Sponsored by:

Oil comparison from down under

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
randu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil comparison from down under

This is a comparison I found on another site about synthetic oil. Some of the results surprised me. I am not affiliated with any of the brands but thought their conclusions were interesting. This test was done in Australia.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Randy
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

very interesting
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The question that needs to be answered is where is that downward force in an engine? And what are the values of the force.

It is like the old sludge advertisements -- where select oils were heated to tempters way past those ever found in an engine. The failure temp of a particular oil was meaningless in determining sludge formation.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know anything about downward forces. What I do know something about is abrasion and an oil's ability to substantially reduce abrasion between two surfaces by reducing friction. Mobil 1 didn't take to the task too well.

Point made: Mobil 1 European Formula costs more and performs less than motor oils half its price. What a sham (not shame)! I hope PAG reads this report and performs their own independant study.

Thanks to Randy for the link.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Well, you need to know about downward forces because it is measuring the point when those forces first cause the scouring to start - the degree of scoring after that is meaningless.

It is a way of determining if a formula is adequate for a task -- both before and after use.

I'm not sure if 2lb on the arm is a lot as the machine has a force multiplier -- but the force on the point is much more than two pounds.

Say you need to protect something from a max of 25lb. One formula gives you 26lb all day and one gives you 75lb. Is the 75lb better for the task ? You only need it to protect it at 25lb. So testing at 35lb tells you nothing

This is a very simplistic example.

Regular oil has been shown to allow current engines to outlast most of the rest of the car if changed within a reasonable degree.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

On checking around, a race shop near me stocks this stuff for the local street racer drag heads. I am going to talk to dealer. For high mileage units like mine it might make sense to freeze the wear
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

The form of inappropriate oil testing in the article dupes a lot of enthusiasts and the folks involved probably don't even know it's inappropriate product testing.

FYI- the Falex lubricity test procedure is an old ball bearing test procedure developed by Timken bearing that was never intended for, nor applicable to any auto engine using plain bearings. In addition the Falex lubricity test method was only intended to be used to test EP additives in GREASE, not oils. Because this test methodology is unreliable it is no longer considered an acceptable test even for grease.

Unfortunately the oil test results in this story are worthless and misleading. If you want to know how an oil actually performs in your engine then you need to conduct the thorough, time consuming and expensive oil test sequence for the engine family in question. This is what the car mfgs. do to determine the appropriate oil for a given engine family. Nothing else will provide reliable, objective oil performance data including a UOA which is designed to tell only if an oil is still serviceable and what contaminants are present.

Those selling oil however will use every means at their disposal to dupe the uninformed and that includes some auto enthusiast magazines.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

OMG you mean we cant trust oil companies !!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

It is not about trusting the oil companies.

This magazine use testing equipment to evaluate the oil as if those evaluations have some relevance to the claims about the oil as it pertains to a internal combustion engine.

Your not "freezing the wear" -- you prevent it in the first place using the proper product.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

To late for that by the looks of it at 114K

Quick Reply: Oil comparison from down under