Sponsored by:

Low Coolant warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant warning light

So last night when I started my Cayenne the coolant temperature reading (?)(the one to the right above the fuel read) arrow went all the way up to the 250 mark and I had the low coolant red warning light in the center. So I restarted my car and it went back to normal. My brother told me it was probably just a bad start; is this possibly true, or should I be worried?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you pop the hood afterwards to physically check the coolant level on the expansion tank?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Hey, sorry for the late update and sorry for not responding, I have been a bit busy. Anyways, the coolant level on the tank is just fine, but there is a problem the Cayenne when it is cold apparently. My brother was using it for towing last weekend, and he complained that when he started the car the coolant temp. gauge would spike to 250 degrees, the light would come on, some things were a bit glitchy, such as fiddling with the window for 10 minutes before it went down or up, and when he used the back ones, the sunscreens would go up when he pressed down on the switch/lever/button (not sure what to call it ). He also said the radio would fade in and out. He said after restarting the car a few times and getting it warmed up, it finally worked normally. I am wondering what would cause it to act like this in the cold, it has been between 30-45 degrees Fahrenheit for the last few days in the southeast. Maybe when it snowed it could have affected something, but I am not sure. If it does act up again, I will take it to the dealer. I may just start it up tomorrow morning and see what it does.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow ...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

don't fear the reaper
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What this post needs more of is coolant
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we name the 2011 yet? What's next...C is for Charlie, no?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

To the OP:
I would suggest taking the vehicle in to the dealer, since you are experiencing intermittent failures in (at least) 2 module systems.

It might just be a low battery condition...if you're lucky...
Based on what you described, it might not log any DTC's, but a quick PIWIS check will verify this.
Good luck.

editorial comment: Funny how towing just seems to bring out the character
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Funny thing is that I did not mention is that he did not tow that weekend, he had to do it this upcoming weekend because of some stuff that came up, but he might use my father's range rover. All we did was add a adapter to attach the electrical plug of the trailer for the brake lights to work. So far I turned it on for about 5 minutes and nothing went wrong, but I have to be somewhere in the next few minutes, so I will test it more a little bit later. I will try to take it by the dealer tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the wiring on the trailer plug isn't screwed up some way it sounds like you need an exorcism on this thing.......

or a new alt/battery.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Well, I took it to the dealer yesterday, and they found no problems and no fault codes. Apparently from what I have been told and understand though, is that the Cayenne's system stores any fault codes if they appear, even if the warning goes away. So the service manager told me to send him a picture if the warning comes up or anything happens. So, it was 40 degrees this morning and the coolant temp. gauge shot up and the warning light came on, and so I took a picture of it and sent it to him. The warning went away and the gauge returned to normal after the car warmed up a little bit though (about 3-5 minutes). So I think something may be freezing inside the engine at night maybe or either the electrical system is a bit glitchy in the cold for some odd reason. The mechanic was gone for the day when I sent the service manager the picture, so it won't be until Monday if I know anything.
I know this is a very good chance it is not the cause, but when it snowed here it got down to about 15-20 degrees( might have been between 16-20, can't remember exactly) Fahrenheit for about 2-3 days during the night (20-28 during the day). I asked my dad or brother if I should have gone to get a oil change so I could use 0w-40 for a bit, and they told me it would be pointless for how long it would be that cold. The reason I bring this up is because I use Mobil1 5w-40 and it says to only use when the temperature is 17 degrees and up. I may be completely wrong on this, I am just guessing.
Bill, this started before the trailer plug was attached, so it is definitely not that.
ltc, with the Battery, wouldn't the voltage level be low if it was a low battery condition?

Last edited by Alichtenberg; 01-29-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Needed to put a word in and take out a period
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 AM
elixr
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my "low coolant" light (2005 S) came on friday morning as i was merging from one freeway to another... taking the curve a little spirited... looong left hander.

the temp gauges never moved, i drove to my destination (a couple miles) and had to run (didn't check coolant level). and haven't gotten the warning light again (it was dark again when i got back).

but i did get a signal indicator warning light (and the double blink) twice since then, and after checking, all my lights are working.... ???
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (03-12-2021)
Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

always happens on my pig too, just top it off a bit and it will prevent that

Quick Reply: Low Coolant warning light