Sponsored by:

Running boards: Pros and Cons.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Running boards: Pros and Cons.

I am going back and forth and still cannot decide if I should get running boards. One day I want it and then the next day I call the dealer to cancel it. My sales consultant tells me in all these years he has never seen anyone get one with these on which worried me.. This is our first SUV so I don't know how big of a deal it would be to get in and out. The main reason I wanted it in the first place was for the ease it would provide for getting out (more so than getting in) of the vehicle. My wife is 5'2". During the short test drive, I had her get out of the 18-way seats a few times. Despite a very conscious effort to avoid putting pressure on the side bolster (which is quite prominent on 18-way seats) , her body rubbed and put pressure on it each time. We both worry about the wear factor on the seats over a period of time. Now for someone who changes their car every 3 to 5 years this is a non-issue but we keep our cars for a very long time (which is one of the reasons I went with natural leather since it wears well over time IMO) and would hate to see a drivers seat outer bolster showing its age over time. I'm 6' so I don't really need to use them while getting in/out of the vehicle. My friend has an X5 with running boards and certainly getting out is that much easier when you plant your foot on the running board and lift off the seat. He says it has even prevented door dings when the door of smaller vehicles bang into his runningboard and not the painted portion of his X5. I like the look of them on his SUV but have never seen one in a Cayenne. On the cons side is the look which may not be everyone's liking (although I think the aluminium running boards will not look bad at all on a black Cayenne which is our color), the additional weight, cost (it is a pricey option at $1550) possibility of hitting your shin when you enter the vehicle and slipping when trying to use it for leverage to get out. Please tell me what you would do....I think I know the answer

Oh, I do want to mention that I am getting the air suspension which can lower the vehicle but not sure how big of a deal that would be in aiding the driver to get out of the vehicle. Would like to hear your thoughts on that too.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Cayenne is not that tall for an SUV, so getting in even for my 7 & 9 year old is not that difficult and I can reach the entire roof when washing. I do have to step on the door sill or rear tire to strap my surfboard on the roof, whereas with my GX or LR3 I just used the sidesteps; but those are very tall SUV's that you also really do need the sidesteps to get in if you are old or young.

I witnessed the LR3's sidesteps save a door ding, which did not please the offending lady in her Mercedes GL who kicked her door open. And after 3 years the LR3 did not have one door ding, despite my wife parking it *****-nilly.

I do agree with you on the sidesteps saving the seats, as evidenced by my wife's RR; which does not have sidesteps, and are showing a lot of wear from her sliding out of the seat - ugh. I would have sidesteps on my Cayenne were I ordering it, for offroading and all the reasons you mentioned; but most on this forum will tell you they are ugly and do not belong on a Cayenne.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think they look kinda weird. I had an X5 and didn't get the running boards, and feel they look even more out of place on a cayenne. To be fair, we are not talking about mounting a Layland truck!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, they're unnecessary and a bit of an eye-sore. Mine came with 'em and I took 'em off; sold 'em on eBay for fifty bucks. Overall, I like running boards and nerf bars. I've owed Tahoes, Expeditions, Cherokees, Escalades and had them on all of those vehicles. On those, the look was improved and the function was obvious. On Cayennes, however, they just look kinda silly, as the Cayenne is so much lower than full size SUV's and trucks. I have kids (8 and 10) who very easily enter/exit without any problem.

If you like the look and want them for that reason, go for it. If you're on the fence because of the function factor, I'd take a pass.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen a Cayenne with running boards, and I hope I never do.

Quick Reply: Running boards: Pros and Cons.