Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayenne base v6 vs Range Rover Sports HSE what would you guys choose!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
khjunee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayenne base v6 vs Range Rover Sports HSE what would you guys choose!??

I am concerning these two SUVs and can't decide..

I hate RRS's bad fuel economy but like the exterior more than cayenne..

I don't need power for SUV

help me with choosing one!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's what I never liked about the RRS, how much more cramped it is compared to the Range Rover. Up until the new Cayenne came out I always thought the Range Rover had the best interior. Beautiful and spacious. I love the exterior of the RRS and was really excited when it came out but it just felt so tight inside compared to the RR.

I do love Land Rovers though. I've had three including a 92 RR I have now. I was actually considering a used 2007 RR when I shopped for my Cayenne. But I just wasn't ready to deal with another oddball electrical issue that may or may not come up. I also had such a good experience with my Cayman which sold me on getting another Porsche. The fact that Tata re-did the electricals when they took over and the writers were reporting oddball electrical issues on their press cars didn't help.

Last edited by daddyscar; 05-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 201 Posts

I think if you're looking to be swayed towards the RRS, you came to the wrong place.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Dax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had this dilemma when looking for an SUV... I live in the UK and going by reliability reports, ownership experiences and then finally driving both cars, I chose the Cayenne.

The RRS does feel cramped inside and the interior, especially centre console etc. is very cheap looking and known to rattle.

This together with the fact that my Cayenne was approximately £4000 or $6000 cheaper than a comparable RRS, re-inforced my choice.

Also, there are a lot less of them on the road in the UK, and as I was originally looking for a 997, I still got a Porsche, although it was a compromise....

The known issues with the Cayenne most people know about, ie. Coils, Cardan Shaft & Coolant pipes, RRS seem to have many electrical and suspension problems over here...

As an aside, at the same time that I bought my car, a friend bought a RRS HST which is 18 months younger than my Cayenne but cost £20K or $32K more....

He is currently looking to sell his car and wanting a Cayenne.... His car has been back at the Dealer 5 times in 6 months and has left his partner & new baby stranded twice... He has now lost all faith in his RRS, another reason he wants to change....

Good luck with whatever you decide....
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 451 Posts

If you like the exterior of the Rover more, then I certainly can't help you. One of the things I love about the Cayenne is that it doesn't look like a truck - which is to say: every other SUV on the road. The Cayenne looks like a sports car on steroids. The RRS is a typical Rover product: a shoebox on wheels.

Pass...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by khjunee
I am concerning these two SUVs and can't decide..
Short Term Lease with full warranty and intentions to give the keys back after the lease = Range hands down

Purchase or Lease w/buyback = Cayenne V6
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the only thing you don't like about the RRS is its fuel consumption and especially since you like its exterior more than Cayenne's, I think the choice is definitely clear - RRS
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the RRS in the past, it is a very plush comfortable ride...and power was better... that was 2005. The first round of Cayenne was way under powered for me. Not sure about now. I am 100% sure the cayenne is more reliable and handles better than the RRS. We have a Turbo which took care of the power issue.
If you get the RRS, make sure they have a free loaner program and expect to use it.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

OP states "I don't need power for SUV".
Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a GTS manual and now have an RRS S\C, and my wife drives a RR. I sold the GTS, as my commute changed and included driving (sitting) on the I80 through Berkeley, which got really old with a heavy clutch and 4:10 rear axle.

I'm over 6'3", and I had a couple inches of headroom in the GTS and the 2011 Cayenne, but my head is firmly into the headliner in the RRS. If you are over 5'10" you effectively cannot put down the rear seat, so take that into consideration.

The Cayenne has much greater on-road capabilities, the RRS has better off-road capabilities. The RRS is a great drive, but it loses composure when driven hard.

Were I to do it again, I would have traded the Manual GTS for an automatic GTS - trasyberria (sp?), or S with the air suspension, and used my wife's RR for off-road duties.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

leather is nicer on RR,

i love my base however.. good mileage, drives great and has plenty of power for downtown.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm currently driving a loaner 2010 Cayenne V6 and found it to be totally adequate for daily use, good pickup speed, sounds good too. Make sure to push the sport button all the time though.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I think if you're looking to be swayed towards the RRS, you came to the wrong place.
+1
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Log on to Gasbuddy.com and go with the Range.......economics is not the factor in these machines, usually aesthetics
Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you stand with 1990s interior of RRS?

They need to do something with interior....

Quick Reply: cayenne base v6 vs Range Rover Sports HSE what would you guys choose!??