Sponsored by:

Burmester or Bose

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The person who would buy a Burmeister is one who knows of the company or cares about audio ... Same as the person who would prefer PCCB vs. steel brakes.

Both are functional and more than adequate, but it is personal preference.
Agreed. Nothing wrong with buying either Burmester or PCCB's if that's what you want. I've been an audiophile for 40 years but I've got a practical side and couldn't make myself pull the trigger on spending that much for a car stereo. Now for home gear, auditioned in a proper listening environment, that's a different story.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agreed. Nothing wrong with buying either Burmester or PCCB's if that's what you want. I've been an audiophile for 40 years but I've got a practical side and couldn't make myself pull the trigger on spending that much for a car stereo. Now for home gear, auditioned in a proper listening environment, that's a different story.
+1 on that!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, it is simply offering the customer a very high gross profit margin option, to the benefit if the car company ($) and the customer, both get what they want.

As Larry argued time and time again, no one walks into a car showroom and walks out because their preferred xar does not offer THEIR choice of premium branded audio...just doesn't happen.
They are offered Base level, which is purposely designed to be sub optimal and cheap and a premium option, which has fewer restrictions...more speakers, etc...

It is designed and controlled by the car companies marketing departments, not the engineering departments.

Besides, not even the Burmeister will sound good while you are wearing your mandatory plain brown paper bag over your head to hide your face while driving a P!g in public.

As for home, I prefer electrostatic headphones over open space speakers.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Clearly it's true what they say about great minds think alike Pops
Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Again, it is simply offering the customer a very high gross profit margin option, to the benefit if the car company ($) and the customer, both get what they want.

As Larry argued time and time again, no one walks into a car showroom and walks out because their preferred xar does not offer THEIR choice of premium branded audio...just doesn't happen.
They are offered Base level, which is purposely designed to be sub optimal and cheap and a premium option, which has fewer restrictions...more speakers, etc...

It is designed and controlled by the car companies marketing departments, not the engineering departments.

Besides, not even the Burmeister will sound good while you are wearing your mandatory plain brown paper bag over your head to hide your face while driving a P!g in public.

And again Lewis, I don't disagree. I understand perfectly well why Porsche offers high margin options and why people buy them. Each consumer makes a value judgement re: their purchases and I made mine, which BTW was not based just on the cost of the Burmester or PCCB's or whatever. Besides, as you point out, paper bags muddy the sound anyway.

As to headphones vs. speakers both have their proponents and advantages. There are a couple of things in particular that make me favor speakers over headphones. Headphones make the music happen inside my head rather than a soundstage in front of me. Also while some headphones offer good bass, it's not bass you can feel. As good as headphones can sound these things make open air speakers a more realistic listening experience for me. YM(and Pop's)MV.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

There is NOTHING like dancing in headphones.

For those who are looking at you from the side, that is

Last edited by EnigmaWmn; 07-03-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Too damn hot here :-D
Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
There is NOTHING like dancing in headphones.
Ok, now that makes a lot more sense than "dancing in speakers". I thought, does Pops have really big speakers, or some kind of cool speaker outfit, or.................
Old 07-03-2011, 11:21 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Ok, now that makes a lot more sense than "dancing in speakers". I thought, does Pops have really big speakers, or some kind of cool speaker outfit, or.................
Considering the car that attracts the most ladies (aka Pa na me rrr a) will do that to you
Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Considering the car that attracts the most ladies (aka Pa na me rrr a) will do that to you
Pops,
Be careful
If you the name of that car 3 times, you know who/what you will turn into

After further reflection, that car reminds me of Kim Kardashian. Nice front, but the rear ...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Pops,
Be careful
If you the name of that car 3 times, you know who/what you will turn into

After further reflection, that car reminds me of Kim Kardashian. Nice front, but the rear ...
I'll turn into Kim K?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'll turn into Kim K?
Only if you buy that swollen tick with the Porsche crest ...

Remember, Larry had "friends" in low places ... If you even go to a dealer and configure one, he'll know.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All Porsches are ugly, some are uglier than others.

....but that's not what it's all about.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Only if you buy that swollen tick with the Porsche crest ...

Remember, Larry had "friends" in low places ... If you even go to a dealer and configure one, he'll know.
I was on my way to the dealer when I read this. Had to turn around immediately. I am NOT about to mess with the dead
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And you're one of the few on Larry's "good side"

Quick Reply: Burmester or Bose