Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The Cayenne was/is always a Volkswagen more than a Porsche (both by labor and parts content).
Cause Porsche is the true definition of insanity. "Building the same car over and over and over agian and expecting a different result"

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s"

....calls VW...."HELP!"

.....Builds 914.....MAKES MONEY

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s"

....calls VW...."HELP!"

....Builds 924.....MAKES MONEY

....Builds 928....MAKES MONEY!

...Redesigns 924 into 944.....MAKES MONEY...

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s."

Blends 914 idea with 911 to come up with Boxter.....Makes money

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s."

Calls VW...."Help"

Comes out with Cayenne. (Which according to the literature is more Porsche than VW. I tend to believe that more than you unless you can come up with some sort of documentation). MAKES MONEY!!!!

....and that silly 911 is still just a VW from day 1 so who cares
Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Cause Porsche is the true definition of insanity. "Building the same car over and over and over agian and expecting a different result"

....calls VW...."HELP!"

.....Builds 914.....MAKES MONEY

....calls VW...."HELP!"

....Builds 924.....MAKES MONEY

....Builds 928....MAKES MONEY!

...Redesigns 924 into 944.....MAKES MONEY...

Blends 914 idea with 911 to come up with Boxter.....Makes money

Calls VW...."Help"

Comes out with Cayenne. (Which according to the literature is more Porsche than VW. I tend to believe that more than you unless you can come up with some sort of documentation). MAKES MONEY!!!!

I laughed
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Enjoyed your post but the part above is a commonly stated misconception, an attempted putdown by some, and is incorrect. Sure, the very first Porsches borrowed a lot from VW due to Ferdinand and Ferry's ties to that company and the need to use available resources in building a new sports car in Germany's post war environment. But over the course of the next 15 years, through the development of the many 356 and other models, virtually every original VW based part was completely re-engineered and replaced.

By the time the 911 debuted the only thing it had in common with VW was the fact that it was rear engined and air cooled. If that's the criteria for being the same, then I guess the Mustang is really a model T because they both have a front engine and water cooling.

Guess I just reacted to your comment because I'm in the middle of Excellence Was Expected, the 3 volume history of Porsche. An excellent read for any Porschephile or someone who enjoys reading about automotive history.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Enjoyed your post but the part above is a commonly stated misconception, an attempted putdown by some, and is incorrect. Sure, the very first Porsches borrowed a lot from VW due to Ferdinand and Ferry's ties to that company and the need to use available resources in building a new sports car in Germany's post war environment. But over the course of the next 15 years, through the development of the many 356 and other models, virtually every original VW based part was completely re-engineered and replaced.

By the time the 911 debuted the only thing it had in common with VW was the fact that it was rear engined and air cooled. If that's the criteria for being the same, then I guess the Mustang is really a model T because they both have a front engine and water cooling.

Guess I just reacted to your comment because I'm in the middle of Excellence Was Expected, the 3 volume history of Porsche. An excellent read for any Porschephile or someone who enjoys reading about automotive history.

Evolution, DNA, not innovation. The 911 evolved from the seeds of it's parents, VW.

Had nothing to do with sharing part numbers.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Evolution, DNA, not innovation. The 911 evolved from the seeds of it's parents, VW.

Had nothing to do with sharing part numbers.
Sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not talking about sharing parts numbers, I'm talking about new engineering solutions for engine design, suspension, transmission, etc. Aside from air-cooling and rear engine placement, and some of the packaging demanded by that layout, the 911 had nothing of consequence in common with the VW Beetle.

There are a limited number of possible engine/drivetrain layouts for ICE's. You could just as easily say that every car designed in the last half century was not innovative but instead "evolved from the seeds of it's parents" or someone elses design. And it would be just as misleading and incorrect as saying the 911 simply evolved from the VW. Again, you should read Excellence Was Expected, the definitive history on the subject. Highly recommended.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford

Yeah....looks like it was clean sheet thinking and not evolution to me
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yeah....looks like it was clean sheet thinking and not evolution to me
Your quote was "and that silly 911 is still just a VW from day 1 so who cares". That statement is simplistic and wrong. I pointed to an authoritative source that presents the issue in detail, but clearly you don't need to be confused by facts; your mind is made up. But hey, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Cole
Drifting

Kinda missed the humor in the whole thing didn't ya?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Oh, I don't think so. Anyway, no hard feelings.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who made the worse financial decision? The guy that buys a $25,000 Cayenne and drives it for 100k having to put $5-8k into it in repairs? Or the guy that paid $100k for it new and sold it with 50k on it for $25k(or less for the trade in).....but thinks he made the bet deal because he had a warranty
I, for one, would like to thank the thousands of you who paid roughly $100K for their new Cayenne, so that someone like me could take the headache off your hands for a fraction of that.

Originally Posted by tonga3
They really are not to bad to work on as far as general maintenance goes, I bought myself the Durametric software and a set of E-torx bits and a complete manual and did most things myself. Can be a great experience, I'm just sharing mine.
+1. And I'm no mechanic. Speaking of which, I bet there's a DIY on dropping your transmission and replacing the valve body out here somewhere...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I honestly think this is part of the issue. Poeple will run an american car to the ground and not thinkn anything of it. It can rattle, clank, pull to the left, stop like an oil tanker, turn like barge and they just don't care becaue that is what they "expect" from it.

All of the sudden when they buy a Porsche they expect a magical experience, especially if they bought one at new or near new prices. Every little problem now seems ten times bigger.

Repairs they would have DIY on another car they don't even attemp on the Porsche out of some mysterious fear.

Sure, some parts cost more, a lot more. But honestly some are actually cheaper than other brands.

EVERY car is going to have owners with random failures like a lifter. (i've lost a lifter on my 951, my Nissan truck, 67 Camaro, Chevy truck,) not like this is a Porsche only thing.

I see the list of issues on these things as pretty limited compared to many cars and worth dealing with for the bargain prices you can buy them for, for such a great suv.

Who made the worse financial decision? The guy that buys a $25,000 Cayenne and drives it for 100k having to put $5-8k into it in repairs?

Or the guy that paid $100k for it new and sold it with 50k on it for $25k(or less for the trade in).....but thinks he made the bet deal because he had a warranty
All the examples you provide for comparison are less expensive purchases, or way less to maintain-So sure-people will be less reluctant to run a cheaper vehicle into the ground and worry about parts, etc. The purchase stress (or fear of $$$ maintenance) with an expensive vehicle, even a high mileage one is totally different. Further, there are far fewer places to shop around for parts or repairs with these vehicles than say the Nissan truck that you use for example.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do some forum posters get so personal or make assumptions about others as if anointed the enlightened one.

Were just trying to help a poster by pointing out that the Cayenne has some issues that are unfortunately expensive to remedy and to purchase wisely.

Some people like to purchase new and others like or need to purchase pre-owned. Some pay cash and some finance. It's all fine -- and no one is correct.

Quick Reply: You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...