Sponsored by:

Porsche Canada / Import from US / European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
AK1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Canada / Import from US / European Delivery

Hi, newbie here so please excuse any obvious (or non-obvious -)) faux pas.

I am shopping for a 2011 Cayenne or Cayenne S and have identified the following approache. I would appreciate any comments / guidance :

1) Porsche Canada. Up to 6 months wait list according to Vancouver dealer. Unattractive finance / lease rates approx. 7%. Foreign currency credit available. Based on today's rates, credit it would be $2,500 for Cayenne and $5,000 for Cayenne S.

2) Buy in US. As of today, autotrader.com has approx. 28 used vehicles throughout US. I would likely engage a middle person to do the import for me. Have read up on the issues / pitfalls. I understand there are 1 or 2 board members who specialize in this. Savings likely in the $5,000 to $10,000 range vs. Porsche Canada or better if a good deal can be struck south of the border.

3) European delivery via Porsche Canada. We are planning a European vacation for 5 weeks in June / July. Does anyone have any experience doing this via Porsche Canada? From searches on this forum it seems there is actually an additional fee to take European delivery?

4) European delivery via Porsche US. How does the US European delivery program compare to the Canadian program? Is it technically possible for a Canadian to use this program in a US Dealer if it is more financially attractive than the same program in Canada? If possible, I expect I would use the US the program, drive in Europe, take delivery in the US and import to Canada.

Thanks so much for any assistance...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I can only respond to a couple of your questions. First, there is a surcharge for Tourist delivery. The US Cayenne order guide lists a price of $1150 for the Cayenne, $2250 for the S, and $4075 for the Turbo. No tourist order code is shown for the Hybrid. Tourist deliveries are at the factory in Leipzig. Included are activities at the factory, 2 weeks insurance in Europe, and return shipment to the States. I imagine the program is the same for Canadian customers although the fees might be slightly higher since everything else on the car is more expensive.

The tourist delivery agreement for my '09 Carrera S refers repeatedly to "export to the United States/Canada" so my assumption is that everything about the program is very similar in both countries. I know nothing about what kind of additional import fees you would face if you bought the car through a US dealer and then imported to Canada after the fact. Normally Tourist delivery vehicles are shipped directly to the purchasing dealer although in 1999 I bought a Tourist car through Champion Porsche in Florida and had it delivered to a dealer in California so I know it can be done. That said, everything stayed in the States, so I don't know about buying in the US and shipping to a Canadian dealer. It might be possible but even if it is it may depend on your tolerance for additional hassle. You are required to show your passport at the factory so it's not like you can pretend to be a US citizen.

I'd check with your local dealer in Canada for more info as well as the European delivery section on the Porsche website. (The link on both the US and Canadian sites appear to connect to the same place). Tourist delivery is a great way to go, especially if you are going to be over there anyway. The hardest part is waiting the additional 4-6 weeks for your car to get back here after you've had a chance to drive it over there!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM
AK1
Intermediate

Hi and thanks for the response Mike in CA.

I am wondering if a US dealer or Canadian dealer can or will still extend any discount that might be negotiated for a local delivery if European delivery is chosen. For example, if a 5% discount can be obtained on MSRP $46,700 this is a $2,335 savings. Not sure if the dealer can or would offer this to a European delivery order.

I will also have to see if anyone can shed light if a Canadian can walk into a US dealership and order a Cayenne for European delivery. To take a simple example assuming currencies are at par:

$46,700 US base model Cayenne
$ 2,919 Add NAFTA duty for import to Canada
---------
$49,619

$58,200 Canadian base model Caynenne
$ 2,500 Deduct foreign currency credit offered by Porsche Canada
---------
$55,700

Savings approx. $6,000 less some import documentation fees etc. Of course the savings are higher with a fully configured purchase. I am assuming the European delivery fees are roughly equivalent in both countries.

Cheers...

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can only respond to a couple of your questions. First, there is a surcharge for Tourist delivery. The US Cayenne order guide lists a price of $1150 for the Cayenne, $2250 for the S, and $4075 for the Turbo. No tourist order code is shown for the Hybrid. Tourist deliveries are at the factory in Leipzig. Included are activities at the factory, 2 weeks insurance in Europe, and return shipment to the States. I imagine the program is the same for Canadian customers although the fees might be slightly higher since everything else on the car is more expensive.

The tourist delivery agreement for my '09 Carrera S refers repeatedly to "export to the United States/Canada" so my assumption is that everything about the program is very similar in both countries. I know nothing about what kind of additional import fees you would face if you bought the car through a US dealer and then imported to Canada after the fact. Normally Tourist delivery vehicles are shipped directly to the purchasing dealer although in 1999 I bought a Tourist car through Champion Porsche in Florida and had it delivered to a dealer in California so I know it can be done. That said, everything stayed in the States, so I don't know about buying in the US and shipping to a Canadian dealer. It might be possible but even if it is it may depend on your tolerance for additional hassle. You are required to show your passport at the factory so it's not like you can pretend to be a US citizen.

I'd check with your local dealer in Canada for more info as well as the European delivery section on the Porsche website. (The link on both the US and Canadian sites appear to connect to the same place). Tourist delivery is a great way to go, especially if you are going to be over there anyway. The hardest part is waiting the additional 4-6 weeks for your car to get back here after you've had a chance to drive it over there!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AK1
I am wondering if a US dealer or Canadian dealer can or will still extend any discount that might be negotiated for a local delivery if European delivery is chosen. For example, if a 5% discount can be obtained on MSRP $46,700 this is a $2,335 savings. Not sure if the dealer can or would offer this to a European delivery order.
I'm sure it depends on the dealer, your status with him, and the prevailing market. As a repeat customer I received a 7% discount on my European delivery Carrera back in 2009 when sales were slumping. The same dealer offered me 4% on my order this month for normal Stateside delivery of a Cayenne S. Given the current market for Cayennes I considered that fair. On a Euro delivery, if you are not a regular customer, it might be harder to get a deal now.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by AK1
4) European delivery via Porsche US. How does the US European delivery program compare to the Canadian program? Is it technically possible for a Canadian to use this program in a US Dealer if it is more financially attractive than the same program in Canada? If possible, I expect I would use the US the program, drive in Europe, take delivery in the US and import to Canada.
I can't help you with the Canadian stuff but here is a reflection of my experience in '07 with my GT3 (which might be completely outdated at this point):

There is a fee for Euro delivery as Mike states. In addition, I had to post a $15,000 deposit which was refunded to me when the car was registered in the US. I also signed a commitment not to export the car from the USA for one year (this might have been GT3 specific). Keep in mind that additional insurance after the 2 initial weeks is quite expensive.

If you're looking at driving a Porsche for 5 weeks in Europe just rent it as that would be much cheaper and less troublesome. If you still want to do Euro delivery, just call a Porsche dealer in the US and see what they say.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
AK1
Intermediate

Thanks, yes I see the numbers don't "stack up" for Euro delivery unless you want to pay for the experience...

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I can't help you with the Canadian stuff but here is a reflection of my experience in '07 with my GT3 (which might be completely outdated at this point):

There is a fee for Euro delivery as Mike states. In addition, I had to post a $15,000 deposit which was refunded to me when the car was registered in the US. I also signed a commitment not to export the car from the USA for one year (this might have been GT3 specific). Keep in mind that additional insurance after the 2 initial weeks is quite expensive.

If you're looking at driving a Porsche for 5 weeks in Europe just rent it as that would be much cheaper and less troublesome. If you still want to do Euro delivery, just call a Porsche dealer in the US and see what they say.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if this was discussed before however bear in mind that NO U.S. Porsche dealer will sell an untitled Porsche to a Canadian consumer. Period. There are no ifs, ands, or buts and this ruling comes straight down from Zuffenhausen.

A dealer demo also counts as "untitled". If the vehicle is pre-owned, that's a whole different story.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Originally Posted by AK1
Thanks, yes I see the numbers don't "stack up" for Euro delivery unless you want to pay for the experience...
My total Tourist delivery deposit was also $15K. $5K was for the actual deposit on the order and $10K was for the German Value Added Tax. As long as the car is exported to the US/Canada within six months of delivery the VAT is refunded in full with interest. I had no restrictions on subsequent export of my C2S out of the US so that issue, as Frank suggests, must be specific to the GT3 or other special models.

Euro delivery is a great experience, it saves the cost of renting a car, and you get to drive your new Porsche on the Autobahn. The big problem, as Frank points out, is the price for insuring a high end vehicle beyond the 2 weeks allowed by the program. Given your 5 week trip, you're right AK1, the numbers might not work for you.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AK1
Savings likely in the $5,000 to $10,000 range vs. Porsche Canada or better if a good deal can be struck south of the border.
Might want to check out the revised prices from Porsche Cars of Canada before going states-side: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...an-prices.html
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
AK1
Intermediate

Yes, I am waiting for configurator to be updated on Porsche Canada site.

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Might want to check out the revised prices from Porsche Cars of Canada before going states-side: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...an-prices.html
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Not sure if this was discussed before however bear in mind that NO U.S. Porsche dealer will sell an untitled Porsche to a Canadian consumer. Period. There are no ifs, ands, or buts and this ruling comes straight down from Zuffenhausen.

A dealer demo also counts as "untitled". If the vehicle is pre-owned, that's a whole different story.
Not entirely true. My parents are Canadian and purchased a new Boxster last year in Scottsdale. They titled it in AZ and signed a waiver stating that the car would not be exported from the US for 2 years. They bought it to keep at their winter home in AZ.

So you will not be able to purchase new and export. That likely rules out US purchase and Euro delivery.

For used, I just imported an '09 GTS (private sale/lease buyout) and had no problems. I had a broker do the paperwork for boarder for me as it is my company car and canada customs makes it more work for "commercial" imports. If you are doing it personally it is so easy (I have imported 14 vehicle over the last 4 years both personally and for company vehicles). I had it shipped to a storage yard on US side of boarder (half the price of shipping the extra 300km from boarder to Calgary) and picked it up there. No issues on the import or with the local dealer for warr work (they noticed the pdcc pump was making noise when they did the provincial inspection). I had the RIV sticker in less than 3 weeks.

if you want more info on importing feel free to email me racing at whissell.ca
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche just announced an across the board price reduction in Canada, not sure it will make up the difference compared to shopping in the US, but may be worth looking into.....

Cheers
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 AM
AK1
Intermediate

Yes, it does make a difference. The Cayenne I was configuring prior to the price reduction has dropped $7,000. This makes the decision to buy in Canada much easier, which I am sure is exactly what Porsche Canada wants.

Originally Posted by altonj
Porsche just announced an across the board price reduction in Canada, not sure it will make up the difference compared to shopping in the US, but may be worth looking into.....

Cheers
Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know, I didn't do a direct comparison or build but saw the ad in the Vancouver Sun paper, a full page!

How close do the prices get with the 7K discount. I think we still get bent over, so to speak, as our dollar is currently worth more.....

I wonder what it will do to the price of GT3 I am looking at....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still get the currency rebate with the new lowered price?

Quick Reply: Porsche Canada / Import from US / European Delivery