Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There is something humorous about someone who keeps coming back to complain about people complaining, especially after he says all the complaining is why he no longer posts here.

That kind of compulsive behavior is going to cause chafing soon...
"Just call me Bejebus"?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I stopped by my dealer/mechanic and they think they can find me a mechanically sound '05 V6 with 50k or so on the clock at auction in the low to mid $20k region. He thinks he can do the same for an '04 V8 with 60k-70k on it.

At this point, I'm more inclined to go for the V6 than the V8.

Putting $5k into repairing a car over the life of the car is to be expected. Heck, I put more than that into my SHO in putting 170k on it. But I don't want to put $5k in every year...
Up your neck of the woods i would go V8
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Ask your dealer for a CPO P!g and offer to pay for it as part of the purchase price....and if he says no, ask him why.
The CPO is well worth it...that us fact, not opinion. CPO is much better than self insuring.
+1
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say look for the 06 since it's the last of the 955.. i'm scared too when i took the plunge some 3 months ago.. all vehicles will have their issues.. i've researched and read enough in forums but evidently the "dream" of driving the best SUV (in my opinion) in the market (performance-wise) still won.. i'm in a tight budget, i can't afford a new cayenne hence i waited 4 years before the prices went down.. i'm saving to replace the plastic coolant pipes.. i guess, be pro-active for known issues as listed.. not cheap, but saves you money if can have these replaced/done before it get worse.. having a trusted mechanic is a plus since you know you won't be raped in labor.. this form is good in advising where to buy/source out porsche parts...

good luck
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One important fact to keep in mind is that most used Cayennes will have had a lot of these issues repaired under warranty already.

Also remember that we have a larger percentage of problem cars on this board than in the real world. Most cayennes run just fine. Mine currently has 70K and I'm still on my original battery, just changed my rotors, and have had no other BIG issues.

If you have to take the car to a mechanic for oil and brakes it isn't cheap. But you can DIY both maint. and known issues at a fraction of the price.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
"Just call me Bejebus"?
Your Delta Tau Chi name is... Bejebus.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

120k miles when I traded my '06 for an '11.... Very few issues to speak of...Went 70K mile w/o a warranty and did spend a dime except on consumables...
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I become CPOless in May...

As for negativity, is it not reasonable to blow off steam or have a certain expectation of a very expensive truck to have reliable replacement parts or upgrade kits to fix common or known problems? Holy Bejebus
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
120k miles when I traded my '06 for an '11.... Very few issues to speak of...Went 70K mile w/o a warranty and did spend a dime except on consumables...
And how much did they give you in trade-in value for that thing?? You do not need to answer...

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
I become CPOless in May...

As for negativity, is it not reasonable to blow off steam or have a certain expectation of a very expensive truck to have reliable replacement parts or upgrade kits to fix common or known problems? Holy Bejebus
..esp when you have issues like coil packs where Porsche won't honor their "2 yr. replacement parts warranty" because they've now "improved" them again!

Or the coolant tube issue, continuing to use parts they knew would fail in their new build cars because they had to use up stock.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Not to mention a worthless horn
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

shawn, v6 will get you in the door. and at the 20k level.

I have had mine for 100k plus.......cardan shaft will come at you, but you can bypass that with some decent knowledge, like offroad shops can fix for 150 bucks.

My 6er still eats tires, oil, and premium gas on par with its V8 brethern......

It should be a point and shoot model in those terms of maintenance and expected repairs.

v8s are the typical replies/entries you have seen before for new and preowned buyers.

If you can follow simple instructions and have jacks and minimal tools, you should be fine on normal repairs like brakes and oil changes.

I have gone to some extremes to even cut costs on tires and oil changes when my job disapperead 2 years ago......Id be willing to ramble even more in a private pm or on here.....
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
I have gone to some extremes to even cut costs on tires and oil changes when my job disapperead 2 years ago......Id be willing to ramble even more in a private pm or on here.....
Do ramble here...!

Shawn - first, learn to spell your first name correctly. Then, buy the Cayenne! As much engine as you can squeeze out of your budget.

You may get lucky, or you may be a regular on here. In which case counselors are standing by...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Ok, I was still employed but not making any money for almost 2 years until about 6 months ago

Here is what i did.

1. bought every part from suncoast ahead of time. I still keep a stash at the house of pads, hardware, sensors, rotors, oil filters, etc and I did it slowly over time. If you go to your dealer too on the pollen filter and air filters usually they will charge you their at cost dealer price and not their "installed" price I found out recently. I have seen the menu for the filters prices and they asked me, are you doing the install or are we? May help on shipping costs when you get caught with your pants down.

2. Mobil 1 0W-40 Oil, bought it whenever I could find a sale or decent price at walmart/autozones etc. Id stock up and stay 2-3 oil changes ahead in supplies. Also, I have not done this but their is a 100 dollar permanent magnetic reusable oil filter.

3. Brake shops and 15 minute oil change shops usually wont work on some models like porsche out of stupidity ignorance and mainly because extreme insurance repairs for the engines if they leave out a drainplug . But with some print out instructions from Rennlist and do some begging on how simple it is and walk them through it they always comply.

I would also then do the owner supplied parts from my stock pile........I usually get oil changes done for 37 bucks in labor. I got all 4 pads replaced at Just for Brakes near my house for 100 bucks and another 75 they gave me a flush too.

4. On tires, I found a local used tire shop next to my house in dallas. I left them my number and constantly called so they knew I was serious. Any time they got a Michelin Energy MVX4, i think thats it, 235/65/17 in, I wanted to buy any tire without any previous patches and about 80% tread. so for 40 bucks a pop, I kept putting new used tires on the P!G. 160 bucks a set......no disposal fee either and they said they "balanced" them.

Luckily I found new employment and moved to Austin. However for a 1 and half plus, I was scrounging for parts, oil, tires, and driving a limo on the weekends to make ends meet and not neglect the P!G too.

Again, i have the entry level Cayenne........to me its not sacrilege doing any of this.......

I went from about 3k-5k a year in mainenance costs, to about 500 preventative costs?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

I appreciate the hell out of the counsel. This thing is going to happen, it's just finding the right vehicle at the right price. I've already got a blank check on the way from the credit union.

There's a 2005 V6, 30k, CPO, for $29k a couple hours away, which is a pain. But, it has the tow package and the roof rails, which I want; and the low miles and the CPO are very compelling. I haven't driven a V6, so that's a question. The other drawback is that it's beige; there are so very many beige, silver, and gray Cayennes.

I really want a red one...

There's a dealership near my in-laws which has two (although both are gray):
  • 2006 Cayenne, 49k, $25k
  • 2006 Cayenne S, 46k, $28k

Other than the motors, that looks like a tossup to me, is it?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I appreciate the hell out of the counsel. This thing is going to happen, it's just finding the right vehicle at the right price. I've already got a blank check on the way from the credit union.

There's a 2005 V6, 30k, CPO, for $29k a couple hours away, which is a pain. But, it has the tow package and the roof rails, which I want; and the low miles and the CPO are very compelling. I haven't driven a V6, so that's a question. The other drawback is that it's beige; there are so very many beige, silver, and gray Cayennes.

I really want a red one...

There's a dealership near my in-laws which has two (although both are gray):
  • 2006 Cayenne, 49k, $25k
  • 2006 Cayenne S, 46k, $28k

Other than the motors, that looks like a tossup to me, is it?
um........trust the 06 S with CPO to 100k..........escrow 5k and youre set forever.

Go S under warranty..........you'll be in charge of brakes, tires, oil, and gas.........however cant tell if that one is CPO.

Atleast you can get a powertrain warranty from your credit union for cheaper than a dealer if CPO is not avaliable.........

The v6 from 05 with a CPO seems like a win win for dealer as few problems as they have, so go with the S. Way more power and chance for you to customize outside of wheels and roor rails etc.

Quick Reply: You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...