Sponsored by:

Final '11 C Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Final '11 C Build

**Posted this on 6speedonline as well. This is to get those opinions who aren't active on 6speed. Thanks!**

Ok, so after spending a ton of time on the vehicle configurator, I realized that the Cayenne V6 is the way to go for me. It stays within my budget and allows me to get the suspension mods that I feel will let me enjoy driving this car. And, I think i'd always regret getting an auto . Here is it. Let me know what you guys think and if there's anything i'm missing or should consider. Thanks!

PU6 BOSE® Audio Package $2,160
Exterior Color R6 Sand White $0
Interior Color MD Standard Interior in Platinum Grey $0
Deletion of Model Designation $0
3FU Panorama Roof System $1,850
QJ4 Exterior Package in High-gloss Black $150
Extended Range Fuel Tank $0
1BK Air Suspension with Self-levelling and
Height Adjustment with PASM $3,980
1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) $1,490
Wheels CP5 20" RS Spyder Design Wheel $3,510
Wheel Accessories 1NP Wheel Hub Cover with Colored Porsche Crest $185
HT0 Summer Performance Tires for 20" Wheels $0
Interior 4X4 Rear Side Airbags $0
7V3 Instruments Dials in White Exclusive $860
9JA Non-smoker Package $0
FZ1 Seat Belts in Guards Red Exclusive $650
PE6 18-way Adaptive Sports Seats with Memory Package $2,205
Interior Carbon 2FX Heated Three-spoke Multi-function Steering Wheel in Carbon Fiber $615
Audio and Communications 7T1 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module and universal audio interface $3,645

A few questions, also:
1) Is servotronic really worth it? I like steering wheel feel and really dont like that 1-finger steering like on my S class.
2) Non-smoker package - anyone have pics of what changes?
3) I didn't get any of the lighting packages. I assume that there are still interior lights without it???? What interior lights come standard
4) Are the all-seasons good enough not to sacrifice much performance and also handle NY winters? Currently I have the summer tire option, and would plan to get seperate rims/snow tires.
5) Does the Pana roof add or subtract weight from the car? Is it significant? Still undecided on this....need to see it in person!!
6) Anything else i should know?

Thanks guys for all your help with this! Its much appreciated
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The pano roof is amazing and would be great for driving around NYC.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
King Luis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

non-smoker package changes the ashtrays to storage trays and cigarette lighter to a power port thing.

imo, winter tires for winter, summer for summer, all season for nothing.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

IMO: A dedicated winter/tire wheel will outperform all weather- tire and protect original wheels from all the crud that accumulates during bad weather driving. I like pana roof for its “phototherapy” and have it on my build. It is lighter and less expensive than the pana roof og the previous gen Cayenne. If you like manual then V6 is your ticket but be aware that the V-6 is an updated version of the engine introduced at the 2007 midlife makeover of the first-generation Cayenne. It's a member of the Volkswagen Group's engine family and some reviews suggest that it is slightly underpowered and others say that the power and torque is fine but the refinement is a little lacking to be worthy of a Porsche badge. But everyone who has gotten one seem to like it in this and other Porsche forums and that tells you something coming from auto-enthusiasts.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a great build! love the colour combo. I think the v6 w/the manual transmission is going to have plenty of power - I hope so, I've got one on order ;-) Really cool to see more people going for the manual trans!

as for servotronic, on the panamera forum some people have complained that it makes the steering too light. these tend to be guys that also drives ferraris and lambos. haven't heard many people w/cayenne's complain about that. most of the articles I've read have praised the steering on the Cayenne w/servotronic.

lighting: because you're getting the memory package on the seats you pick up the outside courtesy lights. this means you get the same number of lights as in the light comfort package, with the exception of the dimmable ambient lighting in the door panles and an extra power socket in the backseat. otherwise you get the same number of lights, but the are LED with the lighting package. w/o the package they are still bright, but with the LED lights they are really extra bright.

pano roof: the weight gain is pretty minimal, I think I read somewhere it's around 70lbs. but it does eliminate a roof cross member, and some of the older Cayenne owners have complained about squeaks and rattles. if you get it be sure your insurance covers the glass on your vehicle if you live where there's lots of snow -- a buddy has a LandRover lr3 with the pano roof and it cracked due to the difference in temp from the snow on the roof and the warm air in the cabin. Pretty expensive to replace. looks very cool though!

congrats on your build, and let us know about timing and discount % once you place your order.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I think it's a big mistake to PTV, PSM, Spyder wheels, 18 way seats and cosmetic options (like painted dials and colored belts) and forego the CS.

Lots of people seem to be following your line of thought-- loading up very expensive options, including performance options-- in a V6. To each his own, but I just don't get that. The reason this car performs like a Porsche is mostly because of that engine... The V6 isn't even manufactured by Porsche.

Nix those options, and you're in a CS...plus the pano roof is $1200 cheaper when you get the S. The Bose may alslo be cheaper when you're in the S, but I don't recall.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
cardfelon
Track Day

What about the xenon headlamps?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
I think it's a big mistake to PTV, PSM, Spyder wheels, 18 way seats and cosmetic options (like painted dials and colored belts) and forego the CS.

Lots of people seem to be following your line of thought-- loading up very expensive options, including performance options-- in a V6. To each his own, but I just don't get that. The reason this car performs like a Porsche is mostly because of that engine... The V6 isn't even manufactured by Porsche.

Nix those options, and you're in a CS...plus the pano roof is $1200 cheaper when you get the S. The Bose may alslo be cheaper when you're in the S, but I don't recall.
C&D said it perfectly here:
"Porsche’s athletic SUV currently offers a six-speed manual only in the V-6 version, but who cares? It may be slower than V-8 versions, but the V-6 Cayenne handles as well as its more powerful stablemates, and the stick gives it a bit stronger connection to Porsche’s sports cars than just the crest on the hood. Plus, it’s weird, and that counts for something, right? "

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ssion_-feature
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Ah, sorry, somehow I missed that you wanted the stick and it's not available in the V-8. It might be in development for next year. You might also be able to find a manual GTS on the market that has the V-8 performance at a similar price point (or less) than what you are paying.

It's just that $20,000+ in options on a $45k car seems like a lot. That sucker is going to really depreciate.

Also, is the stick geared as an 8 speed? I have to say, the new 8 speed transmission is wonderous in many ways, and a quantum leap ahead of the prior 6 speed tip.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Ah, sorry, somehow I missed that you wanted the stick and it's not available in the V-8. It might be in development for next year. You might also be able to find a manual GTS on the market that has the V-8 performance at a similar price point (or less) than what you are paying.

It's just that $20,000+ in options on a $45k car seems like a lot. That sucker is going to really depreciate.

Also, is the stick geared as an 8 speed? I have to say, the new 8 speed transmission is wonderous in many ways, and a quantum leap ahead of the prior 6 speed tip.
its a 6 speed manual gearbox. 8 gears would be nuts!!

I agree with you but its either getting a car exactly to my specs or sacrificing certain things and always wishing i had them. I need to price these out but i will certainly look into a lightly optioned CS too!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I drove a C and CS demo for a week before going with the C.
Yeah sure, the V8 is stronger than the V6, but I hardly noticed it under normal driving conditions, from 0-60/70mph, Honestly I couldnt tell the difference, but from there to 100mph or above it was a whole different story.
BTW I think the V6 engine (Or Muffler?) sounds nicer than the V8.

Another thing that convinced me to go with the V6 was that the Demo I drove didnt have the Servotronic option. The CS comes std with it at least in my country.
The steering felt more precise and tight, almost the same feeling as my BMW X5 3.0sd.
I hated that light steering feel of the CS when driving at very low speed, definetely overboosted.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX
its a 6 speed manual gearbox. 8 gears would be nuts!!

I agree with you but its either getting a car exactly to my specs or sacrificing certain things and always wishing i had them. I need to price these out but i will certainly look into a lightly optioned CS too!
I hear you....

Either way you go, I'm sure you will love it.... Congrats!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

You are missing:

Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirros
Bi Xenon inc. Dynamic Light System
Multifunction Steering wheel
Comfort Lighting package
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

agree, get the S in your case... your basically maxing out a v6 for the same price you could have a slightly optioned v8 and more fun.

i ordered a v6 so this is me going against my own decision because you are spending tons on options.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is kind of exactly what happened to me, my base Cayenne build loaded was very close to a lightly, but nicely optioned CS. I went with the CS, which started out lightly optioned, but ended up well optioned. I do think the 3.6 is nice, but the 4.8 engine is amazing.

I suppose that is what Porsche is hoping for, the pricing structure is such that it seems to make sense to jump to the next trim level. Luckily I was able to stop before I made it to CTT...

Quick Reply: Final '11 C Build