Sponsored by:

Losing boost while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Losing boost while accelerating

'06 Turbo S, 23k miles. The car is losing boost when I accelerate. I give it throttle, I watch the boost gauge go up to .8, then suddenly the car hiccups, boost gauge moves around a bit and settles at .4, acceleration continues but at a slower pace. Orange engine light flickers while the boost gauge is moving around.

It seems like it's losing boost, like it can't maintain such a high bar load.

This happens at all times, whether from 0mph or 80mph. The hesitation is exacerbated in 6th gear in "manual" mode when I give it full throttle and it can't downshift.

Any ideas as to what's going on, and how I can fix this?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a misfire to me. Start with checking for fouled plugs and cracked coils.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer's diagnosis matches yours. They're replacing coils and covering labor under a kind of courtesy extension of the original warranty, but I have to pay for plugs and its labor. Also planning on having them do coolant pipes as a precautionary measure; hopefully their quote comes out to be reasonable.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM
KMCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealer sounds to be good people covering your coils out of warranty or just out of warranty. As for the labor, well it is what it is and it's expensive. You may want to arm yourself with coolant pipe info and make a fuss. You could find yourself paying only the labor for that as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always love the set labor charge for plugs, then another labor charge for coils. Like you could do the plugs without removing the coils.

Quick Reply: Losing boost while accelerating