Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have your plastic cooling pipes failed - and what engine do you have?
I have a normally aspirated V8 and my pipes failed
20.63%
I have a normally aspirated V8 and my pipes HAVEN'T failed
34.92%
I have a Twin-Turbo V8 and my pipes failed
15.87%
I have a Twin-Turbo V8 and my pipes HAVEN'T failed
28.57%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

POLL - more on Plastic Cooling Pipes ('04-'06 Cayenne V8's)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Turbo
67192 miles when my '06 CTT burst its pipes. I was going DIY my pipes before the tragedy, but I figured in order to be reimbursed by Porsche if and when the class action lawsuit happens, I would have to get it done by a Porsche shop/tech.
That's probably not actually a concern. There was a recent class-action lawsuit settled by BMW for suspension weaknesses in BMW M3's (aka "subframe mount failures") - and the people who did the work themselves, or had it done by an independent, or even had reinforcement done to prevent the problem from happening were all paid by BMW upon presentation of proof (ie - bills) the work was done. It was not restricted to only cars repaired at a BMW dealership.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

I believe that Porsche required the work to be done at a Porsche dealer in order to get the reimbursement for coil replacement. I would expect them to follow the same logic if they ever address the coolant pipes.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Porsche wasn't facing a class-action lawsuit on the coils - it's a different story when a judge suggests what the settlement will be. He generally favors the claimants. And at the least - Porsche would be liable for the parts cost IMHO.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Did the job today with my friendly independent (I hold the light, hand tools, pull on things when needed...)

This is a fairly awful job. Unless you're a dedicated DIYer - I'd look for some professional assistance. Biggest ugliest part of the job is getting the old big pipe out. That alone took about 3 hours. The rest of the job isn't awful - just a lot of dissembling and reassembling.

Did find enough corrosion on the openings where the new pipes go to see that the primary O ring had allowed some coolant past, and it was just the secondary ones that were preventing leaks. There were no leaks, which was a good thing, and the pipes actually weren't at all brittle (actually they appeared just fine..)

Because of the corrosion (which we cleaned up as best we could with sandpaper) we used RTV sealant on all the fittings as we reassembled except the short rubber tube that seals the two halves of the big pipe - that got the Porsche magic $25 grease. It's sitting overnight to let the RTV set up and will be pressurized and finished filling it in the AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Did the job today with my friendly independent (I hold the light, hand tools, pull on things when needed...)

This is a fairly awful job. Unless you're a dedicated DIYer - I'd look for some professional assistance. Biggest ugliest part of the job is getting the old big pipe out. That alone took about 3 hours. The rest of the job isn't awful - just a lot of dissembling and reassembling.

Did find enough corrosion on the openings where the new pipes go to see that the primary O ring had allowed some coolant past, and it was just the secondary ones that were preventing leaks. There were no leaks, which was a good thing, and the pipes actually weren't at all brittle (actually they appeared just fine..)

Because of the corrosion (which we cleaned up as best we could with sandpaper) we used RTV sealant on all the fittings as we reassembled except the short rubber tube that seals the two halves of the big pipe - that got the Porsche magic $25 grease. It's sitting overnight to let the RTV set up and will be pressurized and finished filling it in the AM.

Nice! BTW, how did you guys do this? I meant did you guys just start tearing apart? or had some information or DIY reference to guide you through?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

There are a number of DIY's floating around on doing the job..

This one is good (but lacking photos - I may be adding some to it..)

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-instructions/

You can likely find some others with a bit of searching on the better Cayenne forums.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
pcst
Racer

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

`05 49k no coolant pipe faiure yet...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Did a prophylactic cooling pipe replacement last Thursday. Old pipes looked fine, no leaks.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger

Did mine last year. (not by choice). Took about 6 hours of labor at a VERY casual rate. Worked on it after work one night for a few hours and then finished it up the next night.

Surprised it took your tech so long to get the old pipe out. Didn't he just cut it with a hack saw and yank out the left over pieces?

Nothing really "complicated" about the job. Just take it one step at a time for those that want to do it.

Nothing like having your neigbors over to look at your Porsche taken apart in the garage
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The large pipe ends didn't want to yank out. I suspect the ease of removal depends on how petrified the O rings are. The thick stainless reinforcing ring is really what has to be removed. Once that's out, its not that hard to deform the plastic shell remaining so you can pull it out.

Here's what the end that came out of the thermostat housing looked like:

From thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-instructions/ (and I added a number of photos..)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
pcst
Racer

OMG, deilenberger you are the man! Thank you!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM
cayenne11
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 Cayenne S, pipes just failed at under 38,000 miles!

It's unbelievable that Porsche do not consider this to be a design issue considering I have been told by Customer Services that these pipes were failing ALL the time in the Middle East and this is why they replaced them.

Clearly the above demonstrates it is a design issue and their customers shouldn't therefore have to pay for their shoddy mistakes.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
Nice! BTW, how did you guys do this? I meant did you guys just start tearing apart? or had some information or DIY reference to guide you through?
The top-most stickied thread, "Coolant pipes A-Z.", has virtually everything you'll need, including a bunch of DIY field reports. Great advice on required tools, techniques, how to get the hard pieces in or out, etc. The noise-to-signal ratio is probably 10:1, but an hour's read will give you all you need to know to tackle the job.

Plus there are some actual Porsche technicians on these boards that have done these operations repeatedly. I got a good PM tip from one on the T-pipes on a turbo.

Best.

Quick Reply: POLL - more on Plastic Cooling Pipes ('04-'06 Cayenne V8's)