Sponsored by:

03 CS transmission clunk,jerk,harsh down shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, I don't recall a transmission flush on an alpha/beta fixing a clunk...
Wells said. Took mine in last week to face the music on the annoying clunk. Indy shop I'd never used before said he read out a Torque Converter error code. He said he thought it wasn't the valve body, and with such clunks, they start with a transmission fluid flush to see if that helps. $450 later, it is exactly the same.

Anyone had success with a torque converter replacement actually curing the clunk? I thought some sort of Porsche tech bulletin said this was a valve body issue. I don't want to waste any more money on fixes that aren't actual fixes...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 AM
leonl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The parts have been revised more than once and you have to have the correct controls for a specific valve body -- even the step motor was changed and I was told this required a control change.

I know that the early valve bodies had issues that caused this because I was told that my 06 had the newest one and so replacing it would not help - I had clunky sounding downshifts. The VB was evidently the usual suspect.

The largest improvements came from having the step motor changed - it was not moving to the fully "off" position -- do you ever get an intermittent 4 wheel drive warning?

Another surprise was how sensitive the transmission was to having the fluid level a little off.

In the end Porsche changed it all again (including the VB) also one of the mounts - to the newest revisions and I have never had the problem again. They could not pinpoint the exact part causing the problem ?
Happy new year. Sorry to bring up an old post. I have been reading regarding the clunk issues and pretty sure it is the valve body until now. I have an 06 CTT, it gets the vibration especially going from 4th to 5th. Also, when down shift from 5th to 4th gets the clunk. Most reading and research points to valve body. Is that an issue on 06 also? Since it is out of warranty, where is a good place to purchase a valve body and what is the going price on one? Thank u.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Cuba
Instructor

I have the same question. 05CTT with 65K miles and it is a very intermittent problem, the kind you'd never get to happen when a tech is in the car. For me it seems to be when cruising at light throttle then giving it some gas but not flooring it, the last time it happened it was a pretty huge clunk and I saw it trying to change from 6th to 4th. Chu-chunk and it hesitates a second then goes. I'm visiting my friend the audi/vw shop foreman next month for st. patty's so if this is a known issue I'd like to just order the parts and bring them with me, along with diverter valves and such. Any advice? VB's seem to be the culprit?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneKid
Hey guys i have 03 CS and when the transmission gets Warm it Down Shifts really hard from 3 to 2nd and once ive driven it for more than 20 minutes it starts to up shift hard also. what can the problem be? the vavle body for the transmission? maybe some type of reset can or might fix this???....I would really appreciate the help..thanks.
My CTT started to do that on all shifts in combination with all 6 gear indicators being illuminated at the same time, cured by replacement EGR valve.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure how similar this write up is to do it yourself:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ment-completed
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Seems like a simple fix if I can find where to buy one. I'd guess I'm at the early stages of this as I've had it happen maybe four times in the past 3K miles but on further research it sounds exactly like what others have dealt with. So drain, swap, refill, and make sure the software is up to date from the sound of it.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

The Vortex writeup is for a ZF6HP transmission but it is very similar to the Aisin transmission in the Cayenne as far as the filter & valve body go. A fairly simple process really, the only technical problem is the trans temp to be exact, the Vagcom program works really well for Volks/Audi products but the Durametric doesn't work as well for ours (I have both and work on both Porsche & Audi vehicles). I think running the Cayenne and refilling for about 10 minutes then capping the filler plug off would be about right, no more than about 15 minutes. It's better to be slightly overfilled then underfilled when it comes to tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: 03 CS transmission clunk,jerk,harsh down shifts