ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BOSE and use the extra $4K for gas!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

CNet reviewer was not impressed with Burmester...

Actually, Bose sounds bad even as a home audio or headphone....

(Did you know that Bose never got "any" THX certification?)

---> Go Stock PCM!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by comis_hq

Actually, Bose sounds bad even as a home audio or headphone....
I like their Aviation Headset X, but I really have spcial feelings for their TriPort Infantry Combat Headset (TICH). The story behind Bose and TICH is fascinating.

Originally Posted by com is_hq
(Did you know that Bose never got "any" THX certification?)
No, please tell me more.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

I am beginning to like this CNet car review...

Everything is standard on this one.... even an iPad comes with it?? (Is it iPad 1 or 2?)

(But its interior looks too cheap... no comparison to S or 7...)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
I like their Aviation Headset X, but I really have spcial feelings for their TriPort Infantry Combat Headset (TICH). The story behind Bose and TICH is fascinating.

No, please tell me more.
Not much to tell about THX vs. Bose... I just heard that Dr. Bose tried very hard to get THX certification from Mr. Lucas, but got rejected every time...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Not much to tell about THX vs. Bose... I just heard that Dr. Bose tried very hard to get THX certification from Mr. Lucas, but got rejected every time...
No kidding.
May I ask who you heard this from?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

CNet reviewer was not impressed with Burmester...
The CNET reviewer was also something of a moron, getting basic information about the car incorrect. For example, at about the 4:25 mark he talks about how the 4.8L V8 has dry sump lubrication with an oil tank apart from the engine, like my 3.2 Carrera had. In fact Porsche does call the engine a dry sump design, but the reservoir is integrated within the engine as is common with current Porsche dry sump engines.

Even better, at the 1:00 mark he announces that the car is equipped with "PDCC, the full on in car electronics package". PDCC is, of course, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, the hydraulically actuated active anti-roll system, and has nothing to do with in car electronics.

Yes, quite the tech and automotive expert, he his. Anything he says should be taken with a big chunk of salt.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purple shirt -1
Use of the term blunderbuss -1
Inability to use cup-holders; hilarious.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The CNET reviewer was also something of a moron, getting basic information about the car incorrect. For example, at about the 4:25 mark he talks about how the 4.8L V8 has dry sump lubrication with an oil tank apart from the engine, like my 3.2 Carrera had. In fact Porsche does call the engine a dry sump design, but the reservoir is integrated within the engine as is common with current Porsche dry sump engines.

Even better, at the 1:00 mark he announces that the car is equipped with "PDCC, the full on in car electronics package". PDCC is, of course, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control, the hydraulically actuated active anti-roll system, and has nothing to do with in car electronics.

Yes, quite the tech and automotive expert, he his. Anything he says should be taken with a big chunk of salt.
^+1
however, I should point out that there are proper dry sump M64 GT1 derived Porsches on the road and market

996Turbo
Early 997Turbo (prior to 9A1)
996/997 GT2 and GT3
996/997 Cup Cars.
(and of course 993 and 964)

None of these have the "integrated dry sump", which is in fact a wet sump.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by WFBlue
Inability to use cup-holders; hilarious.
Yeah, his cupholder performance showed very impressive reasoning skills........
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
^+1
however, I should point out that there are proper dry sump M64 GT1 derived Porsches on the road and market

996Turbo
Early 997Turbo (prior to 9A1)
996/997 GT2 and GT3
996/997 Cup Cars.
(and of course 993 and 964)

None of these have the "integrated dry sump", which is in fact a wet sump.
I am aware of that Lewis, which is why my reference was to the fact that the integrated dry sump was "common" in current Porsche engines, not exclusive. I was focused on pointing out what a ninny the reviewer was rather than providing additional detail about sump configuration. Add to the list of proper dry sump engines, the 911's prior to the introduction of the 964 in 1989, like my '84 3.2 Carrera. Nevertheless, your reply is appreciated.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
No kidding.
May I ask who you heard this from?
From a sales person in Best Buy?

Sorry, but I mean these car reviewers cannot possibly have even near the knowledge and expertise like us who have spent Porsche Configurator for hours and hours over many, many months.... no way... unless their specialty is specifically Porsche.... they should not "not" make mistake over the acronym that only Porsche uses....

I think we should just watch the review as more or less an unbiased third person's opinion.... (Review by a Porsche expert will be biased, and they would not have tested too many other cars....)

Don't be too serious... it's just a (well... kinda expensive) truck!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Sorry, but I mean these car reviewers cannot possibly have even near the knowledge and expertise like us who have spent Porsche Configurator for hours and hours over many, many months.... no way... unless their specialty is specifically Porsche.... they should not "not" make mistake over the acronym that only Porsche uses....

I think we should just watch the review as more or less an unbiased third person's opinion.... (Review by a Porsche expert will be biased, and they would not have tested too many other cars....)

Sorry, but I disagree. If your business is reviewing products for consumers you should make sure that you know what you're talking about. It's one thing if this guy were just some schmuck off the street giving his opinion. It's something else when he works for an outfit like CNET that prides itself as "the premier destination for tech product reviews, news, price comparisons...... etc".

It's not about me being too serious, it's about getting facts straight if the reviewer, and his company, want to be taken seriously at all. That's hard to do when someone comes across simultaneously as an opinionated know-it-all (who actually doesn't) and a dufous who can't figure out how to use a cupholder without spilling his coffee.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

From a sales person in Best Buy?

I was asking who told you the story of Dr. Bose and Mr. Lucas regarding THX.

Us?
What makes you think I have spent hours and hours on the Porsche configurator? I haven't spent 30 seconds on it.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 AM
comis_hq
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
I was asking who told you the story of Dr. Bose and Mr. Lucas regarding THX.

Us?
What makes you think I have spent hours and hours on the Porsche configurator? I haven't spent 30 seconds on it.
Well, as a moderator & with 25k+ posts here, I guess you must have spent more time here then in the configurator....

BTW, I learned a lot from this forum & very thankful to all!!

Quick Reply: Burmester or Bose