Sponsored by:

2011 side marker swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2011 side marker swap

I was going to replace the yellow side makers with clear (Preeble's look sweet on silver). Do you have to go through the fender well and remove the liner to get behind them or can they be removed from the outside?

Last edited by Blaine S; 03-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I did the swap a few weeks back, and yes, you have to get behind the wheel liner. You only have to remove the 2 screws as indicated in the owner's manual. Then, use a flat head screwdriver to release the safety clip and pry out the side marker at the same time. It takes a good amount of force, and a flashlight helps so you can see where to put the screwdriver.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
bkcarrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I provided my dealer a pair to install before we picked the truck up. I had read here about the work involved.
The service contact said he installed them and did it without getting in behind the fender. I don't have the yellow ones so I don't know if he bent the clips in doing so.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually removed 3 of the screws and it made it a little easier for me (I went one screw lower). I had a similar experience to other posts here and on other forums - the light takes a fair amount of force to remove and to figure it out (making sure that you don't break any of the pieces) it could take 20-30 minutes for the first one. The second one is much easier and it takes longer to unscrew/screw back in the liner than it does to muscle the lens housing out.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Thanks slwong, Bob and Preeble. This will help a lot. I have to get the bulbs next, the markers don't with them.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw, i bought my markers through suncoast - the bulbs came with them.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Someone else said they had their side markers swapped out by the dealer without getting behind the wheel housing, so it sounds like it's possible with the right tools.

Blaine- below are the bulbs I purchased, they're silver bulbs that glow amber. I also purchased a set from Pelican Parts if you prefer the amber colored bulbs.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=480762_0_0_
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

If I'm interpreting the part information correctly from the previous post, the "T13 & 921 Miniature Wedge Base bulbs" here should fit.

Has anyone tried LED bulbs?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
If I'm interpreting the part information correctly from the previous post, the "T13 & 921 Miniature Wedge Base bulbs" here should fit.

Has anyone tried LED bulbs?
"!"
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
"!"
Right. I caught a whiff of that on 6speed. Someone suggested wiring in resistors to fool the computer. I think I'll just take the easy route and stick with bulbs.

TYVM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Thanks slwong - bulbs ordered, hopefully will be here by the weekend.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
nedino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the swap this past weekend and thought I could contribute to this threat with some comments. I also went one exta screw on the liner (removing three screws in total), but I went one screw up (unlike Preeble who went one screw lower). I had all the tools and a flashlight, but actually used my hands only.

Once the liner is out of the way (it takes some time to get it out from under the wheel flares, as it is tucked in very tightly - I used a screwdriver inserted in one of the screw holes) with one hand, using your index finger, press the release clip (locate it first on the back of the side marker you are about to install to facilitate your search) and keep it pressed in the direction of the headlight. With your other hand, trace the wire and push the back of the bulb housing. It may take a few trials and you might have to alternate between pushing the bulb housing from behind and then pulling the side marker from the outside (while keeping the release clip pressed). Patience is key. As already noted, once you do the first one (~20-30 minutes), the second one goes really fast. Also of note, the driver side marker came out much easier (with significantly less pushing/pulling) than the passenger side one.

I ordered my side markers from suncoast too (I am not affiliated with them) and they came without the bulbs. I had a set of chrome bulbs from the 911 which I used .

I would gladly help a fellow rennlist member (Queens, NY) with the swap.

Last edited by nedino; 03-02-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added bulbs commentary
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Blaine- how did the swap go?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
carreragttech
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ON the new bodystyle Cayenne the side maker lights are held in by two clips. With a plastic wedge you can go between the fender and the top of the light and pop it Right out!!!!It takes a little force but it will pop out! There are also 2 side light available in clear a bigger one for when you have the offroad flares and a normal one. The offroad flare one sticks out slightly and I feel looks better on all trucks . Have done many of these takes about a minute a side just be firm the clips hold the pins on the lights in good!

Last edited by carreragttech; 03-06-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by carreragttech
ON the new bodystyle Cayenne the side maker lights are held in by two clips. With a plastic wedge you can go between the fender and the top of the light and pop it Right out!!!!It takes a little force but it will pop out! There are also 2 side light available in clear a bigger one for when you have the offroad flares and a normal one. The offroad flare one sticks out slightly and I feel looks better on all trucks . Have done many of these takes about a minute a side just be firm the clips hold the pins on the lights in good!
I ordered from suncoast and mine came with a large clear that was clearly much bigger than the stock orange side marker. I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions of clear sizes. Did everyone who ordered from suncoast get the larger one?

Quick Reply: 2011 side marker swap