Quick Reply: Dension woes