Sponsored by:

Major Leak, Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 AM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Leak, Need help!

I just put a new engine in my 2005 Cayenne. After I put 3k kms. I had engine checked by dealer about 1 1/2 month later, listen to what they wrote "Checked engine torque mount and mount is still good, lifted vehicle and found under body soaked in transmission fluid due to faulty torque convertor seal and no torque convertor inspection cover installed" I lost 4 liters of transmission oil.

Do you think the transmission leak is caused by improper installation of the engine? We did not have this leak before. Also, I know the transmission takes 10 litres of oil. Does anybody know what is the minimum amount of oil needed before it causes damage to the engine/transmission? Car seems to be running rough.

13 hours @ $140 per hr plus parts to fix a seal problem that I think should have been fixed when they replaced the engine. btw the engine was 13K remanufactured with a 2yr warranty.

I would like to know if you guys think the dealer should pay for this type of a problem or should it be me due to the age of the car. (2005 cayenne s) with 167k kms.

Thx
Adam
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There would have been no reason for them to replace the torque converter seal at that time if it wasn't leaking before the engine swap. The torque converter seal is behind the torque converter and is installed in the transmission case (not on the engine). Replacing the engine obviously would require removing the transmission from your old engine and installing it on your new engine. There is an outside chance the seal could have been damaged during the swap but I would say its very unlikely. If it would have been damaged at that time it would have started leaking immediately. The torque converter seal is becoming the second most common leak on the cayenne, behind the coolant pipes obviously but its not notorious enough yet that the dealer would recommend it any time the engine is out or the transmission is removed.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is already being discussed on another topic started by the O.P. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...anny-leak.html

Oh wait, here's another...https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...need-help.html

Adam, I think that you're looking for a miracle cure of not having to pay for your tranny leak repair. I wish you the best of luck but unfortunately, I don't think this will happen for you man.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

Sorry about the second post. I don't know how to delete the other post, rookie mistake.

I understand the torque converter seal is in a different area but the transmission must come out with the engine. So if your not very careful taking the tranny out it will break the seal. I bet 9 times out of 10 it would leak. I should have been notified of this and there should have been a recommendation to replace the seal when the engine was out. 4 litres is a lot of oil in just over 1 month.

Now if this is a common problem like you say, this should have been a no brainer to the Porsche tech.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

9 times out of 10? Not a chance. I think more like 1 time out of 10, if that. Transmission leaks are not common on the Cayenne but if there is one, its usually the torque converter seal. I definitely disagree with your statement that replacing the seal was a no brainer. Rebuilding the engine should have been a no brainer too There over 100,000 miles on your Cayenne, you should probably come to accept the fact that things might start to go wrong it and you just might end up paying for it.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:30 PM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

Just wanted to update everyone on my Transmission Leak. Just got the car back from MCL and Porsche Canada covered the entire cost. $2200.00.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's good news!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Vino
Racer

That is good news for sure!

Quick Reply: Major Leak, Need help!