V8 Torque Covertor Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 PM
mubull
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Torque Covertor Seal

Hi,

I discovered some leaked from this seal and wanted to replace it.

According to the mechanic, it needs a lot of job and hv to lift the engine first before can reach the torque convertor.. unlike V6.

Any advice are appreciated.. What is the best way to replace this seal.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

It requires R&R of the transmission to replace, and that is a bit of work. I don't know of anyone on the forums who have DIY.. most reports are of what it cost to have a pro do the job.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 AM
porschered951
AutoX

Had it done recently on my 04 CS. at a indy shop Cost around $1100. to replace a $50 seal. Cost is obviously in the labor to remove the transmission to get to the bell housing where the seal is at. This procedure which is still a 10 hour job does not require lifting the engine.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't looked under the Pig lately but do you have to pull the Turbos to get at the bell housing? If not then it seem like it couldn't be too bad for someone with a decent shop.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM
mubull
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It requires R&R of the transmission to replace, and that is a bit of work. I don't know of anyone on the forums who have DIY.. most reports are of what it cost to have a pro do the job.
Hi bro,

what is RnR?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
mubull
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by porschered951
Had it done recently on my 04 CS. at a indy shop Cost around $1100. to replace a $50 seal. Cost is obviously in the labor to remove the transmission to get to the bell housing where the seal is at. This procedure which is still a 10 hour job does not require lifting the engine.
The mech told me he does replacement for V6 and does not need lifting the engine but might need so for this V8.. So i am wondering what is the proper way to replace it as he required me to lift the car there for few days.

He tried actually for fews hours and this is the answer he given me
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 AM
porschered951
AutoX

The old procedure for a replacement of a torque converter seal for a V8 Cayenne requires lifting the engine and separating the transmission to unbolt the bell housing from the engine. The new procedure now does not require the engine to be lifted. This is now accomplish by using a special tool available through Porsche to reach the top bolts of the bell housing (tight fit) with the engine in. I used a independent service repair shop that used this newer procedure. Keep in mind that you are still looking at a minimum of 10 hours even with the correct tools and lift.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mubull
Hi bro,

what is RnR?
R&R = Remove and Replace
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM
mubull
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
R&R = Remove and Replace
thanks for enlighten.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 AM
mubull
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by porschered951
The old procedure for a replacement of a torque converter seal for a V8 Cayenne requires lifting the engine and separating the transmission to unbolt the bell housing from the engine. The new procedure now does not require the engine to be lifted. This is now accomplish by using a special tool available through Porsche to reach the top bolts of the bell housing (tight fit) with the engine in. I used a independent service repair shop that used this newer procedure. Keep in mind that you are still looking at a minimum of 10 hours even with the correct tools and lift.
Ic ...Thanks for the info.. Think he dun hv this special tool. Will let him know if he interested to buy tht tool, since he does service and repair lots of Posh

Quick Reply: V8 Torque Covertor Seal