Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We may bitch but there are some originals still here (brave souls) with over 100K and are still not that worried.

You need to spend some money on occasion but its still a good ride. One with between 20k and 60k miles will serve you well if you get it for the right price, that is

Selling Price - $5k for the escrow account for repairs = Purchase price
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole
There are several owners with over 200K on theirs with little issues. (which gives them little reason to come here).

This is also the most negative Cayenne Forum on the net. Go ask this same question on 6speedOnline, Pelican, Renntech, Planet9 and others.
I've never seen a glowing recommendation of an early Cayenne on those other sites. You could go a week at Renntech before a new post. They basically are all the same..people with problems.

I guess we could convince Lewis to stop posting pictures of chicken jumping off the cliff...or stop using the term "P!g" but that would **** Pops off and we wouldn't want to do that.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
I've never seen a glowing recommendation of an early Cayenne on those other sites. .
You also don't have gang "beat in" of evey new member that askes a question about a Cayenne on there.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner

I guess we could convince Lewis to stop posting pictures of chicken jumping off the cliff...or stop using the term "P!g" but that would **** Pops off and we wouldn't want to do that.
Or we could convince those who don't like it here to stop posting here and hang out elsewhere
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Ya know, I bought my 04S around 6 months ago with 50K miles (Full history and maintained very well), I have driven it over 13K miles since I bought it and it's really a great truck. Ready for some brakes and I just put new rubber on it. Not a big deal.
The price of admission on my heavily optioned S was to be fair, pretty damn cheap.

If I have to dump 5K into it, so be it. I have owned many Porsches and other European cars, None of them have been cheap to maintain and many of them had possible weaknesses.
I have seen all the issues people mention on this forum and if I had bought the car new at it's original 75K MSRP and had all those issues I might be bitter as well but I bought a used car, read about all the possible problems and it is what it is. If you can have that attitude go ahead and buy one.

Just my .00955 cents
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Or we could convince those who don't like it here to stop posting here and hang out elsewhere

Nah, that would kill the party!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While I like the cliff diving photos, I always pictured Lewis sitting in his lawn chair, drinking Purlpleasaurus Rex at the bottom of a Wyle E. Coyote type cliff, not at the base of some body of water.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

I stopped by my dealer/mechanic and they think they can find me a mechanically sound '05 V6 with 50k or so on the clock at auction in the low to mid $20k region. He thinks he can do the same for an '04 V8 with 60k-70k on it.

At this point, I'm more inclined to go for the V6 than the V8.

Putting $5k into repairing a car over the life of the car is to be expected. Heck, I put more than that into my SHO in putting 170k on it. But I don't want to put $5k in every year...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I stopped by my dealer/mechanic and they think they can find me a mechanically sound '05 V6 with 50k or so on the clock at auction in the low to mid $20k region. He thinks he can do the same for an '04 V8 with 60k-70k on it.

They are not rocketships but i have no regrets getting the v6. If you step on it it will go pretty good. The only complaints people had about the original v6 (according to my Porsche salesman friend) was that it shifted gears a little too often trying to keep the engine in higher rpms for power, but its never bothered me at all, especially with the sport exhaust.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford

Putting $5k into repairing a car over the life of the car is to be expected. Heck, I put more than that into my SHO in putting 170k on it. But I don't want to put $5k in every year...
Ask your dealer for a CPO P!g and offer to pay for it as part of the purchase price....and if he says no, ask him why.
The CPO is well worth it...that us fact, not opinion. CPO is much better than self insuring.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
There is something humorous about someone who keeps coming back to complain about people complaining, especially after he says all the complaining is why he no longer posts here.

That kind of compulsive behavior is going to cause chafing soon...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Divot
While I like the cliff diving photos, I always pictured Lewis sitting in his lawn chair, drinking Purlpleasaurus Rex at the bottom of a Wyle E. Coyote type cliff, not at the base of some body of water.
Life is good...

Oh, that was a good dive from a Newbie....

Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think that RL is any more negative than other forums. But on any forum, human nature being what it is, you're considerably more likely to see posts about how "my clutch exploded and the dealer is an idiot" than you are "Hi guys, my name is Bob, and I love my car".

Not saying that Cayennes don't have legitimate problems, only that the complaints on web forums aren't necessarily a representative sample, based on the nature of what motivates people to post about their issues in the first place. To the OP, don't be scared, life's too short. Find a well kept Cayenne, assume there will be some cost to keeping it running, and enjoy the hell out of driving it while you can.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pick up the Dec. 2010 issue of excellence mag, they break down the (potential) problem areas pretty well I thought.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are able to do some repairs on your own, brakes, oil, general maitenance, etc. you will be fine. Dont be afraid to buy a Cayenne, it is a great driving car and worth a couple of headaches. All the bashing is in good fun, my brother has a BMW and it has many more issues than my Cayenne.

Quick Reply: You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...