Sponsored by:

Noise from wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I second the Porsche additive -- MB sells an excellent one also. I believe it is really to foam correctly for the headlight washers but it lubricates the wipers/windshield. I give it a little hit every time I run the wipers.

<snip>

And the Porsche fluid when mixed with water will not provide freeze protection -- so just like the mercedes additive -- you need to add it to windshield fluid suitable for low temps. The Porsche bottle is not clear on this point.
I stopped by the local Porsche dealer this morning to pick up the Windshield Wash Concentrate / Window Cleaner (Part No. 000-044-000-87) described in this thread and got into a discussion with the long time parts counter guy about it and now we are both somewhat uncertain about its proper use. When I mentioned someone in this thread suggested it also needs anti-freeze we got to looking at the container and it says, in essence, don't mix this with regular window cleaning solution.

He recalled (and then I did too) the 928 had a separate fluid tank for just such additives and we wondered if this is intended for the 928's two tank system rather than the Cayenne's single tank.

Can anyone shed any further light on this subject?

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

I mixed it with standard blue ($1.99/gallon at KMart) windshield washer antifreeze and it worked just fine. It also notes on the concentrate bottle if you read the tiny itty-bitty print, that it doesn't provide any freeze protection and should be used with washer antifreeze. I think what it really means with the warning is - don't use it with another cleaning solution. The blue stuff in the gallon jugs is just water, alcohol and some blue color dye. It has no real cleaning properties beyond what water does.

My experience with parts-counter-guys has been mixed. Some are pretty smart and if you throw a problem at them they'll say, "Oh, frammis has failed, you need a muffler bearing and blinker fluid.." and be correct. They learned by watching what the mechanics ask for. Other ones are not the brightest bulb in the pack and will make stuff up just to sound as if they're the first guys.. Very mixed bag asking them for advice.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I mixed it with standard blue ($1.99/gallon at KMart) windshield washer antifreeze and it worked just fine. It also notes on the concentrate bottle if you read the tiny itty-bitty print, that it doesn't provide any freeze protection and should be used with washer antifreeze. I think what it really means with the warning is - don't use it with another cleaning solution. The blue stuff in the gallon jugs is just water, alcohol and some blue color dye. It has no real cleaning properties beyond what water does.
You make some good points. It does occur to me, though, that what is in the tank now probably does contain cleaning fluid of some sort since it has a sort of foamy look when projected on to the windshield; it is whatever the dealer's staff put in when they top up the fluids. I imagine I could be double safe and drain the tank before adding the mixture you suggest but that could be real overkill, and as a Porsche owner since the sixties I resent any suggestion I am excessively compulsive.

My experience with parts-counter-guys has been mixed. Some are pretty smart and if you throw a problem at them they'll say, "Oh, frammis has failed, you need a muffler bearing and blinker fluid.." and be correct. They learned by watching what the mechanics ask for. Other ones are not the brightest bulb in the pack and will make stuff up just to sound as if they're the first guys.. Very mixed bag asking them for advice.
My experience with this individual over a number of years is that he definitely fits the first category.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM
rbaron
Racer

Update: I just looked at the concentrate bottle. I could not find any itty-bitty print about not providing any freeze protection and that it should be used with washer antifreeze. Are we talking about the same stuff?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by rbaron
Update: I just looked at the concentrate bottle. I could not find any itty-bitty print about not providing any freeze protection and that it should be used with washer antifreeze. Are we talking about the same stuff?
Yup. I walked to the garage (aka playroom) and looked at mine. You're right, doesn't say it on the bottle. Now I'll be puzzling where I did see that caviat..

Looks like the same stuff - different label: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...r%20Booster%29

Note what it says: "Eliminates wiper blade rattles and squeaks by utilizing advanced lubricants in its formula which reduce wear and tear. Can be mixed with any antifreeze washer additive. Environmentally friendly formula is biodegradable, phosphate-free, and formalin-free. Does not leave white residue on paintwork. 250ml"

Ah - found it. It's in a TSB available on RennTech. You can probably see it in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...her-fluid.html

The TSB specifically suggests using it with phosphate free antifreeze solutions for winter use.

I knew I saw it somewhere..
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM
rbaron
Racer

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like different stuff in a similar container.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Well... then do whatever you want to do. I'll continue adding it to my washer fluid. Nits have been picked as much as I can bother with.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Well... then do whatever you want to do. I'll continue adding it to my washer fluid. Nits have been picked as much as I can bother with.
Thanks!

(ad hominem response omitted.)

Quick Reply: Noise from wiper blades