Sponsored by:

New Engin, Now have a tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 AM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engin, Now have a tranny leak

I just had the engine replaced by the dealer 3 week ago, they said the transmission is leaking. I was told the engine will need to come out to fix the problem. The dealer is not covering this. Shouldn't this be covered under the new warranty with the engine. Can anyone help 2005 Cayenne.

Adam from Vancouver B.C
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Do you have a warranty or CPO? How many miles do you have on your Cayenne?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So while they had the engine out they noticed a tranny leak, and installed the new engine, then tell you the engine has to come out to fix the leak?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

I have a 2 year manufactures warranty. 167k on the car and 3500k on the new engine.

When they replaced the engine I would think they would make sure it wouldn't leak. Is there a gasket that should be replaced when installing the new engine to the transmission.

When I picked up the car with the new engine they said no leaks in the transmission area and I specifically asked them if it looked ok when they were working on it. I spoke directly with the tech because I wanted to make sure everything was ok. They said the engine needs to come out to fix the problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine out is not that bad a job at a dealer, they have the jigs and lifts
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Find out more info from the dealer as to where exactly the leak is present. If it's from the input shaft seal, you may have a case against them as this may be a direct cause of mis-manipulating the transmission when separating it from the engine.

The engine and transmission should come out from the vehicle as a whole. Once bench-seated, the transmission gets separated from the engine.

If the leak stems from the ATF lines onto the transmission, it may be a bit harder. Hopefully, the lines weren't forced when the engine was removed.

Good luck. Either way, your luck is basically in their hands.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
adamlloyd
7th Gear

Had engine checked by dealer last week they wrote "Checked engine torque mount and mount is still good, lifted vehicle and found under body soaked in transmission fluid due to faulty torque convertor seal and no torque convertor inspection cover installed"

Do you think the transmission leak is caused by improper installation of the engine? We did not have this leak before. Also, I know the transmission takes 10 litres of oil. Does anybody know what is the minimum amount of oil needed before it causes damage to the engine/transmission? Car seems to be running rough.

Quick Reply: New Engin, Now have a tranny leak