Sponsored by:

Noise from wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from wiper blades

I got my 2011 CS in August and have not used the wiper until recently.

Now I found out in a heavy raining day when the wiper blades reached to the end, there was a rubbing noise which was quite loud. I only heard of such noise in my previous car when the wiper blades were obsolete / old enough for a replacement.

Did any 2011 Cayenne owners here experience similar annoying issue? I don't expect the wiper blades are now due for repalcement with only 2 months' usage.....or do the stock wiper blades really suck?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm... do a Search on "wiper blades" and report back if you have any questions.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

especially the elephant a$$.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Cayenne11DHO
Intermediate

Thanks Renn 951 for directing me to the great treasures of this forum. I really enjoyed reading all the amusing and informative discussion threads for this topic :-)

From what I read:

1) I will try using rubber protectant on the blades and hope this works

2) re: changing the angle of attack, does it mean to bend the metal arm of the wiper by lifting the arm higher (so the blade will exert less pressure on the window) OR by twisting the metal arm to make the blade pointing 90 degree to the window? Does this only work for pre-2011 Cayenne model because the design of the wiper is different.

3) to replace with new wiper blades, can you suggest which brand / model work for 2011 Cayenne model? I searched Amazon and they suggested that Borch is not compatible with 2011 model. They only suggested "Rain-X" but seems the customers feedback is not that good for this brand.

Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

I bought some windshield washer additive from SunCoast (needed to fill out an order where the shipping was costing me more then the parts..) Porsche labeled.

Works wonderfully. I had the usual shudder in the wiper near the end of travel - it's completely gone. The additive ingredients are listed as a surfactant (water-wetter sort of stuff, aka - detergent) and some other stuff including perfume (go figure..) It's called "Window Cleaner" from Tequipment..

As they used to say on the telly "It really really works.."

Wipers wipe clean, and totally silently. It's a 250mm bottle, the instructions say to add 25mm to a 2.5 liters of washer fluid. Good stuff IMHO. I had bought new blades because of the shudder, haven't felt the need to install them since I added this to the washer fluid.

BTW - rubber protectorant is a bad thing to use on washer blades. It's generally silicone based, and will smear on your windshield making it really ugly when wet.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have any noise problem on either of mine. The GTS has only ever had the reservoir re-filled in the local Porsche dealership (I've never emptied the tank in the 15000 km. service intervals). The CTT gets filled with whatever concentrate is available in the local Auto Shop and I do not notice a difference between the two.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a little trick i learned a long time ago, Trico used to insert a little packet of what they called the "blade maximizer" in every wiper package. It was nothing more than an alcohol wipe. Since then whenever the wipers get streaky, I clean the road grime off with an alcohol wipe and they are like new. I rarely buy wipers unless they rip. The last wipers I bought were the goodyear blades from Costco which mimic the armless cayenne factory blades. $7.99 each IIRC? So far they are fantastic. Bought them because they looked cool. Before those I cant tell you the last time I bought wipers.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

classic EBD
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
Don't have any noise problem on either of mine. The GTS has only ever had the reservoir re-filled in the local Porsche dealership (I've never emptied the tank in the 15000 km. service intervals). The CTT gets filled with whatever concentrate is available in the local Auto Shop and I do not notice a difference between the two.
Does it rain much in Dubai?

http://www.visit-dubai-city.com/dubai-weather.html

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/AEXX0004
Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Not a lot but it does rain....problem with fine sand though is that you have to clear it off your windscreen EVERY time you get in the car!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know the correct angle too bend the wiper arms??
Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I bought some windshield washer additive from SunCoast (needed to fill out an order where the shipping was costing me more then the parts..) Porsche labeled.

Works wonderfully. I had the usual shudder in the wiper near the end of travel - it's completely gone. The additive ingredients are listed as a surfactant (water-wetter sort of stuff, aka - detergent) and some other stuff including perfume (go figure..) It's called "Window Cleaner" from Tequipment..
If you still have the container or invoice could you please post the part number? I just looked for it on their website and couldn't find it.

Thanks!

--Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=955s_wiper
Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Excellent. Thanks!

--Bob
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I second the Porsche additive -- MB sells an excellent one also. I believe it is really to foam correctly for the headlight washers but it lubricates the wipers/windshield. I give it a little hit every time I run the wipers.

It appears that some have this problem and other don't have any idea what we are talking about. The dealer did all kinds of adjustments and replacements but I still have a bit of a problem. New wiper blades do solve the problem in my case -- so now that you can get the blade set for $30.00 I replace them two or three times a year.

I'm not sure I would try to bend the blade w/o the proper tool and guide.

And the Porsche fluid when mixed with water will not provide freeze protection -- so just like the mercedes additive -- you need to add it to windshield fluid suitable for low temps. The Porsche bottle is not clear on this point.

Quick Reply: Noise from wiper blades