Sponsored by:

2011 side marker swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by carreragttech
There are also 2 side light available in clear a bigger one for when you have the offroad flares and a normal one. The offroad flare one sticks out slightly and I feel looks better on all trucks .
Originally Posted by Aperture776
I ordered from suncoast and mine came with a large clear that was clearly much bigger than the stock orange side marker. I wasn't aware that there were 2 versions of clear sizes. Did everyone who ordered from suncoast get the larger one?
Now you've got me wondering which ones I have. I purchased my clear markers from Suncoast (they came with bulbs) but since I don't have my CS yet I don't have anything to compare with. The part #'s (left and right) on the ones I received are:

958 831 101 10
958 831 102 10

Can you tell which ones they are from these pics?
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Now you've got me wondering which ones I have. I purchased my clear markers from Suncoast (they came with bulbs) but since I don't have my CS yet I don't have anything to compare with. The part #'s (left and right) on the ones I received are:

958 831 101 10
958 831 102 10

Can you tell which ones they are from these pics?
Looks like mine. Those are bigger than the stock orange side markers.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Did you have to specify whether you had the wheel arches or not? I think I did, but can't quite remember as I ordered some time ago. Mine were the same exact size as the amber lenses that came with the car.

Mike- my part numbers read 631 as opposed to 831, the rest are the same. Maybe you have the larger ones?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

I didn't tell them I ha wheel arches but they gave me the larger ones. I think I'm going to return them and get the smaller ones.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slwong23
Did you have to specify whether you had the wheel arches or not? I think I did, but can't quite remember as I ordered some time ago. Mine were the same exact size as the amber lenses that came with the car.

Mike- my part numbers read 631 as opposed to 831, the rest are the same. Maybe you have the larger ones?
Ok, I'm an idiot, no other explanation. In the half-light of my computer room I misread the part number. A 6 looked like an 8; the actual part numbers of my side markers are 958-631-102-10 and 958-631-101-10. I guess that means I have the same clear markers as you and they should match the ones that are coming on the car. Right?

I didn't tell them I ha wheel arches but they gave me the larger ones. I think I'm going to return them and get the smaller ones.
OTOH, Appeture, you say they look like yours and yours are bigger than the stock ones. What is your part number? (hopefully you're better at reading them than I apparently am).....
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Ok, I'm an idiot, no other explanation. In the half-light of my computer room I misread the part number. A 6 looked like an 8; the actual part numbers of my side markers are 958-631-102-10 and 958-631-101-10. I guess that means I have the same clear markers as you and they should match the ones that are coming on the car. Right?

OTOH, Appeture, you say they look like yours and yours are bigger than the stock ones. What is your part number? (hopefully you're better at reading them than I apparently am).....
Mine is 631 also. Maybe suncoast isn't aware that there are 2 different sizes. U ordered it straight from there website and there was no option to indicate the size or whether I have extended wheel arches.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mine is 631 also. Maybe suncoast isn't aware that there are 2 different sizes. U ordered it straight from there website and there was no option to indicate the size or whether I have extended wheel arches.
I actually needed to speak to a rep about something else so I called them direct. I don't recall specifying wheel arch size or being asked about them. The part number on my Suncoast invoice matches the part number on the box from Porsche. If there are two different sizes you'd think Porsche would have to have two different part numbers, otherwise inventory management would be impossible. Yet slwong23 says he has the 631's and they are the exact same size as the ones he personally changed out, and you have 631's and say they are bigger than the stock markers. Very curious.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - I just went out and looked at mine and they are larger than the yellow ones - also ordered from Suncoast - I do not recall seeing different options for the part. Does anyone have the smaller clear markers?

I kind of noticed the larger size when I put them on, but I didn't think anything of it. I don' mind the bigger - they are more aggressive looking.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Mike- my part numbers are the same as yours then. I just pulled the amber lenses out of the box and they appear to be the same size as the clear lenses in the car. Tough to tell exactly, but they do also look like the lenses in the pics you posted.

Odd that they would make two different sizes? This thread is the first I've heard of it, and if they do indeed make two different sizes, doesn't seem like a very efficient way to do things. I just tried adding the side markers a cart on Suncoast, they're the same part numbers for a C, CS, or CT, which suggests they are all the same? I double checked my invoice, mine came from Sunset.

Attached are some photos. I tried to take a couple from an angle so you can see how far they come out. Sorry for the quality, taken w the bberry in my garage.
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Hmmm slwong23. It's still really hard to tell from your pics. The ones I got from sunset definitely protrude out more than the amber ones. I assumed that the clears were just designed that way. I'll try to take pics of both amber and clear side by side.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slwong23
Mike- my part numbers are the same as yours then. I just pulled the amber lenses out of the box and they appear to be the same size as the clear lenses in the car. Tough to tell exactly, but they do also look like the lenses in the pics you posted.

Odd that they would make two different sizes? This thread is the first I've heard of it, and if they do indeed make two different sizes, doesn't seem like a very efficient way to do things. I just tried adding the side markers a cart on Suncoast, they're the same part numbers for a C, CS, or CT, which suggests they are all the same? I double checked my invoice, mine came from Sunset.
Attached are some photos. I tried to take a couple from an angle so you can see how far they come out. Sorry for the quality, taken w the bberry in my garage.
Thanks for the pics. They look similar, and I've got to believe if they have the same part # they're the same piece. It does seem strange they would have two sizes and even more strange that if they did, they would have the same part #. BTW, love your garage floor!

Hmmm slwong23. It's still really hard to tell from your pics. The ones I got from sunset definitely protrude out more than the amber ones. I assumed that the clears were just designed that way. I'll try to take pics of both amber and clear side by side.
Cool. Maybe that will resolve this issue.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Sorry, the Bberry prob doesn't give the best perspective- interested in seeing yours side by side pics. I prob was enjoying a beer or two while installing, but I'd be surprised if I didn't notice a difference between the clear/amber lenses during the process.

BTW, love your garage floor!
Ha- thx! Glad the epoxy is holding up, we're coming up on our 4th year in this house. The company that did the job is no longer around, which isn't a huge surprise. We also just hosed down our garage on Saturday, good timing for the pics.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Aperture776
Instructor

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the crappy pics they're from my iPhone. You can see the difference between the 2.

And I just double checked the box with the item# on them. They are exactly the item # that everyone else posted so far. I don't understand why Porsche would have the same item#'s if there are 2 different types unless they updated the clears to the larger ones. Just for reference, I just received my clears about 2 weeks ago.

As you can see from the bottom pic, mine looks exactly like mike's.
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

does the turbo have diff fenders?

the $990 flared fenders dont go that far up to even be close to the lights as far as i recall.

very interesting.... im glad i like the orange ones.. cross that, love the orange ones!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Wow, very obvious by that picture. I certainly would have noticed if my clear and amber lenses were that different in size. For my own sanity, I just double checked again, and my two are definitely the same size. Bizarre. I ordered in late Nov and they arrived early/mid Dec.

Quick Reply: 2011 side marker swap