Sponsored by:

Coolant Pipes replacement..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Pipes replacement..

finally scheduled with a local p-car dealership to have this done (next week)..
aside from making sure that this includes the t-connector, are there anything else (o-rings, etc), that i can have them to look at?

also will do a 40k service and the service guy said that i'll be able to save a couple of $$$ since some works will be overlapping - so if there are any other things that needs to be replaced (for preventive maintenance) and looked at, i'll just probably do (pay for) it too. just peace of mind. planning to have an out-of-town trip at the end of this month.

thanks a lot in advance.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a turbo, I assume, since you're having the t-pipe looked at.

How about the pressure pipe between the driver's side turbo and intercooler that weeps oil? Minor item unless if you'e not a DIYer
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

it's a turbo.. and thanks for reminding me on this.. when i had the PPI done, the shop mentioned about some excess oil in the driver side turbo.. i'll have them to check this.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change the starter
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
change the starter
Do the starters have a high failure rate in these things? I can see (maybe) if it was dumped in coolant but I wouldn't expect it to be a "while you're in there" kind of item.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my pipes were actively leaking and since they under pressure im sure they were acting like sprinklers. The valley of my motor was flooded when i opened her up. I can only assume from the proximity of the starter that it got soaked. My "customer" reported a screeching noise from the starter for a period prior to the repair which is from the coolant gettting into the starter. Its definitely a while your in there if you had coolant all over the place. If you have a lower mileage model and are doing the pipes as PM, then you can pass on the starter. I did it because i never wanted to be in there again.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

i've asked them about changing the starter - they said they'll check.. if it's good, there's no need to replace this.. if insist though, the part alone is about $700.. ended up not getting this.. but the did confirm that it's still good so nothing to worry
Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

by the way, is the t-connector automatically get replaced - like this is part of the work/upgrade? i don't see this t-connector in the invoice but they said they did replace this too.

here's the list of items:
-coolant pipe, low
-AS coolant pipe
-anti-freeze 3.7
-bushing
-hose clamp
-rubber o-ring
-sealing ring
-intake distribution g
-thermostat housing
-neck, coolant pipe
-hose, coolant pipe
-2 x fastening bracket
-rubber sealing
-(another) o-ring
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

well.. doing a search here, found these part numbers for the t-connector:955 106 323 50 and 948 106 035 51. I don't see these numbers in the list. Are there any other part numbers that may identify that the dealership have replaced these? this should be part of the kit for the turbo right?

this job is covered for the next 2 yrs.. hopefully nothing happens by then.. :-(
Old 11-13-2011, 12:38 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first part number is the rubber tee that fails in the turbos. It connects to the right-most (?) of the three aluminum pipes that you just put in. Drops back and down to the right, along the firewall. Compression bands fail and leak. Very tricky replacement job, BTW. When people say it's a bitch for the CTTs, this is why.

So the infamous "tee" that fails and leaks coolant is black, 1" rubber tubing with metal bands at the joints; but the vent line also has a little plastic white "t" connector that breaks, which leads to some confusion. I posted pics of the old crusty rubber tee in probably the "A-Z" thread, since I kept as a souvenir/medal. Ask your guy which one he replaced. And pray it was that one.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

This was my list. Note I didn't pay the $2800 there, I paid less. It was about $2450 with the PCA discount and "cash" discount.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

thanks sean.. they did (service guy) insisted that this part (although not in the invoice) got replaced because it's a turbo.. i just hope this is t-connector is part of some other part listed in the invoice (assuming that because it's a kit rather than listing all parts one-by-one).. OR here's what i'm thinking (to convince myself that all work were done properly - because the work is more of a preventive maintenance that replacing the plastic pipes because of leakage there wasn't a need to replace this???? anyways, i'll just rely on the warranty.. if it happens, then it happens.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Thanks Arnee.. it was 2,800+ with the 40k miles maintenance as well... appreciate you sharing your invoice..

Originally Posted by ArneeA
This was my list. Note I didn't pay the $2800 there, I paid less. It was about $2450 with the PCA discount and "cash" discount.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Wow.

Any reason to replace the hose clamps, or the Engine Suspension Arm? These aren't one-time use items..
Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wow.

Any reason to replace the hose clamps, or the Engine Suspension Arm? These aren't one-time use items..
I know, hose clamps, fastening brackets, bushing, engine support arm...

In fact, they put a "newer" black engine support arm. I liked the aluminum one better.

I was on the way to the indy with a burst coolant pipe but the temp was rising. Next exist was the dealer so I said screw it. I paid less, after getting 15% PCA discount and the "cash" discount. I had no time to have it towed and it's my wife's car.

I'm ok with what I paid, especially with the 2-year repair warranty from the stealer.

I told my indy about it and they said it would have been almost the same charge with them. What can one do? C'est la vie.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipes replacement..